• 11(current)
Android 2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z
Hi again..

Busy day so didn’t have chance to reply

As i said, I only watch movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime and KODI

my current fire tv box is connected via Ethernet cable in my living room and it’s only about 7ft away from my Broadband Router, my bedroom TV also has a fire tv 4K stick which is over wi fi

It will still be the same distance of 7ft when my Cube TV arrives and I set it up to replace my old fire tv box

I always thought using Ethernet was more stable and less chance of buffering etc?

Do you have a link to the better Ethernet adaptor?
What’s wrong with the one that comes with the cube if I’m close to my router?

Thanks for your help ☺️
(2020-06-30, 02:51)WaynesterUK Wrote: I always thought using Ethernet was more stable and less chance of buffering etc?

Do you have a link to the better Ethernet adaptor?
What’s wrong with the one that comes with the cube if I’m close to my router?

Thanks for your help ☺️

Unless you plan on home network streaming high bitrate 4K Bluray Rips that include lossless HD audio you will be fine with the included 100Mbit only adapter.

My broadband connection is only 71mbps maximum with BT infinity 1, I do watch some 4K movies streaming via KODI yeah, I’ll see how I get on with the included adaptor and if not I’ll have to order this ?

UGREEN Ethernet Adapter, Gigabit Lan Network Adapter 1000Mbps USB 3.0 to RJ45 Adaptor for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP; Linux; Mac OS 10.6 and Higher, Compatible with Macbook, Nintendo Switch etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MYTSN18/r...-EbJ17RX32
(2020-06-30, 10:43)WaynesterUK Wrote: My broadband connection is only 71mbps maximum with BT infinity 1, I do watch some 4K movies streaming via KODI yeah, I’ll see how I get on with the included adaptor and if not I’ll have to order this ?
If you own those movies and are playing them locally - then they may go higher than 100Mbs (UHD Blu-ray rips do for example)

If you are streaming them from a legal source you pay for, like Netflix or Amazon, then they won't go higher than 100Mbs.

If you are streaming content illegally, using a Kodi add-on to do so, then there isn't going to be any support here.
Well... 😁

Watched a few films today and experimented with trying to still get DTS to work on my Amazon Fire TV Box 2nd Gen, didn’t work and I only get Dolby digital surround on everything..

I then setup my new Fire cube, checked for latest software updates and installed them and it’s working great..very fast 👍🏻

I watched the same films again and the settings were exactly the same on KODI as my previous box with KODI, I now have DTS sound finally!

This was on the latest KODI Version...

Glad it works !

This means I can now sell my old box

I would imagine that the fire stick 4K should work the same as the cube with KODI on it?
I was gonna buy one for the TV in the bedroom
Would I benefit from a USB to Gb Ethernet switch adapter (vs the 100Mb included) for KODI startup, paging thru hundreds of titles, etc if my library is all SQL on my server (Gigabit network)?  I'm thinking the faster connection for all the thumbnails and data would help??
(2020-07-07, 19:15)insaneoctane Wrote: Would I benefit from a USB to Gb Ethernet switch adapter (vs the 100Mb included) for KODI startup, paging thru hundreds of titles, etc if my library is all SQL on my server (Gigabit network)?  I'm thinking the faster connection for all the thumbnails and data would help??

bump
I’m using fritsch’s latest fire tv build (completely vanilla) on a new fire tv cube. Only thing I have done is install and configure tvheadend. I get very weird steppy motion when viewing HD channels. Log is below:

http://paste.kodi.tv/adivukamak

Any ideas? Audio is fine.
I think I have written that somewhere in fat: if your primary use case is 1080i live TV then android is the wrong platform of choice, no matter how the box is called.

Just watch the 720p channels only. Alternatively: transcode on tvh side.

This will also not change. Deinterlacing on this platform is done as a bonus in the Blackbox Mediacodec surface without any influence by us.

Turn off entire Mediacodec (both) and hope it's fast enough for sw decode with deinterlace half. If it's your lucky day, it might work better with just surface disabled.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-07-17, 06:46)fritsch Wrote: I think I have written that somewhere in fat: if your primary use case is 1080i live TV then android is the wrong platform of choice, no matter how the box is called.

This will also not change. Deinterlacing on this platform is done as a bonus in the Blackbox Mediacodec surface without any influence by us.

Turn off entire Mediacodec (both) and hope it's fast enough for sw decode with deinterlace half. If it's your lucky day, it might work better with just surface disabled.

I’ve been using 1080i on Android (shields primarily) for years and in general it works great - thanks very much!

In this case disabling ‘auto adjust display rate’ fixed it, I wonder does the Kodi implementation clash with the Fire TV OS implementation? Or perhaps a bigger delay before start.
(2020-07-17, 06:46)fritsch Wrote: I think I have written that somewhere in fat: if your primary use case is 1080i live TV then android is the wrong platform of choice, no matter how the box is called.

100% agree with that if we are talking about AMLogic chipset devices running any sort of Android based OS.
Live TV results are always poor to terrible.

However get any cheap AMLogic chipset device and run CoreELEC Kodi on it and you will get reliable, high quality, full motion deinterlacing for Live and Recorded TV.

(2020-07-17, 08:14)tredman Wrote:

I’ve been using 1080i on Android (shields primarily) for years and in general it works great - thanks very much!

In this case disabling ‘auto adjust display rate’ fixed it, I wonder does the Kodi implementation clash with the Fire TV OS implementation? Or perhaps a bigger delay before start.

Yes, Shield works okayish (at the moment, sometimes they shortly break it between major updates), from quality POV not comparable to e.g. vaapi with mcdi - therefore in general it's the opposite and that's what I was saying - Android's primary use-case is not interlaced material. Does anyone sell content being deliverd in interlaced anymore, besides DVB-S?. Also there is not "the FireOS implementation", cause e.g. Firetv 4K Stick until today just crashes hard for 1080i - firmware issue. Also for the mediacodec implementation it's nothing fire os is doing, all provided by the vendor in their firmware blob.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just tested Atmos on my Cube.
It works great with Netflix and Disney+ but not at all with Amazon's own service Prime Video, funny.
With Kodi + many video files (Dolby Atmos demos) - it worked fine with those demos having DD+ inclusive Atmos metadata (the receiver shows Dolby Atmos and the feeling matches), any other video with TrueHD and Atmos were decoded to PCM (losing Atmos metadata and the feeling, but the 3D sound is still OK).

Anyone had some similar or better findings?
Decided to get the Cube... a worthy upgrade over the FTV Stick 4K. It's noticeably faster, has double the storage, and the integrated Alexa w/equipment control is quite impressive. I got rid of my Harmony Express remote (which is going to lose support from Logitech anyway) as the Cube can control my TV, Xfinity cable box and soundbar. You don't get 100% control, but it's good enough. One only really need the original cable remote to access the DVR and other menu items, but power, sound, and channel changes are a breeze w/the Cube.
Found this article (Prime Video apparently dropped Atmos support)

https://www.avforums.com/news/has-amazon...tmos.17848
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z0