Leave My Movie Artwork Alone!
If I move an existing scraped title with custom selected artwork to a different source, Kodi sees this as a new addition to my collection even though it already previously existed.  I understand why and it's normal.  However, once this 'new' title is re-added, my existing artwork is overwritten without fail - I assume by TMDB.  When I go to the TMDB add-on there is a config for it although nothing for 'if artwork already exists, do not overwrite and replace' what took someone countless hours to customize.

Kodi v19, not that it matters since this has been a problem for me through many versions.
Kodi Media setting to Update Library on Startup is enabled because I want new additions to scrape in otherwise it will never show up.
Artwork Beef enabled or disabled doesn't matter.  I usually have it enabled with Add Artwork for New Videos After Library Updates to automate the whole process.
TMDB is selected scraper during source setup.  If I select nfo, then existing stuff should be fine but then new stuff never gets added because I create nfo's through Kodi after being scraped in.  I would use nfo only and let Artwork Beef handle the entire load except it's only for artwork and nothing for synopsis and other metadata unless I'm mistaken.
Add-on Local Information Only is installed and there is no config for it.
All titles are in their own folder along with artwork and nfo's.

I'm about to re-scrape in my entire collection since I've moved all the sources as well as a complete fresh install of Kodi.  I've been through this before - having to completely start over with all my artwork.  I don't want to start over.  I want what I have to remain, be applied, and not get overwritten with substitutes I didn't request.  I've got to be doing something very wrong?

Hoping for suggestions.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hello @brazen1

(2019-09-02, 20:49)brazen1 Wrote: However, once this 'new' title is re-added, my existing artwork is overwritten without fail - I assume by TMDB.
Are you using local artwork or is the scraper providing the artwork in your library?

If you are using local artwork, then Kodi should be using the local artwork and not replacing it with scraped artwork. Local always overrides scraped.

Can you provide a screenshot of your folder for one of the affected movies that shows the artwork and movie file. I'll check that first and if nothing useful is revealed I'll ask for a Debug Log which captures you scraping one of these movies.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
By "overwritten" do you mean that in Kodi scraped artwork is being displayed or do you mean your local artwork files are being overwritten?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
All my artwork is local inside the title folder next to the movie file.  It's not on a NAS or anything else streamed.  It's all local using internal HDD's, nothing external.  When a new title scans in, the artwork downloads to the title folder.  First by TMDB which provides the poster and metadata results like synopsis.  Secondly, by Artwork Beef which provides xtra artwork like keyart and extrafanart.  When it's done, I export my library from time to time using the Kodi function so that an NFO is created for that and any other new titles which is deposited alongside everything else in the title folder.

I have:
.actors
extrafanart folder containing images
extrathumbs folder containing images
banner
clearart
disc
keyart 
landscape
logo
poster
animatedposter

jpg's, gif's and png's.

Along with a movie.iso and a movie.nfo.
Some folders have .srt's and other files I use.

All the artwork downloaded from scraping automatically.  Some of it I had to manually add such as and mostly only animatedposter.gif's.  Usually TMDB gets the poster I prefer correctly.  When it doesn't, I use the customize artwork tab from the context menu which gives me multiple choices.  I select one and it replaces what once was originally.  This too downloads directly to the title folder.  The new selection is there, and the old one is gone.  Furthermore, if I chance upon something like an animatedposter.gif, I download and save it to the title folder.  Since it's an animatedposter.gif, it isn't replacing anything such as the poster.jpg so both are retained.  Then I go into Kodi and point it to the new art.  Kodi accepts and uses any replacement I tell it to perfectly.  Perfect no problems.

That is until you move a movie folder from one source to another.  Kodi starts the whole process over from scratch and puts back the very things I edited out and discards mine.  Mostly poster.jpg's.  Once they have been overwritten, my custom one is often no longer available from the scrape I originally obtained from.  Then I'm left with whatever default artwork overwrote my custom ones and I'm SOL.  Thankfully it does not delete specialties like animatedposter.gif's but it does remove them from being in use and replaced with a poster.jpg instead.  So, I have to go back into the title artwork via Kodi and redirect it back to the animatedposter.jpg I was originally using.

