AC3 re-enc passthrough for any speaker configuration
I would like the AC3 re-encoding feature to be allowed for all speaker configurations, so I could live re-encode my stereo mp3's and FLAC files into upmixed multichannel 7.1 AC3 passthrough.
Theres a difference in the sound with AC3 hardware decoding so depending on peoples settings and equipment it can sound pretty good and would be nice to have the option.
Rather than getting a stereo AC3 file then having your receivers hardware use its dolbysurround modes to then upmix it to the other channels which can leave the rear surround channels sounding too dull/fuzzy or quiet its best to get it upmixed channel expansion of the stereo to 7.1 first and re-encoded to AC3 and have a proper multichannel source passed through to the hardware decoder for a richer fuller sounding sound listening experience.
it may sound subtly less good than pure LPCM output after recompression but the difference is minimal and depending on how its configured and resampled it some may prefer it.
If you question the benefits of 7.1 AC3 passthrough try out some other free mediaplayers that support it and experiment with it first. If your dolby hardware decoding doesn't sound too great maybe its your settings I previously typed my configuration out in a thread about this issue
here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=346744

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 re-enc passthrough for any speaker configuration0