• 16(current)
Android 2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z
(2020-11-24, 21:56)fritsch Wrote: Mmh. Most content my family members watch looks ugly and over saturated now. That's a really big show stopper and sucks heavily. I even think to plug in the Firetv 4K again until this is fixed ...

Are you plugged into an avr, or directly to the tv? When plugged into my tv, it works fine. It just means I have my TV doing the passthrough, and that causes its own issues.
I am not too much interested in workarounds as the Firetv 4K worked flawlessly without any issues at all. They should fix their stuff. So now I have speedy menus but that's it, speedy menus with wrong colors.

Guess what outcry would happen if we would fuck up the colors that much here in kodi ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
may a question about 1080i interlaced h264 (german live tv) streams from tvheadend or enigma2, looks like again no deinterlacing working in the cube, at least playback continues and not freeze (like on fire tv stick 4k).

Is there any idea or recommendation to solve this ? or not possible with kodi ?

sidenote, emby plays back fine, tivimate works, dreamplayer (vlc) works, just kodi dont want to deinterlace ...

for any tipps, thanks ahead.

tested on 18.9, 19 beta 1, 19 fritsch build.
(2020-11-25, 00:41)fritsch Wrote: I am not too much interested in workarounds as the Firetv 4K worked flawlessly without any issues at all. They should fix their stuff. So now I have speedy menus but that's it, speedy menus with wrong colors.

Guess what outcry would happen if we would fuck up the colors that much here in kodi ...
When connected to my amp setting the cube to permanent HDR seems to correct the over saturated colours but outputs SDR as DV lol.

Like others though I connected mine to the TV and with the audio over eARC and get up to 7.1 multi channel using a 19 nightly.

I have noted though that cube only ever outputs 8 bit whereas the new Chromecast I have everything is output as 12bit but no multi channel although I don't see alot of difference in picture quality.
(2020-11-25, 21:49)alturismo Wrote: may a question about 1080i interlaced h264 (german live tv) streams from tvheadend or enigma2, looks like again no deinterlacing working in the cube, at least playback continues and not freeze (like on fire tv stick 4k).

sidenote, emby plays back fine, tivimate works, dreamplayer (vlc) works, just kodi dont want to deinterlace ...

Freeze on Firetv 4K was fixed. In general I think that the time of 1080i is gone, if you still need it, use different hardware. Amazon for sure does not care.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-11-26, 00:38)fritsch Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 21:49)alturismo Wrote: may a question about 1080i interlaced h264 (german live tv) streams from tvheadend or enigma2, looks like again no deinterlacing working in the cube, at least playback continues and not freeze (like on fire tv stick 4k).

Freeze on Firetv 4K was fixed. In general I think that the time of 1080i is gone, if you still need it, use different hardware. Amazon for sure does not care.
nice it doesnt freeze anymore on stick and thanks for the note, i got it more as a toy due HLG support (which my shield and my media pc doesnt support) but i use mainly a stb to watch TV so hardware is here Wink

but may one thing, it would be nice if 1080i would be gone .... but if we talk about legal linear HDTV (DVB Broadcast) it will be a long way to go ... at least in germany.

and this time i cant blame the hardware due it works with all other players i tested, its just i prefer the design of kodi Wink
I am from Germany. With zattoo / 1und1 tv / magenta / waipu / and many others time has come.
(2020-11-26, 07:31)alturismo Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 00:38)fritsch Wrote:

nice it doesnt freeze anymore on stick and thanks for the note, i got it more as a toy due HLG support (which my shield and my media pc doesnt support) but i use mainly a stb to watch TV so hardware is here Wink

but may one thing, it would be nice if 1080i would be gone .... but if we talk about legal linear HDTV (DVB Broadcast) it will be a long way to go ... at least in germany.

and this time i cant blame the hardware due it works with all other players i tested, its just i prefer the design of kodi Wink

Well Germany was the first country to get rid of 1080i on Digital Terrestrial.  DVB-T2 in Germany is 1080p50 not 1080i25 (though all the main broadcasters still run internally at 1080i25 and convert to 1080p50 or 720p50 for terrestrial and satellite respectively - or were last year when I chatted with an engineer from ZDF)

