Connection failed...No response from MythTV backend...Do you want to retry?
(2019-09-09, 23:37)black_eagle Wrote: Well, apt-cache policy mythtv on my machine gives this

xml:
mythtv:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3
Version table:
2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse i386 Packages

So the latest version in the Ubuntu repos for 18.04 is 29.1  so 19.2 would seem a little old ?!?  Are you sure you have the right version number as the current version release for MythTV is 30.0

Anyway, if you want the latest stable release you will probably have to add their PPA and then install from that.

In a terminal do this - sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/30
Press <ENTER> to continue adding it when it asks you to.

If there is a lot of text that scrolls up where the lines start with 'hit' and 'get' and have http addresses in them then you can skip the next bit.  If you don't see the lines starting with hit and get, type into your terminal sudo apt-get update (18.04 and above update automatically when you add a ppa, 16.04 doesn't).
Then type in apt-cache policy mythtv and check that the version number is 30. 

xml:
apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:30.0+fixes.201908121424.5cde057~ubuntu18.04.1
  Version table:
     2:30.0+fixes.201908121424.5cde057~ubuntu18.04.1 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/30/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/30/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     2:30.0~master.20181118.26d8d51-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3 500
     2:30.0~master.20180426.ba4c52b-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 500
     2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse i386 Packages

As you can see, the candidate version is now 30.0  .  After checking that that is the case, install it with sudo apt-get install mythtv  If you install V30, then the settings are the same as the V29 ones I posted earlier.  If you want to install a different version (28 or 29) then change the number after mythbuntu/ in the add-apt-repository line above.  Version 29 is /0.29  Version 28 is /0.28 

Installing via software manager or command line makes no difference.  They will both get the same package and install it in the same way, just one has a fancy GUI and the other doesn't.  They both get software from the same sources list on your PC so if you add a source (ppa) then if the software in it is a newer version, both methods will get that version in preference to an older one.  I prefer command line because it's easier to confirm what you are about to do before you do it.  The GUI hides all that from you.
I was thinking about Kodi....remember I am linux retarded...IWILL learn this and help others one of these days...THANKS again!!!  SO do you see an advantage of doing a Kodi frontend with a MythTV backend or would it be better to use MythTV for both the front and backend?
(2019-09-09, 15:20)disaacso Wrote: did you ever run mythtv-setup to configure the backend?
https://paste.kodi.tv/ipatuzacup

The above is what happened...I can tell there is a long road ahead of me.
(2019-09-10, 02:00)mrgta67 Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 15:20)disaacso Wrote: did you ever run mythtv-setup to configure the backend?
https://paste.kodi.tv/ipatuzacup

The above is what happened...I can tell there is a long road ahead of me.  

you have to call it using sudo  so just run "sudo mythtv-setup" from a terminal window.
This is an old video using ubuntu 16.04 and an older version of mythv but it should answer many questions.  There will be some differences, the ppa address have probably updated along the way but it should help you out
(2019-09-10, 02:57)disaacso Wrote: This is an old video using ubuntu 16.04 and an older version of mythv but it should answer many questions.  There will be some differences, the ppa address have probably updated along the way but it should help you out
(2019-09-09, 23:48)mrgta67 Wrote: I was thinking about Kodi....remember I am linux retarded...IWILL learn this and help others one of these days...THANKS again!!!  SO do you see an advantage of doing a Kodi frontend with a MythTV backend or would it be better to use MythTV for both the front and backend? 

Personally, I could never get on with mythtv. I found it cumbersome and awkward to use. I was however just really starting out on my Linux/HTPC journey and although I got it working OK, it seemed rather heavyweight. In the end I went for TVHeadend as my PVR backend in preference to myth and I don't regret that choice. It can do everything that mythtv can, doesn't need a mysql server and was easy enough to set up. I think it's even easier now as there is a built in wizard that walks you through it. If you're interested in it, there are several guides on here for setting it up from scratch.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-09-10, 07:46)black_eagle Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 23:48)mrgta67 Wrote: I was thinking about Kodi....remember I am linux retarded...IWILL learn this and help others one of these days...THANKS again!!!  SO do you see an advantage of doing a Kodi frontend with a MythTV backend or would it be better to use MythTV for both the front and backend? 

