• 4(current)
MediaStream, coming soon...
Skin teaser looks great and I love Doctor Who, to bad last episode of this season was last week.

No matter what everyone says about the 'hype', it's not like your buying yourself a new car or a cinema ticket, it's free for own usage, open source, if you don't like it, there plenty of other skins that will satisfy your hunger, but sounds like Fluid (if that's still is going to be the name) is made for the community, by the community, to advance the skin experience.

So I'm really looking forward to the result of this skin.
O_O This is great!

I was worried that since The Devil's concepts were not being followed, the skin would not come out well, but clearly the Project Fluid team really "gets it" when it comes to design. In my opinion, this is the only skin that can compete with Aeon. I can't wait to see some more screenshots.

Too bad about no 4:3 in the initial release, but I guess you can't have everything. Tongue
chrislee149 Wrote:O_O This is great!

I was worried that since The Devil's concepts were not being followed, the skin would not come out well, but clearly the Project Fluid team really "gets it" when it comes to design. In my opinion, this is the only skin that can compete with Aeon. I can't wait to see some more screenshots.

Too bad about no 4:3 in the initial release, but I guess you can't have everything. Tongue

Quite a few skins competing for top spot right now and in the immediate future... so we'll see who comes out Top!!!
chrislee149 Wrote:O_O This is great!

Only skin that can compete with Aeon? lol how do you know? so far I've seen one half of one screenshot.
Competes2win Wrote:Only skin that can compete with Aeon? lol how do you know? so far I've seen one half of one screenshot.

Two reasons:
1. The screenshot looks pretty damn impressive and shows attention to detail.
2. The skin has very talented people working on it.

No need to get snarky anyway. Skin preference, like many other things, is subject to a person's opinion. If he feels it can compete with Aeon, that's his opinion. If your opinion is different, that's fine too.
I've yet to see a skin that can match the user experience I get with Basics-101 to be honest, that skin is just very cool. Works great with mouse or a remote (try Aeon with a mouse), has a nice contrast so you can read everything on almost any screen regardless of real resolution and just works. Irrelevant in this thread here of course, just wanted to chime in that looks aren't anything and I really am looking forward to the usability aspect of this skin here.
can I just chip in here and mention a couple of things

1) Design
We're releasing this skin, knowing full well that not everyone is going to like this skin...and thats ok. We're not vying to get prizes for most intuitive design, most amazing-looking skin, or even the most desired skin on the XBMC platform. It's a skin that has a design which the team feel is true to what we wanted to get out of the project when it was started.

2) Competitiveness
Can I just stop ANY flaming or comments right now about trying to compete for top spot. We're not! period! This is a skin designed by the community for the community. Again, it's a skin that some people will like...others wont. We're not trying to poach users from others skins. To try anything similar to this would just be plain dumb. If you like Aeon, then carry on using Aeon, if you like Basics (and let's face it...who doesn't!) then carry on using Basics. If you try this skin and like it, then great...we achieved something...if not, then we created a skin for the xbmc project that no-one uses...it's an achievement in itself and we're happy!

3) Functionality
We like it! Plain and simple! We like the functionality that this skin has, and have tried to make it as functional as we can. If you dont like it cause it's not like Aeon or Basics...then kinda, well, tough. Use what is comfortable for you.

4) End result
If you like the skin when you see it...then great, we'll be pleased that you did. If you like using it and you're dropping other skins to use it whilst the novelty factor is still there, then we'll lift up a beer in your name and maybe do a small dance in your honour. if you dont like it, then hey....now you'll have something to blog about and complain how the world is not right for some reason.

In essence, I guess I'm saying that we made the skin for YOU! if you like it then great, if you dont like it then dont go flaming about how this dont work like Aeon or that dont work like Basics

it's all good!
What he said.

The skinning engine covers more than enough ground for every skin to have its own turf, so where's the competition? I'm willing to bet the XBMC userbase is pretty evenly split between the major players, so distinct are the plusses and minuses of each one. The scene's all the better for it, too.
hotzenpl0tz Wrote:I've yet to see a skin that can match the user experience I get with Basics-101 to be honest, that skin is just very cool. Works great with mouse or a remote (try Aeon with a mouse), has a nice contrast so you can read everything on almost any screen regardless of real resolution and just works. Irrelevant in this thread here of course, just wanted to chime in that looks aren't anything and I really am looking forward to the usability aspect of this skin here.

Yes this is how I feel also. There are all these flashy skins which looks so good but when I use it for awhile I always find something wrong with them from a usuability stand point. Thats why I always end up back with Basics-101. It doesn't look great graphically but its so streamlined for my needs. If Fluid can strike a balance between looks an usability without it being too complex it has a good chance of being my default skin.
No pocky pocky MikeBeecham... that post was so so needed... that's what grabs me about this the prospect of this release... user input was cut to a minimum, so you guys could concentrate on making the skin exactly the way it should be... it's not always nice having people telling you this and that, almost forcing you to constantly change you base idea about what you wanted from the skin... as for the top spot on my list... it's always got to be windows vista (coz i have to use it everyday at work, LOL!)...

nyways... coming soon will soon be arrived... so we're preparing for ur project...
Clarification:
In the context of my previous post, "compete with" meant "equal in quality". >_>
Martomo Wrote:...I love Doctor Who, to bad last episode of this season was last week.

Not to threadjack, but does Doctor Who get a bit more watchable in later seasons? I started watching Season 1 to see what all the hub-bub is about, and it's SO low budget that its hard to get into...

...Simon Pegg as the Editor was good though!
Wow, havent been online for a while, and what do I see?

"Coming soon" - Mikebeecham

"Hmm, this should be interesting" I ponder to myself...

Not only do I get a 'sneaky peaky' at the latest creation, but I get a laugh too! Im so bummed I missed it all...

Seriously though guys, this looks fantastic, consider me an unofficial XBox 4:3 tester!

cant wait, havent seen anything really "pow" I can use properly since Containment
NickyZero - Currently making LCARS for XBMC
All info can be found here and here

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
can we get one or two more screenies building up to the release? pweeeeas? Laugh

august isn't far away Nod can't wait to see this in action..!
zeuss-axis Wrote:Not to threadjack, but does Doctor Who get a bit more watchable in later seasons? I started watching Season 1 to see what all the hub-bub is about, and it's SO low budget that its hard to get into...

...Simon Pegg as the Editor was good though!

It's one for the kids, I think. Beyond Mssrs Tennant and Ecclestone, the whole thing feels like a vacuum of charisma to me. Much like anything hi-concept us Brits try to do.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaStream, coming soon...7