Best certified android box thats not the Shield?
I always hear that the Shield has inferior picture quality to other devices (not sure if its true).

I am looking for an android box that is great for streaming app, meaning it does full 4k HDR.

I see the walmart box, seems like a winner if I was to avoid local UHD with its 100mb ethernet. 

Is there something that I am missing?
Certified - AndroidTV Device Comparison Table (click)

Beware not all devices are approved to install or even stream HD or greater Netflix.

If you do not need Netflix, the Best bang for the buck from that table is the Mecool KM3. (Faster vs the Mi Boxes / Jetstream 4K Ultra)

The best bang for the Buck device that streams Netflix, Prime Video etc. and runs Kodi is the FireTV Stick4K - especially when it on discount sale. That has the best wireless remote going around as well.

Read the following FireTV 4K post and take note of the minor stuff that does not quite work properly with Kodi:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336151

The very soon to be released Amazon 2019 FireTV Cube will be an even more powerful beastie with an even faster high spec AMLogic S922Z chipset in it.

Als be aware the Amazon devices have properly implemented Dolby Audio Licences, which is important if you have old audio equiptment that does not support EAC3/DD+ audio and you still want 5.1 audio from Netflix & Prime Video type streaming Apps.

Both devices will have better picture quality vs the Shield. The Shields old, but still fast GPU has never been know for great upscaled picture output quality vs the more modern competition. It also has no Dolby Audio Licence, which can cause issues with older audio equiptment.

Home network 4K HDR Bluray Rips video streaming needs Gigabit Ethernet, or you add an ASIX chipset USB3 > Gigabit adapter, like the Ugreen ones to devices that do not have GigaE.

Wow thanks a lot for all that info. I recently got an N2 and love it. But it has some kinks to work out, especially on the Android side.

I always avoid the fire sticks because I hate the UI. But it does seem like a worthy contender and cheap enough to get just to test out.

I am happy with the N2 for local stuff. Probably end up getting a second. Just looking for something that can do Netflix and prime the best.

I keep being pointed back to Apple TV as well. You didn't mention it here but I have seen you speak well of it elsewhere. I don't have height speakers seems like that's the main concern.
Yes the N2 & ATV4K is an excellent combo that covers virtually everything.

The advantage with the ATV 4K is you get Netflix auto Frame Rate Matching, for silky smooth video playback. It's the only Netflix App platform that does that. Plus these days a years worth of Apple TV+ subscription included, when buying new ATV 4K hardware.

ATV4K really is a slick, classy, tightly integrated Network streaming setup. Just remember to buy a silicon cover, like the Fintie branded one for the small, slippery ATV 4K remote. That remote takes some getting use too as well. Wink

(2019-09-15, 03:39)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes the N2 & ATV4K is an excellent combo that covers virtually everything.

The advantage with the ATV 4K is you get Netflix auto Frame Rate Matching, for silky smooth video playback. It's the only Netflix App platform that does that. Plus these days a years worth of Apple TV+ subscription included, when buying new ATV 4K hardware.

ATV4K really is a slick, classy, tightly integrated Network streaming setup. Just remember to buy a silicon cover, like the Fintie branded one for the small, slippery ATV 4K remote. That remote takes some getting use too as well. Wink

Thanks. I may have to get one eventually. Still getting the N2 dialed in. My first SBC it's been fun.

I am curious about this picture quality advantage that the ATV is said to have over the Shield.

Sometimes my shield feels a bit soft. But maybe that's just me wanting to buy another device.
(2019-09-15, 05:05)lightsout Wrote: Sometimes my shield feels a bit soft. But maybe that's just me wanting to buy another device.

That’s exactly what a 1080p only Android TV user interface, up scaled to 4K and output at 4K by below average GPU upscaling hardware will look like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best certified android box thats not the Shield?0