XBMC keeps SegFaulting
Backtrace
xbmc.log
I don't know what caused it, just recently it just started seg faulting, first almost randomly, and now it will segfault after only a few seconds of running. Sad
I really hope someone can help me out, I love XBMC.
Thanks.
Try removing the CD/DVD from your drive and see if that helps at all.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
If what tslayer said doesn't fix it, try disabling background library scanning if it's enabled.
There is no CD/DVD in the drive...Should I try just disconnecting the drive itself? I have noticed it being a bit iffy, the BIOS would detect it sometimes, and ignore it completely the next boot.
Okay I disconnected the DVD/CD drive, and it still segfaults.
Did you try disabling the background scanner?
althekiller Wrote:Did you try disabling the background scanner?
How would I go about doing that?
It's in the settings for both video and music. I'd disable update at startup too.
Well I can't even get XBMC to run long enough to get into the settings. Is there a way to disable it in advancedsettings.xml or some other xml file?
Maybe in userdata/guisettings.xml. You might be best just wiping it.
I already did
Quote:rm -rf ~/.xbmc
along with
Quote:rm -rf ~/src/xbmc
and that command deleted my entire XBMC build directory. I disabled the entire video and music library in advancedsettings.xml. I'm checking my filesystem now, as Ubuntu is now throwing up misc fs-related errors, so this might actually just be my hard drive dying. Sad
Okay little update (can we not edit our own posts in the forum?), I separated my DVD drive and IDE HD onto separate IDE channels, and all is looking good, so maybe it's just a bug somewhere...Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it!
Lol....... that was not a very good idea to put them on the same channel. That's the easiest way to destroy an IDE HDD. It's not a bug of any sort. It messes up data flow. As it's going through one channel, it needs to be at a constant speed. this either being the min or max taking in to account both drives. With two Hard drives, this generally isn't a big deal. with two Optical drives... well the speeds vary wildly, but generally it's fine.

An HDD and an Optical? Bad things.
Not true. IDE will only run at the speed of the slowest device on the channel.
Just to finalize, I think that hard drive is going bad. I installed Linux Mint, to try out, onto my SATA hd, and thus far its working fine. When the IDE hd was still plugged in though I'd hear the sound of the hard drive spinning up, or whatever the sound an hd makes when it gets knocked...I unplug the hd and bam, sound gone and no lock-ups at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC keeps SegFaulting0