Instant recording for live TV not working properly
Hello everyone,
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I am very new to both Kodi and the forums.
GOing through my new setup and I have struck a problem that I see has been mentioned before but I can find the solution that suits me.
I am based in Australia so apparently we are limited in regards to the EPG provided by some of the TV backends (that's my understanding anyway....more than likely wrong?)
So I tried PVR first and it was easy to set up but the picture was very flaky and intermittent and I just couldn't make the changes required to improve it.
So I went with the mediaportal backend as I know it works and has a decent EPG for Aussie TV, as I was using it with mediaportal as the front end up until I decided I wanted to go Kodi.
So I am at the point where everything is now set up and working fine, except for one weird anomaly.
I have put this issue in the mediaportal section as well, but I believe it is a Kodi issue, because others have reported exactly the same issue with PVR and a couple of other backends as you can see here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=316128
ITs basically an issue with the instant record when I am watching live TV. I just want to be able to press the red record button on my remote and it starts recording the channel I am watching.
THe thing is....it DOES start recording it, but instead of saying "recording started" its says "recording scheduled" and it shows in the guide a timer instead of just the red recording circle.
But the show IS actually being recorded until you stop it. Its as if Kodi is not recognising that it is in record mode or something??
This is my post from the mediaportal section explaining what is going on in addition to the others posts in that thread:
I am confident I have set up and changed and done everything I can to try and get this working, but I am now at a loss and my knowledge of altering coding type things is non existent.
Here is my post, I appreciate any help you guys can offer it really is greatly appreciated and pretty mindblowing how helpful everyone is here. Not to mentiong the absolute geniuses here who code and work to improve and set this all up....it really is outstanding.

"I am getting this too. I have mediaportal tv server as my backend. IT happens on ALL recording options, not jsut my remote. SO when I hit the red record button on my Harmony Ultimate , or the same button on my MCE remote or when I select the keyboard shortcut ctrl + R on my keyboard and even when I hover over the left of the screen, select the Kodi player controls and select the record button within the onscreen player controls ALL of those options invoke the "recording scheduled" message and start a scheduled recording instead of just an instant record mode. THe recording actually starts but I have to hit the normal stop button to stop it (or the "x" button on the keyboard. When I hit the record button a second time it starts another recording and does all the weird stuff others have mentioned on this thread. SUch as if I hit the record button twice it will start another recording, then hit it again it will stop one of the recordings. After I press the normal stop button it stops recording and there are two recordings shown in my recordings, so essentially it IS recording the show, but it doesn't show up in the "recordings" section until you stop it, I assume because its being recorded as a scheduled recording. I jsut want it to instant record and reflect that in Kodi. Its not.
In the PVR setting section I have "Instant recording action" set to "record current show" and all other buttons and commands are working fine. 
Tried the MCER remote addon, but no difference. Tried adding a keymap command into my userdata keymap folder to see if it made a difference but nope, it didnt.
The keymap I put in I found searching that another guy had used to add a hotkey. I mapped it to my "g" key because its not used and was simply this:
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<g>PlayerControl(Record)</g>
</keyboard>
</global>
<FullScreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<g>PlayerControl(Record)</g>
</keyboard>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>
Yep restarted and all of that, but regardless it didn't work, still getting recording scheduled not recording started. Its as if Kodi is somehow reading the signal incorrectly.
THe reason I am concluding that its Kodi is because the same problem seems to occur with a few different backends and as mentioned, it happens on all of the equipment used to initiate the record command.
Any help greatly appreciated."
If the recording is actually started by the backend, scheduling the timer obviously has worked, but it seems that the PVR client add-on (Mediaportal Kodi add-in in your case) did not notify Kodi that the recording actually was started by the backend.

The add-on needs to call "TriggerTimersUpdate" and to supply correct timer states in the subsequent call to "GetTimers" whenever a new recording was started by the backend.

So, my take is that this needs to be fixed in the PVR add-on, not in Kodi. If users of other PVR add-ons also suffer from this problem, those add-ons need to be fixed as well.
So would that be something I can play around with or do you mean the addon developer would need to have a look at it?? The addon has a setup panel outside of Kodi I dont think I can alter any "trigger timers" sort of settings within the Kodi addon?
(2019-09-30, 09:21)longworthdean Wrote: So would that be something I can play around with or do you mean the addon developer would need to have a look at it?? The addon has a setup panel outside of Kodi I dont think I can alter any "trigger timers" sort of settings within the Kodi addon?

This is something a developer has to fix.
I have the same behaviour in the add-on for tvm.
I have never followed up on this, because as you will notice, the add-on will 'catch up' on the fact that something is being recorded at next interval.
(2019-09-30, 08:02)ksooo Wrote: If the recording is actually started by the backend, scheduling the timer obviously has worked, but it seems that the PVR client add-on (Mediaportal Kodi add-in in your case) did not notify Kodi that the recording actually was started by the backend.

The add-on needs to call "TriggerTimersUpdate" and to supply correct timer states in the subsequent call to "GetTimers" whenever a new recording was started by the backend.

So, my take is that this needs to be fixed in the PVR add-on, not in Kodi. If users of other PVR add-ons also suffer from this problem, those add-ons need to be fixed as well.
Idea is ok, but of course I'm aware of the need to trigger this and the addon is already doing this:
See https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.mediapor....cpp#L1541
I'm even calling a  TriggerRecordingUpdate() for instant timers to see the just started recording in Kodi.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
So does this mean its a Kodi issue not reflecting the fact a recording has started??
(2019-10-02, 01:02)longworthdean Wrote: So does this mean its a Kodi issue not reflecting the fact a recording has started??

Without a developer able to reproduce and debug the issue we will never know, I'm afraid.
Not sure what that meansHuh  IS there something I need to do?? That remark seems to have undertones of sarcasm.
(2019-10-03, 01:41)longworthdean Wrote: Not sure what that meansHuh  IS there something I need to do?? That remark seems to have undertones of sarcasm.

There are no undertones.

If you are a developer you could debug the issue to find the cause of the problem. If you are no developer there is nothing you can do at the moment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Instant recording for live TV not working properly0