Kodi fails to run on dual screen setup
Running Kodi 18 (Leia) under windows 10 pro.

I have a hdmi cable from my laptop that I use to extend the screen to my tv. Sometimes the cable is loose and the signal to the second display is lost. In this case, Kodi will crash.

It's also not possible to restart kodi, it's just that the windows settings are probably messed up. Other programs can manage to handle these kinds of glitches so don't tell me to buy a better cable.

The only way to recover from this is to restart the laptop.
Buy a better cable
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Haha, I was hoping for that reply!

In all seriousness, if the root cause is your cable getting loose then why ask for a band aid solution? Just get a cable fit for the task.. They're cheap as chips these days.
Childish, I know... but he dared us Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
My Signature
Loss of signal interrupts the handshake of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio & video content as it travels across connections. A restart is best.

[edit bug moniker in the title, it's not a bug]
(2019-09-12, 17:42)PatK Wrote: Loss of signal interrupts the handshake of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio & video content as it travels across connections. A restart is best.

[edit bug moniker in the title, it's not a bug]
A lot of explanations here, but the bottom line is that other software handle these issues better. Kodi is the only one that fails to recover from these issues.

yes, cables can be bad sometimes, but this is how the world looks and software should be designed for what we have and not for some ideal world that doesn't exist.
(2020-04-14, 11:08)Jools772 Wrote: A lot of explanations here
Just one solution from what I read... A New Cable. The explanation was HDCP protection built into the hardware with the express task of ensuring Digital Content Protection. Other software isn't Kodi with a global feature list that depends heavily on the graphic capabilities of the equipment. As a side note, many times I have pulled the plug and Kodi defaults back to primary display without issue with full functionality less the TV display, your case might be in that hardware connection.
(2020-04-14, 11:08)Jools772 Wrote: cables can be bad sometimes, but this is how the world looks
Suggest your issue is incomplete gfx engine with an unlucky set-up, sometimes this is how the world works.
(2020-04-14, 11:08)Jools772 Wrote: software should be designed for what we have and not for some ideal world
I take it you are willing to roll up your sleeves and submit code to make a better world?
(2020-04-14, 18:12)PatK Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 11:08)Jools772 Wrote: A lot of explanations here
Just one solution from what I read... A New Cable. The explanation was HDCP protection built into the hardware with the express task of ensuring Digital Content Protection. Other software isn't Kodi with a global feature list that depends heavily on the graphic capabilities of the equipment. As a side note, many times I have pulled the plug and Kodi defaults back to primary display without issue with full functionality less the TV display, your case might be in that hardware connection.
(2020-04-14, 11:08)Jools772 Wrote: cables can be bad sometimes, but this is how the world looks
Suggest your issue is incomplete gfx engine with an unlucky set-up, sometimes this is how the world works.
(2020-04-14, 11:08)Jools772 Wrote: software should be designed for what we have and not for some ideal world
I take it you are willing to roll up your sleeves and submit code to make a better world? 

Yes!
(2020-04-14, 23:24)Jools772 Wrote: Yes!
Couldn't have a better answer, but before you save the world HOW-TO:Submit a patch (wiki) https://kodi.tv/get-involved
(2020-04-15, 03:12)PatK Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 23:24)Jools772 Wrote: Yes!
Couldn't have a better answer, but before you save the world HOW-TO:Submit a patch (wiki) https://kodi.tv/get-involved 
Thanks. I'll read those and do my part when I have something to contribute.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi fails to run on dual screen setup0