• 7(current)
Android 2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z
(2020-04-05, 20:42)fritsch Wrote: AC3 and DD+ (EAC3) should work via RAW even through your ARC port - please try that again with all your restarting ideas. (1)
(2) Try it with IEC again via ARC, but keep DTS disabled, set speakers to 2.0 and AC3 and Dolby Transcoding (Keep EAC3 off).

What are the results? Btw. The shield also does IEC by default, therefore I highly wonder, that you got DTS, AC3 and EAC3 from the shield "over your TV" via ARC. IEC is the same everywhere ... therefore I wonder.

Ok just done some testing......

Important here that is I have Auto Switch Refresh Rate ON then hold hell breaks loose and we get logs like those ones where it cannot seek and jumps over and over again.

So If I enable IEC, Turn ON AC3 and Transcoding then I get sound on DD but no sound on DD+. The soundbar reports Dolby Digital Plus but no sound comes out.
If I then turn transcoding off and enable EAC3 I get DD+ with Atmos and sound.

If I then enable refresh rate switching then things just start jumping and seeking with no sound.

Hope this helps. I assume its better to leave refresh rate switching off and then leave IEC on with AC3 and EAC3?

As for the shield, I am probably misremembering, I have no idea about audio so my mind must be mistaken, it must have only played DTS/DTS-HD when plugged into the soundbar.
Quote:So If I enable IEC, Turn ON AC3 and Transcoding then I get sound on DD but no sound on DD+. The soundbar reports Dolby Digital Plus but no sound comes out.

So one solution for you would then be: Enable AC3, Enable EAC3, Enable Dolby Transcoding, right? That way EAC3 will work and everything else will be output as AC3 if it is multi channel.

For the Adjust Refreshrate issue. I think the following happens: TV turns off and before the Soundbar is fully up again, output is tried. Under System Settings -> Display is a "Delay Refreshrate-Switch" - set that to 5 seconds and try again, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-04-05, 21:04)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:So If I enable IEC, Turn ON AC3 and Transcoding then I get sound on DD but no sound on DD+. The soundbar reports Dolby Digital Plus but no sound comes out.

So one solution for you would then be: Enable AC3, Enable EAC3, Enable Dolby Transcoding, right? That way EAC3 will work and everything else will be output as AC3 if it is multi channel.

For the Adjust Refreshrate issue. I think the following happens: TV turns off and before the Soundbar is fully up again, output is tried. Under System Settings -> Display is a "Delay Refreshrate-Switch" - set that to 5 seconds and try again, please. 

Ok setting delay at 5 seconds and all the Dolby stuff seems to now play perfectly!

It plays as 3.1 with AC3 and EAC3 set to ON, would it be better to leave it at that or to set it at 2.0 and turn transcoding on?

As for DTS I assume thats just not supported via ARC at all?

Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate it!
3.1 <- your ARC can only output 2 PCM channels anyways, there is no support for more. So most likely the FireTV does internal downmixing. I would give that job to kodi, cause it knows what it does :-) Therefore set it to 2.0, enable dolby transcoding. Reason for the transcoding: DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, multi-channel flac, multi-channel aac and all the others besides AC3 EAC3 will then be output as AC3 and you get multi-channel through ARC.

You can fine tune the 5 seconds, I just said this high value, so that we know the right track :-) - Just measure with a stop watch how long your TV needs until you get a picture after switching and add 20% on top. I use something around 2.5 seconds here.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-04-05, 21:17)fritsch Wrote: 3.1 <- your ARC can only output 2 PCM channels anyways, there is no support for more. So most likely the FireTV does internal downmixing. I would give that job to kodi, cause it knows what it does :-) Therefore set it to 2.0, enable dolby transcoding. Reason for the transcoding: DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, multi-channel flac, multi-channel aac and all the others besides AC3 EAC3 will then be output as AC3 and you get multi-channel through ARC.

You can fine tune the 5 seconds, I just said this high value, so that we know the right track :-) - Just measure with a stop watch how long your TV needs until you get a picture after switching and add 20% on top. I use something around 2.5 seconds here.
I did have it set at 3 seconds when all the problems were happening so i think it does need the 5 seconds.

Thank you so much for explaining the channels and transcoding!

Lat question from me, Output configuration and resample quality. Are they good as is by default or could they do with tweaking for this setup?

Thank you so much again for this, I would have ended up listening to PCM audio for the next year without you haha.
Keep them on default :-)

I made the medium quality in a way that you have full Nicquist frequencies with a moderate window. In fact only one guy in our team could hear the difference between medium and high - Also low is quite good already. For highest I just took care that it's so overdone, that CPU load increases heavily - you know - some guys need to see CPU load or it won't sound great :-)

Concerning helping you: No problem at all. You asked nicely, cooperated and provided your logs -> was a pleasure to me.

Now have fun.
(2020-04-05, 21:32)fritsch Wrote: Keep them on default :-)

I made the medium quality in a way that you have full Nicquist frequencies with a moderate window. In fact only one guy in our team could hear the difference between medium and high - Also low is quite good already. For highest I just took care that it's so overdone, that CPU load increases heavily - you know - some guys need to see CPU load or it won't sound great :-)

Concerning helping you: No problem at all. You asked nicely, cooperated and provided your logs -> was a pleasure to me.