Personally, I could never get on with mythtv. I found it cumbersome and awkward to use. I was however just really starting out on my Linux/HTPC journey and although I got it working OK, it seemed rather heavyweight. In the end I went for TVHeadend as my PVR backend in preference to myth and I don't regret that choice. It can do everything that mythtv can, doesn't need a mysql server and was easy enough to set up. I think it's even easier now as there is a built in wizard that walks you through it. If you're interested in it, there are several guides on here for setting it up from scratch. 
Yes I am interested!  I am learning Linux the HARD way as well.  I have been at this for several weeks learning one small bit at t time.  I actually got the setup to run, but it couldn't connect to the database.  Then it kept trying to connect and wouldn't let me exit the screen.  I must have WinPSTD because I was having winvirus flashbacks!  Had to manually power down.  It wouldn't let me exit!!!
Today I found a line of code to add me to the group and went back to set up and it still can't connect, but it wasn't "looping"  and I could successfully exit the setup.  At one point, a new window popped up "Mythfilldatabase"  It couldn't connect either.  I can't copy any of its message.  But it said I can't connect (as I understand it) because the password was set to "Yes."  The final line was "Would you like to connect to the database connection now?"  I left it there.  When in the set up page it clearly had the right password in it: "mythtv."  I don't know if the setup was from the frontend or backend though...
SO again, YES, point me in a less painful direction :-)
Yeah, there is a guide here that will walk you through it.  In that guide, it says to skip the wizard and directly set stuff up, but if I were you, I'd go though it.

So, having got to the wizard choose the language for the TVH interface and for your EPG ( you can pick 3  languages here but I just picked one).   The next page sets up some networking stuff, an admin user and an ordinary user.  The easiest way for you to set up the network is to use 0.0.0.0/0  That will allow access to the interface from any browser on anything connected to your wifi or cabled up to your router.  Admin login & password might already be filled in, but if not it's what you used when you installed TVH and what you had to type in to get to the setup wizard !!  You can set up an ordinary user here if you want/need to - the credentials you put in here are what Kodi will use to connect with.

Next it will ask you to select the type of network for each of your tuners.  The options are DVB-T/ATSC-T/ISDB-T which are for terrestrial signals (through an antenna/aerial), DVB-S/S2 for satellite signals or DVB-C/ATSC-C/ISDB-C for a cable tuner.  There is a fourth option of IPTV but I'd be more than a little surprised if you were wanting to set that up at this stage Smile

Now you need to select the closest transmitter if using an antenna (T); if using cable ©, select your provider; if using satellite (S), the orbital position of the satellite your dish is pointing towards.  EG for me, my transmitter is Belmont and satellite is Astra 19.2E (Sky/Freesat UK).  If you don't know these details, you should be able to look up what services you can get locally online.  TVH will now start scanning for channels.  WAIT for this to finish !!

The wizard then moves onto service mapping.  This is where the services that TVH has found are mapped to channels.  Channels are what Kodi will play, so any services NOT mapped to a channel will be unavailable in Kodi.  Generally, it is unadvisable to select 'Map all services' as this maps everything, including scrambled channels, adult channels, teleshopping, radio etc.  However, it is easier to get a setup working by mapping all the channels and then removing the unwanted ones afterwards.

Phew, TVH mostly set up.

Next, start Kodi, add the TVH PVR addon and configure it.  The TVHeadend servername or IP will be 127.0.0.1 Don't change the port numbers!  Put in the username and password for the ordinary user we set up in the tvh wizard and click OK.  You should see a message saying that PVR manager is starting up and then see Kodi load all the channels from TVH.

Done.  TV in Kodi from TVH.  You can now set up recordings from inside Kodi and watch them back, watch and pause live tv etc etc.  You can also at your leisure, sort out your channel list and disable anything you don't want or need.
(2019-09-10, 19:17)black_eagle Wrote: Yeah, there is a guide here that will walk you through it.  In that guide, it says to skip the wizard and directly set stuff up, but if I were you, I'd go though it.

So, having got to the wizard choose the language for the TVH interface and for your EPG ( you can pick 3  languages here but I just picked one).   The next page sets up some networking stuff, an admin user and an ordinary user.  The easiest way for you to set up the network is to use 0.0.0.0/0  That will allow access to the interface from any browser on anything connected to your wifi or cabled up to your router.  Admin login & password might already be filled in, but if not it's what you used when you installed TVH and what you had to type in to get to the setup wizard !!  You can set up an ordinary user here if you want/need to - the credentials you put in here are what Kodi will use to connect with.

