Can we fork TV Tunes
@rschiks

Correct...the new version will have all the code removed that allowed theme downloading. I also need to look at a problem on the Video Info page. I'm getting an error with the current version I'm using.
(2019-08-28, 22:01)latts9923 Wrote:  I also need to look at a problem on the Video Info page. I'm getting an error with the current version I'm using.
If you are talking about the TvTunes-Button on the DialogVideoInfo.xml page: You get an error message, because the only task of this button was to open the download section of the addon, which doesn't exist any longer. Therefore I removed this button in my skin mod. You could change its function to call the settings of tvtunes, but that wouldn' t make a lot of sense in the DialogVideoInfo.xml... 

In case you would like to take over the other addons I forked from Rob, please take into account that I did some modifications for which no pull request exist as Rob did not respond to my first pull requests. 
PinSentry and VideoScreensaver should run without problems with 18.3. VideoExtras just works with the Titan skin (fine for me), I didn't manage to get it working with Estuary. Don't know what's wrong with it....
@malvinas2

I removed the button from my skin mod as well some time back. I need to take another look at the error when I get back to my modding PC.

I think for now I'm just going to work on TVTunes and TVTunes Screensaver. Thanks for the offer though!
(2019-08-28, 22:01)latts9923 Wrote: @rschiks

Correct...the new version will have all the code removed that allowed theme downloading. I also need to look at a problem on the Video Info page. I'm getting an error with the current version I'm using.

But it still does play the tune, except the source is on the internet?
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
(2019-08-29, 06:56)rschiks Wrote: But it still does play the tune, except the source is on the internet?
It will play local files only.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-08-29, 08:23)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-08-29, 06:56)rschiks Wrote: But it still does play the tune, except the source is on the internet?

So a duplicate of TV Melodies?
(2019-08-29, 08:23)Karellen Wrote:
Would it be against the rules to play tunes from a remote (as in internet) location?
(2019-08-29, 11:15)rschiks Wrote: Would it be against the rules to play tunes from a remote (as in internet) location?
What should be the sense of this? Any practical application example?
(2019-08-29, 11:43)malvinas2 Wrote:
(2019-08-29, 11:15)rschiks Wrote: Would it be against the rules to play tunes from a remote (as in internet) location?
What should be the sense of this? Any practical application example?
The add-on could connect to a webservice, which returns an url to the theme. Play the theme with the url as the location.

Same as referring to images on the internet and showing it on screen.
Well, actually I asked for a practical example, not for a theoretical fantasy....
The implementation of your idea would be difficult to realize and, much more important, it is not desirable to exhaust internet resources downloading mp3s with a file size of still 2-3 MB again and again.
The images you see in Kodi may be downloaded from websites like fanart.tv etc., but ideally just one time. Then they are stored on your local storage for re-use.
And finally this would end up in another discussion about legality of the add-on.
(2019-08-29, 15:26)malvinas2 Wrote: Well, actually I asked for a practical example, not for a theoretical fantasy....
The implementation of your idea would be difficult to realize and, much more important, it is not desirable to exhaust internet resources downloading mp3s with a file size of still 2-3 MB again and again.
The images you see in Kodi may be downloaded from websites like fanart.tv etc., but ideally just one time. Then they are stored on your local storage for re-use.
And finally this would end up in another discussion about legality of the add-on.
It's not that difficult to implement. It's a few minutes to have an api call which returns an url with a mp3. I can do that, no problem. And my guess it's some minutes to code in python a call to a web service, process the json output, get the location.

I agree with downloading again and again, but my question still remains: is this against the rules?
(2019-08-29, 22:56)rschiks Wrote: It's not that difficult to implement.

Not the code itself. But what and where are you exactly looking for? For example, the name of your tv series is something like "Pangram: The quick brown fox" and stored in this way on your local database. Does your api call contain exactly this expression or maybe the eligible server expects something like "Pangram_The_quick_brown_fox" or perhaps "Pangram-The-quick-brown-fox" or whatever? Maybe you even ask several servers and each one requests a slightly different expression, how many requests do you want to send? How do you ensure that the proper theme is selected, e.g. the theme of "Voyager" is completely different from the one of "Next generation", but both of them would respond to a search term like "Star Trek".
Furthermore, the query may take 2-3 seconds, but after that you still have to wait for the successfull download of the theme. Even with a good internet connection of several dozen mbits/s this is going to take a few seconds. So you select your tv serie in question and you have to wait approx. 10 seconds until the theme starts to play? That's not what I would call a practical example, but in the end you have to convince latts9923, not me ;-)
The key point is whether there is a legal (copyright) restriction or permission to store and distribute the media.

Our general stand-point is that the user supplies the media, so by having things on their own server/device they will have actively had to obtain it. If they obtain it legally or not is entirely their issue, and any consequences arising from their having the media is down to them (in the same way we treat all types of media that Kodi plays).

By having the media coming from some server on the internet, that no longer applies and so we would be back towards the same situation that the original add-on had (aside from the other issues already mentioned in this thread).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-08-30, 09:33)malvinas2 Wrote:
(2019-08-29, 22:56)rschiks Wrote: It's not that difficult to implement.

Not the code itself. But what and where are you exactly looking for? For example, the name of your tv series is something like "Pangram: The quick brown fox" and stored in this way on your local database. Does your api call contain exactly this expression or maybe the eligible server expects something like "Pangram_The_quick_brown_fox" or perhaps "Pangram-The-quick-brown-fox" or whatever? Maybe you even ask several servers and each one requests a slightly different expression, how many requests do you want to send? How do you ensure that the proper theme is selected, e.g. the theme of "Voyager" is completely different from the one of "Next generation", but both of them would respond to a search term like "Star Trek".
Furthermore, the query may take 2-3 seconds, but after that you still have to wait for the successfull download of the theme. Even with a good internet connection of several dozen mbits/s this is going to take a few seconds. So you select your tv serie in question and you have to wait approx. 10 seconds until the theme starts to play? That's not what I would call a practical example, but in the end you have to convince latts9923, not me ;-)

The Kodi database stores the tvdbid, tmdbid or imdbid. No need for searching on names.
You can do it with one request.
And queries don’t take seconds.
(2019-08-30, 09:43)DarrenHill Wrote: The key point is whether there is a legal (copyright) restriction or permission to store and distribute the media.

Our general stand-point is that the user supplies the media, so by having things on their own server/device they will have actively had to obtain it. If they obtain it legally or not is entirely their issue, and any consequences arising from their having the media is down to them (in the same way we treat all types of media that Kodi plays).

By having the media coming from some server on the internet, that no longer applies and so we would be back towards the same situation that the original add-on had (aside from the other issues already mentioned in this thread).
Ok. I know copyright discussions are always tricky here.

So in short the add-on will only read a locally stored file, supplied by the user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can we fork TV Tunes0