Now have fun.
Thank you, really appreciate it. Take care.
(2020-04-05, 21:12)lorkadiscovery Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 21:04)fritsch Wrote:

Ok setting delay at 5 seconds and all the Dolby stuff seems to now play perfectly!

It plays as 3.1 with AC3 and EAC3 set to ON, would it be better to leave it at that or to set it at 2.0 and turn transcoding on?

You need to list your TV brand and model.
If it’s Panasonic I seriously doubt it can passthru DTS audio thru the TV and out again via ARC:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5...assthrough

@fritsch I thought Optical did not have enough bandwidth to do EAC3/DD+ ?

In fact there are some spdif devices out there that can do 192 khz. This is why we have a setting for ages about max sample rate when spdif is chosen. For HDMI, we just try it and as we can see it works nicely in his case.
(2020-04-06, 04:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 21:12)lorkadiscovery Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 21:04)fritsch Wrote: So one solution for you would then be: Enable AC3, Enable EAC3, Enable Dolby Transcoding, right? That way EAC3 will work and everything else will be output as AC3 if it is multi channel.

If it’s Panasonic I seriously doubt it can passthru DTS audio thru the TV and out again via ARC:

Its the Panasonic TX-58GX800B and then the Panasonic SC-HTB700 soundbar.

Its quite a strange situation to be in as for some reason Panasonic are supporting Dolby Vision on the TV sets but not on the soundbars (Until the 2020 soundbars)

So i am left having to make a choice, either get HDR10+ and Dolby Vision but use ARC. Or as was the case with my Shield, plug into th soundbar, get all the audio formats but have no Dolby Vision/HDR10+ passthrough.

I suppose getting more image formats makes more sense as it is just a soundbar and not a full surround sound ATMOS system.

It would be nice if Panasonic either updated the ARC ports to eARC via a firmware update like Sony are doing, or if they add DV/HDR10+ passthrough to the soundbar. I doubt either will happen tho.

Either way tho, my limitations here are in no way an issue with the Cube, since fritsch helped the Cube is performing very well, only issue I have is the 32bit OS as I hate knowing its 32 bit haha.
(2020-04-06, 07:10)lorkadiscovery Wrote:
(2020-04-06, 04:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 21:12)lorkadiscovery Wrote: Ok setting delay at 5 seconds and all the Dolby stuff seems to now play perfectly!

Its the Panasonic TX-58GX800B and then the Panasonic SC-HTB700 soundbar.

I see. I believe all Panasonic TV's are the same - they cannot do anything DTS audio related, you end up with PCM audio.
Panny TV's definitely do not do DTS audio passthru.

I have a 2019 Panasonic GZ1000U OLED.

Quote:Its quite a strange situation to be in as for some reason Panasonic are supporting Dolby Vision on the TV sets but not on the soundbars (Until the 2020 soundbars)

Yep I realised that and went with a Yamaha Soundbar that does 4K@60Hz DolbyVision video passthru.
Does not do HDR10+ video passthru though - very few audio receivers do that.

Quote:So i am left having to make a choice, either get HDR10+ and Dolby Vision but use ARC. Or as was the case with my Shield, plug into the soundbar, get all the audio formats but have no Dolby Vision/HDR10+ passthrough.

I suppose getting more image formats makes more sense as it is just a soundbar and not a full surround sound ATMOS system.

Yep pick which one is more important, audio or video.

With HDMI ARC - you should be able to get 5.1 DD+/Atmos audio from the Netflix App on the TV or DD+ from Apps that support Dolby Audio output on the Shield - with such audio passing thru the TV.

W.

I'm curious if Kodi will ever make use of the Amazon on-screen keyboard for speech to text similar to Plex, SmartYoutube, or other sideloaded apps.

I'm guessing the way Kodi is structured makes this a difficult task
No developer currently has interested - and yeah, we are 1.5 left for Android. Time to get your hands dirty - if you plan to live > 10 years still - good time to start learning C++ is right now :-)
Hello there guys, i'm not a very technical person so i don't understand all the Technical words you're using here Sad

I just wanted to ask if it'w worth upgrading from a stick 4k to a the cube if i want to use netflix, apple tv+, prime, disney+ and kodi with DV/ Atmos ( even if lossy support).

I know that DV through kodi is not possible, but for the other apps would be nice to have

I havr an lg oled c7 and a denon atmos capable avr.

Thanks a lot guys Cool
(2020-04-06, 06:35)fritsch Wrote: In fact there are some spdif devices out there that can do 192 khz. This is why we have a setting for ages about max sample rate when spdif is chosen. For HDMI, we just try it and as we can see it works nicely in his case.

Yep - in the days before HDMI was widespread on AVRs, a number of AVRs (I had a Marantz model) supported >48kHz sampling over SPDIF.  My Soundblaster Audigy USB sound card also supported >48kHz sampling rates over SPDIF.  ISTR that 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz were all supported SPDIF formats.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z0