This may not sound like such a big deal but believe me... times this by a large amount of titles and you've got hours on your hands.  Lots of hours.  Somehow I thought all this should lock in via Kodi and it's cache coupled with nfo's and complex software such as Artwork Beef.  Sadly, for me, nothing is locked in.  Adding my 'new' 'old' source and pressing that final button to scan in the titles is always disappointing.  As the scan reveals the titles scanning in, one at a time, I've actually anticipated the next title that's going to scan in, opened the folder, and watched as the files were overwritten.  One second it's there, the next it's gone and been replaced.  "I mean" the local files are overwritten.  poster.jpg for example is still named poster.jpg.  It's a different poster though.  The original is gone.  It got written over...

Fwiw, I've tried the whole turning off the internet thing prior to opening Kodi.  That's all fine and dandy.  Nothing gets downloaded and nothing gets overwritten.  Nothing gets scanned in either so even though the source exists and Kodi has been directed to it, none of the titles are recognized because they haven't scanned in yet and in order to scan them in, we have to be connected to the internet.  To me, this doesn't make much sense.  If there's an nfo containing all the metadata and it's right there plain as day, it's ignored.  I don't know what good it is?  

The only thing I can think of doing before I re-import my entire collection and it's painstaking artwork customization is to 'import' the library using Kodi.  I've never done it and I'm afraid I'll really screw something up tbh.  Anyone know what that feature is for and any side affects if any?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-09-03, 01:48)brazen1 Wrote: I have:
.actors
extrafanart folder containing images
extrathumbs folder containing images
banner
clearart
disc
keyart 
landscape
logo
poster
animatedposter
So you have opted to use the short/basic artwork names. No problems with that but basic names are only scanned when the setting Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title is Enabled. I think this might be the problem.

My spiel...
The default naming of movie artwork, in all cases, is the long format of <videofilename>-<artworktype>.ext eg... Blade Runner (1984)-poster.jpg
The default naming of movie NFO Files, in all cases, is <videofilename>.nfo eg... Blade Runner (1984).nfo

Short movie artwork names (eg... poster, fanart, etc), and the use of movie.nfo can be used and are scanned only when the following conditions are met...
  1. Movie Folders (wiki) are used
  2. Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title must be Enabled in the Set Content Screen. (wiki)
  3. No corresponding artwork with long format names are present in that movie folder, as these take priority.
  4. movie.nfo has priority but still uses the standard NFO (wiki) naming of <videofilename>.nfo as a fallback.

(2019-09-03, 01:48)brazen1 Wrote: I use the customize artwork tab from the context menu which gives me multiple choices.  I select one and it replaces what once was originally.  This too downloads directly to the title folder
Kodi and the Kodi scrapers never download artwork to local folders. There is no code for that. It only caches the image. I think your problem (in combination with the previous mentioned setting) is Artwork Beef.

(2019-09-03, 01:48)brazen1 Wrote: Furthermore, if I chance upon something like an animatedposter.gif, I download and save it to the title folder.  Since it's an animatedposter.gif, it isn't replacing anything such as the poster.jpg so both are retained
Artwork Beef. Kodi scrapers do not scrape animated artwork.

(2019-09-03, 01:48)brazen1 Wrote: That is until you move a movie folder from one source to another. Kodi starts the whole process over from scratch and puts back the very things I edited out and discards mine
Not Kodi. Disable Artwork Beef and you will find that nothing is overwritten.

(2019-09-03, 01:48)brazen1 Wrote: The only thing I can think of doing before I re-import my entire collection and it's painstaking artwork customization is to 'import' the library using Kodi.  I've never done it and I'm afraid I'll really screw something up tbh.  Anyone know what that feature is for and any side affects if any?
If you have exported to NFO Files, then Kodi can scan those nfo files back in. If you are referring to the Single File Export and subsequent Import, it won't work in your case as you are shifting files around.

I am assuming here that your initial problem was due to that wrong setting. This is what I would do...
  1. Disable Artwork Beef
  2. Add advancedsettings.xml code as shown here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork Also do the same for TV Shows, Movie Sets, Music Videos, Music if needed.
  3. Ensure that setting mentioned above is Enabled
  4. Scan using Kodi
  5. The only thing you really need Artwork Beef for now is Movie Sets, but I believe Movie Set scanning was broken a couple of updates ago as it no longer works for me.
My Signature
FYI
This is what my advancedsettings.xml file contains... https://paste.kodi.tv/iqajelisaw
My Signature
Yes, my movies are all in separate folders that match the movie title and I always select that setting.
Yes, my artwork is all short format and I do meet all 1,2,3 and 4 requirements.

