Managing actor images?
I'm just curious if anyone has a way of managing some of the quirks around actor images.  I'm still using TVDB as a scraper for TV shows, and (as people probably know) if you scrape a show, it replaces the images for that show's actors with show-specific images.  That's sometimes tolerable but weird: Jean-Luc Picard appearing in his Star Trek costume when looking at the cast list for an X-Men movie.  And sometimes it's just bizarre: Brendan Fraser appearing as Robotman from Doom Patrol everywhere.  You can "fix" it by refreshing a movie with the actor, but then you lose certain data like your tags and watched status (and possibly your desired poster and fanart) and you have to reinput all of that.

I'm not necessarily looking for a technical solution; just curious if others have a way of dealing with this or if it only bothers me.

(A related issue is that i'd prefer if the images that came from movies were more of the actor in their prime instead of their most recent image, but that's not just a TVDB vs TMDB thing.)
Maintaining a few add-ons for v18 including PseudoTV (Classic), Tag Overview, and Autosub: https://github.com/fnord12
Would be nice if we could really manage actor images and add our own local images instead of links to someone else's.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-08-20, 18:49)fnord12 Wrote: I'm just curious if anyone has a way of managing some of the quirks around actor images.  I'm still using TVDB as a scraper for TV shows, and (as people probably know) if you scrape a show, it replaces the images for that show's actors with show-specific images.  That's sometimes tolerable but weird: Jean-Luc Picard appearing in his Star Trek costume when looking at the cast list for an X-Men movie.  And sometimes it's just bizarre: Brendan Fraser appearing as Robotman from Doom Patrol everywhere.  You can "fix" it by refreshing a movie with the actor, but then you lose certain data like your tags and watched status (and possibly your desired poster and fanart) and you have to reinput all of that.

I'm not necessarily looking for a technical solution; just curious if others have a way of dealing with this or if it only bothers me.

(A related issue is that i'd prefer if the images that came from movies were more of the actor in their prime instead of their most recent image, but that's not just a TVDB vs TMDB thing.)
This is one of the reasons I use Ember Media Manager for all my Movies and TV shows which is stored in each folder so I can control what I see
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
(2019-08-20, 18:49)fnord12 Wrote: I'm just curious if anyone has a way of managing some of the quirks around actor images.  I'm still using TVDB as a scraper for TV shows, and (as people probably know) if you scrape a show, it replaces the images for that show's actors with show-specific images.  That's sometimes tolerable but weird: Jean-Luc Picard appearing in his Star Trek costume when looking at the cast list for an X-Men movie.  And sometimes it's just bizarre: Brendan Fraser appearing as Robotman from Doom Patrol everywhere.  You can "fix" it by refreshing a movie with the actor, but then you lose certain data like your tags and watched status (and possibly your desired poster and fanart) and you have to reinput all of that.

This topic is discussed here for several years on several times, why not just just search function instead open a new thread? -> 153297 (thread)
Quote:You can "fix" it
I do it that way, only 2 clicks, 1 for refresh and 1 for rescan artwork types with artwork beef.
Quote:but then you lose certain data like your tags and watched status (and possibly your desired poster and fanart) and you have to reinput all of that.
These worries you would not have more if you would use .nfo's with a media manager.
Quote:I'm not necessarily looking for a technical solution; just curious if others have a way of dealing with this or if it only bothers me.
Since a very long time there exist a very old, but advanced solution from Media Companion (.nfo Media Manager) for your problem.
You can setup there an central actors folder and every .nfo is linking to it. I've never tested.
-> Media Companion

But currently no chance with Kodi internal stuff, maybe in future Kodi 21 Odin or Kodi 22 Pikachu.
Thanks to everyone who replied.  Looks like i should look at other media managers.  I currently use TMM, but only in a limited way (and it's great for what i use it for).
Maintaining a few add-ons for v18 including PseudoTV (Classic), Tag Overview, and Autosub: https://github.com/fnord12

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing actor images?0