Remote server ? Remote Database ?
Hi,
I use Kodi on 3 places and I have a centralized server with all my medias.
Currently, I use Emby but I would like to know if there is a way to use others tools.
Is it possible to share a remote server to multiple Kodi ? If yes, what is the way ?
And is it possible to create a remote Database and add it on multi Kodi ?
Thank you !
It's actually the normal way to do it - just store the media files on the server and then share them to the Kodi clients via NFS or SMB.

What you won't get though is the shared database between the Kodi installations, which is where Emby has the advantage. It is possible to set that up too though (via a MySQL (wiki) database), but it's a little more complex although still very possible to do.

No idea what a "BDD" is, so can't comment there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
a Bluray Disk Drive ?
I'm sorry but BDD is the french version of DB, so I would like to say Database.
Ah ok. Yes it is, the MySQL (wiki) database I mentioned before.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you, so it's possible to create a remote MySQL Database and connect all Kodi clients to it ? All Kodi clients must run the same version ? Is it possible to create multiple users ?
And how can I add medias to the database ? I add a source to a Kodi client connected to the database ?
Thank you.
Yes to the first two - all clients must be the same major version (Krypton, Leia, Matrix etc) to share the same database, although you could run multiple databases if you didn't, but they would only share across the same version (you could have two database sets, one for Leia and one for Matrix, which would work but they would be entirely independent).

For multiple users, it works the same way as on a simple single device (as the local databases work in the same way), so you could have the same user set across the devices (each with an individual profile) and have those sets replicated across devices. Each profile has it's own advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file, and those could point to individual MySQL (wiki) databases on the server for each of the users.

And for the sources, the simplest way is to use one device as a "master" with the sources set up on it and have that populate the database. Then the other devices can also access the same media via the links that would be stored in the database, presuming of course that the devices have network access to the sources themselves (no firewall blocks or suchlike).

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you very much, very interesting !
If it's only the same major version, it will not be a problem, all clients run Kodi Leia.
Just to be sure for multiple users, on the master Kodi, all medias will be added for all users and each user could set his view/not view flag ?
And what is best source format to use it over Internet ? HTTPS ? FTP ? Other ?
Thank you !
(2019-08-18, 03:19)NicCo Wrote: Just to be sure for multiple users, on the master Kodi, all medias will be added for all users and each user could set his view/not view flag ?
Kodi's database setup is a single-user environment. However, you can create multiple databases on the same MySQL server by using a unique <name> value in the mysql section of the advancedsettings.xml file on each Kodi client device. That way each Kodi client can have their own watched status and resume statuses. Each client will have to scrape their collection (which can be from the same video source).

(2019-08-18, 03:19)NicCo Wrote: And what is best source format to use it over Internet ? HTTPS ? FTP ? Other ?
Which ever works best for you. Just be aware that opening ports on your router could trigger the interests of less-friendly people out there, wanting to lurk (and possibly do more) on your network and attached computers.
Thank you !
Ok for the database, I'll look to create a remote and secured MySQL database.
And you're right for the less-friendly people, I'll look to find a way to get the more secure way. I would like also to have a private source, I don't want all Internet to see my collections. Perhaps an HTTPS web server with a password, I don't know if Kodi supports it.
I think it does (look into webdav, which is more what you want than straight http(s) ). But it's this kind of security and set-up complexity that spawned stuff like Emby in the first place.

Kodi Blog Posts
I'll try to setup a WebDAV server and a MySQL database but if it's too complicated I'll stay with Emby.
Thank you for all informations !
I'm looking at WebDAV/HTTPS/MySQL and I have a question : do you think a SSL certificate auto signed is OK for Kodi ? Or is a Let's Encrypt certificate needed ? Because if I use a Let's Encrypt certificate, I must generate and copy key file on each client every 90 days...
Thank you.
You can use a self signed certificate but you will need to add it to Kodi ideally

This thread may be of interest regarding this
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331918

If you control/manage all the devices you can set up your own PKI and issue your own certificates if you dont what to use Lets encrypt

Most people just use SMB/NFS for sharing!
Thank you, I'll look at the link.
I manage all Kodi clients (about 6 clients for my family) but I would like to install the certificate one time per client because it's complicated to access all clients every 90 days.
And you're right, SMB or NFS is the simplest way but I want to access collections over Internet so I can't use both.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote server ? Remote Database ?0