Hmmm?  I don't understand something.  You say Kodi scrapers (TMDB) does not d/l nor add/replace any artwork in the folders.  Consider my observation I pointed out earlier about watching my artwork replace as TMDB scanned my titles in.  TMDB scrapes first.  I know because I have the option in my skin to watch what is happening in real time.  It says 'Scanning for new content' 'Scanning Movies using The Movie Database'.  I double checked by monitoring a movie folder as it was scanned in and checked my basic artwork was overwritten.  This while TMDB was still busy scanning in other titles.  A/B hasn't even launched yet.  After TMDB is done checking and/or scanning in new titles, my option going across the top of the screen in real time showing me what is occurring shows A/B launching AFTER all the titles scan in.  Furthermore, if I go into the library prior to anything launching, my titles are there, but no artwork.  As TMDB scans, I can back out of the library and reenter it watching in real time posters starting to populate.  Not my posters, but posters nonetheless.  Keep in mind, A/B hasn't even launched yet.  The settings in it even say 'Add artwork for new videos AFTER library updates'.

Kodi scrapers used to scrape animated artwork and deposit them into it's own folder within the thumbnails folder and it worked fine.  It offered animated posters and fanarts.  It still does.  It just doesn't do anything.  That's why the scraping button for animated artwork was added to the context menu years ago at the bottom.  It hasn't worked for a very long time.  Since the userdata folders underwent significant changes some years back.  So now I acquire them from google and at times the animated poster thread here.  I've tried the kyradb thing with api codes entered and all... I can't get it to do anything and the Silvo skin I use might be why.  But that's another story.

I don't have answers why, considering your explanation that with A/B off, nothing is going to d/l.  I have A/B off.  I set it off before assigning my source and/or adding a new title.  After TMDB scans in, I have posters named poster.jpg.  This in a title that has never been added before.  A/B is off.  By that I mean DISABLED.  How else could artwork be created?  I have no other related add-ons enabled.

I took a look at your link.  Even it says "Basic artwork requires no special setup as it has always been natively scanned and scraped by Kodi ".  I guess I could try the advancedsettings.xml approach but it just doesn't seem right for my situation.  The Universal Movie Scraper is used.  When I first was experimenting with Kodi, I noticed this scraper gathered horrible artwork.  The posters all had the adverts in them.  I prefer cleaner posters tbh.  Maybe that's changed since the last fiasco.  

So even though I have nfo's with a ton of metadata data in them, they are worthless the moment I move a title to a different source?  wow.  Just wow.

You are correct about A/B not needed I think.  Just disabled it.  Went into title info window to edit artwork.  I was assuming nothing would show up because A/B is disabled.  But selections DID show up.  No idea where they're going to scrape from?  Must be some built in Kodi function like the wiki says for basic artwork.

Anyway, I just want to preserve my existing stuff and use it.  I don't know what those advancedsettings are going to do to my existing stuff and I'm apprehensive already.  Maybe use parts of your .xml added to what I already have coupled with the wiki example.  Thanks for the input though.

(2019-09-03, 03:44)brazen1 Wrote: So even though I have nfo's with a ton of metadata data in them, they are worthless the moment I move a title to a different source?  wow.  Just wow.
Nope, I did not say that. I said the Single File Export is worthless if you move files around. I only raised that because you mentioned the Import option which only works with Single File Export. NFO Files move with the movie, so it does not matter if the movie folder is moved. NFO files and Single File Export are not the same thing.

(2019-09-03, 03:44)brazen1 Wrote: Hmmm?  I don't understand something.  You say Kodi scrapers (TMDB) does not d/l nor add/replace any artwork in the folders.  Consider my observation
Kodi scrapers do not download local artwork. Not at all. There is no code for that. It is not Kodi. Sorry but the observation is not enough in this case if you are simply relying on notification banners popping up. Updates may be happening too quickly for banners to be popping up. Check the Debug log and check the debug log for Artwork Beef and I think you will find your answers there.

(2019-09-03, 03:44)brazen1 Wrote: You are correct about A/B not needed I think.  Just disabled it.  Went into title info window to edit artwork.  I was assuming nothing would show up because A/B is disabled.  But selections DID show up.  No idea where they're going to scrape from?  Must be some built in Kodi function like the wiki says for basic artwork.
They are coming from the scrape. If you use Kodi scrapers, you will see all the artwork links in the nfo file. It is those links that populate the Choose Art "Remote" selection. If you use media managers, they tend to strip out all the links and you are left with nothing, which is why sometimes you go to Choose Art and nothing is available.

Run your test again, then provide the Artwork Beef log and the Kodi Debug Log and I will try to point out exactly what, where and when it is happening.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Leave My Movie Artwork Alone!0