Plex Ending HTPC Support
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/pl...203303541/

So in short, Plex is abandoning support for it's TV friendly '10 Foot Interface' on PC and desktop will become a purely 'Mouse and Keyboard' affair.  Despite this, that TV UI will have to continue on for game consoles, Smart TVs and Android STBs, but it'll die on HTPCs. o.O

Funny, I had only just started tinkering with Plex for streaming options outside of my home since Kodi is mostly a 'LAN Only Affair'.
I saw the article in other places, just wondering what the consequences of this might be for life-time members. Does this mean Jan 2020 Plex on a PC is no longer going to have access to the web Plex server, or is it just not going to get any of those new updates with all those new paid apps? I'm a bit confused as support for Apple & Roku are mentioned. Plex looks like it's evolving into a closed structure catering to big apps, but if it's cutting out local library media then they must be gambling that a universal box is around the corner and their software is positioned to take sway.

Just one more reason Kodi stands tall.
Just means say goodbye to using desktop iron for driving HDTV's in a home theater setup. That domain (for plex) falls to set-top boxes like AppleTV4K, Roku and such.
It's a little strange to create dedicated desktop apps, seems like replicating the existing web UI that works fine.
(2019-08-17, 21:12)PatK Wrote: I saw the article in other places, just wondering what the consequences of this might be for life-time members. Does this mean Jan 2020 Plex on a PC is no longer going to have access to the web Plex server, or is it just not going to get any of those new updates with all those new paid apps? I'm a bit confused as support for Apple & Roku are mentioned. Plex looks like it's evolving into a closed structure catering to big apps, but if it's cutting out local library media then they must be gambling that a universal box is around the corner and their software is positioned to take sway.

Just one more reason Kodi stands tall.

I've been wondering this myself, wondering if the 'Final' Windows build with HTPC support will continue on at least until the API changes enough.  I only started using Plex for HTPC this month even, after setting up a Lenovo at the breakroom at work, which runs Steam games and Plex.  Since this setup is at work, I'm not gonna do the VPN effort to link it to home and use Kodi, for obvious security reasons.
Plex announced a deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution Thursday, which will allow it to add a still-unspecified amount of the studio's movie catalogue to its app when it launches ad-supported video streaming later this year.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/pl...203317271/
(2019-08-29, 17:40)PatK Wrote: Plex announced a deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution Thursday, which will allow it to add a still-unspecified amount of the studio's movie catalogue to its app when it launches ad-supported video streaming later this year.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/pl...203317271/

It does say in that article that Plex would continue to support the HTCP but for a non specific time. I could care less since I rely on Kodi through my NAS but I still run a Plex server on my Unraid for times when I am out on the road. 
If the numbers on the article are close, Plex is hauling in a pretty good sum on their Plex Pass. I have never subscribed to it and don't need it.

Another thing I found interesting was the statement about piracy: 
 "The Verge to conclude that “Plex makes piracy just another streaming service.” Unsurprisingly, Plex executives rejected that notion. “We are iTunes, we are not Napster,” said Valory." 
I found this somewhat humorous since most plex servers have family, neighbors and friends all connected to the server. In fact with an business gdrive account and some google-phu, you can find unimited storage for around 12 dollars a month that you can have plex hook up to. I have read numerous accounts about some people doing this with excess of 500TB on the gdrive all serving the plex server for others to use. With the onset of fiber internet connections I can see this as a cause for concern.

For me if plex shuts down it's HTPC support I won't miss it. 

Long live KODI
Another free media software that looks like it may take Plex's place.  jellyfin

[PatK - URL link removed; don't think we need a direct link for it, smacks too much like spam]
That article also mentions XMBC, whatever that may be.
There are other supported DLNA / uPNP servers like Tversity and Mezzmo which have clients for Kodi, HTPCs, Samsung SmartTV, web clients, Roku, Android and more.  Some can support LiveTV integration and Internet Radio streaming and more, similar to Plex and better in some cases.
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Meh.  TBH I have never really seen the point in Plex.  I tried it once and couldn't really see what it did that my OS didn't already do.  Maybe I'm missing the point.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Ending HTPC Support0