(AIUI 1080i25 is technically within the German DVB-T2 HEVC standard - nobody is using it.  576i25 was not included - the nearest equivalent is 540p50)
and as DVB-T2 was so successful .... Wink it ll die more or less, and about the streaming services compared in quality, its a shame that 1080i is still alot better then zattoo & Co.

so as mentioned, we are still bounded to DVB-S(2) and DVB-C which are sending in a decent quality level when we talk about picture quality,
may also there is a reason why even DAZN now brought DAZN1 & 2 (1080i) in DVB-C ... and when i compare, now i ll even watch a Sport Event in DAZN, which is awful to me in streaming .. (i dont like stuttering).

so, this could be a endless up & down and is way offtopic Wink just sad kodi enviroment cant make use of the fire hardware (i dont blame kodi therefore just to make sure) as when i look at the other players im pretty impressed how good it works on this small cube Wink even compared to my shield tv, to my windows mediacenter with an gtx1070 inside, just my enigma2 vu ultimo4k is a little bit better in pic quality and zapping (FBC Tuners) Wink
(2020-11-26, 11:39)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 07:31)alturismo Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 00:38)fritsch Wrote: Freeze on Firetv 4K was fixed. In general I think that the time of 1080i is gone, if you still need it, use different hardware. Amazon for sure does not care.

Well Germany was the first country to get rid of 1080i on Digital Terrestrial.

A related question about DVB-T2, this time for Italy.
Do you know if TV Networks there are broadcasting using Interlaced or Progressive ?

(2020-11-26, 14:34)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 11:39)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 07:31)alturismo Wrote: nice it doesnt freeze anymore on stick and thanks for the note, i got it more as a toy due HLG support (which my shield and my media pc doesnt support) but i use mainly a stb to watch TV so hardware is here Wink

Well Germany was the first country to get rid of 1080i on Digital Terrestrial.

A related question about DVB-T2, this time for Italy.
Do you know if TV Networks there are broadcasting using Interlaced or Progressive ?
From neighboring Croatia, AFAIK Italy has postponed changing their DVB-T _ MPEG2 H264 to DVB-T2_MPEG4 H265  from 1 January 2020, to the autumn of 2021 (click).
So I assume they are still on DVB-T interlaced/50Hz broadcasting, trailing behind us and Germany that finished transition to DVB-T2 H265 progressive/50Hz.
(2020-11-26, 12:32)alturismo Wrote: and as DVB-T2 was so successful .... Wink it ll die more or less, and about the streaming services compared in quality, its a shame that 1080i is still alot better then zattoo & Co.

Yes - by contrast in the UK DVB-T/T2 is the most successful digital TV platform - well ahead of satellite and cable. (I suspect this is helped by there being no Pay-TV element on DVB-T/T2 - and it having the main BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, BBC News, CBBC, CBeebies, ITV, C4, C5 channels in 1080i HD - though BBC Four, BBC News and CBeebies in HD are less widespread, along with a lot more services in SD. We still also simulcast DVB-T2 HD services in SD on DVB-T...) 

Because we went DVB-T2 with h.264 in 2009 (the standard was kick started by the UK wanting a 'better than DVB-T' system for HD) we've had the benefit of terrestrial being an 'HD platform' for more than 10 years. We use hybrid h.264 encoders that flip between 1080p25 and 1080i25 on a GOP-by-GOP basis to improve picture quality - but won't be going h.265 1080p50 any time soon.
With the aim in the UK of universal broadband, I expect the next switch over would be to wholly IP delivery so they can retire the terrestrial network and sell off the spectrum.
(2020-11-28, 15:32)jjd-uk Wrote: With the aim in the UK of universal broadband, I expect the next switch over would be to wholly IP delivery so they can retire the terrestrial network and sell off the spectrum.

Yes - though that aim was quietly reduced earlier this week.
Ah I hadn't seen that, Freesat is always there as backup, because I can't see DVB-T/T2 taking up valuable spectrum for too much longer although it would probably need a similar switch over period as analogue to digital.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z0