Next it will ask you to select the type of network for each of your tuners.  The options are DVB-T/ATSC-T/ISDB-T which are for terrestrial signals (through an antenna/aerial), DVB-S/S2 for satellite signals or DVB-C/ATSC-C/ISDB-C for a cable tuner.  There is a fourth option of IPTV but I'd be more than a little surprised if you were wanting to set that up at this stage Smile

Now you need to select the closest transmitter if using an antenna (T); if using cable ©, select your provider; if using satellite (S), the orbital position of the satellite your dish is pointing towards.  EG for me, my transmitter is Belmont and satellite is Astra 19.2E (Sky/Freesat UK).  If you don't know these details, you should be able to look up what services you can get locally online.  TVH will now start scanning for channels.  WAIT for this to finish !!

The wizard then moves onto service mapping.  This is where the services that TVH has found are mapped to channels.  Channels are what Kodi will play, so any services NOT mapped to a channel will be unavailable in Kodi.  Generally, it is unadvisable to select 'Map all services' as this maps everything, including scrambled channels, adult channels, teleshopping, radio etc.  However, it is easier to get a setup working by mapping all the channels and then removing the unwanted ones afterwards.

Phew, TVH mostly set up.

Next, start Kodi, add the TVH PVR addon and configure it.  The TVHeadend servername or IP will be 127.0.0.1 Don't change the port numbers!  Put in the username and password for the ordinary user we set up in the tvh wizard and click OK.  You should see a message saying that PVR manager is starting up and then see Kodi load all the channels from TVH.

Done.  TV in Kodi from TVH.  You can now set up recordings from inside Kodi and watch them back, watch and pause live tv etc etc.  You can also at your leisure, sort out your channel list and disable anything you don't want or need.
WOW...Thanks :-)  So to make sure I understand the order of things:
1) dowload TVheadend
2) set-up #1-with your guide on this page
3) download Kodi and then add pvr add-on
or
1) download Kodi
2) start at the top of this page and work it down...
(2019-09-10, 22:12)mrgta67 Wrote:
(2019-09-10, 19:17)black_eagle Wrote: Yeah, there is a guide here that will walk you through it.  In that guide, it says to skip the wizard and directly set stuff up, but if I were you, I'd go though it.

Phew, TVH mostly set up.

WOW...Thanks :-)  So to make sure I understand the order of things:
1) dowload TVheadend
2) set-up #1-with your guide on this page
3) download Kodi and then add pvr add-on
or
1) download Kodi
2) start at the top of this page and work it down... 
Thanks BlackHawk!!!  I have started with Tvheadend and have gotten through the install!  Yea...and in the set up stage now doing it via the wizzard...fingers and everything else are crossed.
No worries, hope it all goes well for you Smile

By the way, you don't need to keep quoting the previous reply, just use the quick reply box Wink
WOW...17 days of researching and multiple trials and tribulations!  I want to first thank disaacso, Klojum, Tobor, for helping me along the path and a GREAT BIG Thanks for Black_eagle for directing me to a better path!!!  This better path was to avoid MythTV and replace it with TVheadend for the backend.  Keep Kodi as the frontend.  I actually ended up clean installing everything 7 times.  It actually worked the very first time, but I got paranoid and felt I needed to better understand how it installed so easily (after nothing but 16 days of frustration TRYING to get Mythtv installed).  Six times later, I believe the majority of issues I had were operator error in configuring.  It has been running FLAWLESSLY (well almost) for the past 28 or so hours.  
I HIGHLY suggest you clean install your operating system, then TVheadend, then Kodi.  It is a scary endever to begin typing into a terminal after cruisng around in Windows for the past 24 years, but this combination BEATS the CRAP out of Microshyt's Media Center!!!  There is no comparison (it is easier to set up, but that's the only superiority) between the two systems.  Kodi has exponentially more uses and capabilities...it is incredible.  I just wish I had learned about TVheadend 5 years ago when we cut the cord...
So 1) DO a clean install on the latest version of mint (I'd suggest either mate or cinnamon)
2) go to post #38 of this thread and click on the TVheadend (THE) link .  Let the wzzard help you through the install.  > write down your names and passwords for the two accounts they set up.
3) click the download icon at the top of the page to download Kodi.  The link will take you to KidiWiki and follow all the directions!
4) Configure your THE add-on:   add-on>my add-on > pvr client > THE > configure > 127.0.0.1, 9981, 9982, The administrator name you provided to THE, and the password.

I will write up a much more in-depth guide if I see someone write something about being a windows refugee using WMC needing to set up a HTPC...
SOLVED...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connection failed...No response from MythTV backend...Do you want to retry?0