DVD2XBOX intergration into XBMC?
(gamester17 @ may 04 2004,16:07 Wrote:on second thoughts it might not be so smart implementing dvd2xbox's xbox-game backup function or dvd-ripping into xbmc,
as both of those may have troublesome legal consequences. we're probebely better of in only copying the cd-ripping library Image
i can't see why dvd-ripping would be any different legally than cd-ripping.

overall it's kinda surprising to me the amount of resistance being displayed to these ideas. ripping dvds and cds to the xbox can hardly seem more a part of the mission of xbmc to me.

the "advantage" of implementing these things in xbmc is that it will make it a more complete media solution. the same reason that music playing and video and pictures were all integrated into one. sure, there could have been a seperate app for each of those, they are distinct functions, but if that had been the case, xbmc wouldn't be half as popular as it is.
i like the idea of integrating more and more features into xbmc [dot] done

almost done - therefor i also support the dvd2xbox idea. there is nothing i want more then that xbmc is the universial program for the xbox.

for those who don't understand:
play a movie? xbmc
copy a movie? xbmc
browse the internet? xbmc
everything - xbmc
(manekineko @ may 04 2004,21:00 Wrote:i can't see why dvd-ripping would be any different legally than cd-ripping.
well for starters mpaa (motion picture association) sued 321 studios for dvd x copy because it backed-up retail dvd's, (btw mpa won!Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
please do not turn this into a pyrate discussion. dvd2xbox is not for the purpose of pyrating!

only opinions about if dvd2xbox should be intergrated are wanted!

so far there seems to be alot of support for the integration of dvd2xbox.
reading must be magical or something, it's how i find all da anwsers!
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
Sad 
(b01 @ may 06 2004,18:46 Wrote:please do not turn this into a pyrate discussion. dvd2xbox is not for the purpose of pyrating!
only opinions about if dvd2xbox should be intergrated are wanted!
i'm a fraid a simple yes or no isn't gonna cut it for team-xbmc, we have to consider any legal issues as we will have to take the consequences
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(gamester17 @ may 05 2004,12:47 Wrote:well for starters mpaa (motion picture association) sued 321 studios for dvd x copy because it backed-up retail dvd's, (btw mpa won!Wink
right, i forgot to consider the dmca. dvd ripping is different from cds since dvds are encrypted.

that said, i think the case of xbmc is dissimilar to that one. one key difference is that this dvd2xbox involves format shifting, which has been upheld as legal fair use. dvd x copy had a much harder time justifying its legitimate uses. xbmc should be in the clear on this one.
ok what about encrypted audio cds! did you tell everyone that xbmc will not rip encrypted audio cds?

and the last time i checked you guys weren't selling xbmc, plus you cannot just dl xbmc from a website. you also have to have an xdk to compile it from the cvs!

gamester17, i dont mean to hate, but i was just asking what people think about the idea, if you want to discuss the legal issues about it, make a thread, ,hell you a moderator aren't you.

all i want to know is what xbmc users think about the idea, if this is an issue that bothers you and the xbmc team, then delete the thread and i wont bring it back up.
reading must be magical or something, it's how i find all da anwsers!
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
(b01 @ may 08 2004,01:08 Wrote:ok what about encrypted audio cds! did you tell everyone that xbmc will not rip encrypted audio cds?

and the last time i checked you guys weren't selling xbmc, plus you cannot just dl xbmc from a website. you also have to have an xdk to compile it from the cvs!

gamester17, i dont mean to hate, but i was just asking what people think about the idea, if you want to discuss the legal issues about it, make a thread, ,hell you a moderator aren't you.

all i want to know is what xbmc users think about the idea, if this is an issue that bothers you and the xbmc team, then delete the thread and i wont bring it back up.
i think it should be kept seperate, not just for the reasons gamester points at, but also what hullebulle wrote - it will complicate xbmc source unneededly.

the right way to do this is to use dvd2xbox 100% independently of xbmc in source code. what should be done is make xbmc work better with apps like dvd2xbox, and the other way around. that way noone steps on anyones toes also.
(b01 @ may 08 2004,00:08 Wrote:ok what about encrypted audio cds! did you tell everyone that xbmc will not rip encrypted audio cds?

better inform the users directly so they/you dont get your hopes up to high.

as gamster17 said befor, it is the team that would face a lawsuit from mpaa etc, and not the users!

so i think it is highly justified for him to point out the legal aspects about your suggestions in this thread.

the idea in itself can be the best ever, but if it can not be implemented there is no reason to push on it.

i guess this will be a wait and see scenario...
the only reason i see a need to integrate dvd2xbox is so that i can rip a cd/dvd/game to hd without having to interrupt my music listening.

maybe a python script to do it?
why stop at a ripper, why not make a "dr divx" like feature. where you can rip, or rip and convert the file? i have a 120gb hd in my box and nothing but divx or xvid movies touch it, i need the space for the games i buy, can't compress those, 10 3 gb games are enough, i don't need to add 20 3 gb movies too.

just my two cents...
die hard xbmc and xenium user.

(heraldoffailure @ july 05 2004,08:29 Wrote:why stop at a ripper, why not make a "dr divx" like feature.  where you can rip, or rip and convert the file?  i have a 120gb hd in my box and nothing but divx or xvid movies touch it, i need the space for the games i buy, can't compress those, 10 3 gb games are enough, i don't need to add 20 3 gb movies too.
please respect that this thread is for "dvd2xbox intergration into xbmc", dvd2xbox do not have a "dvd to mpeg-4 transcoding" function
to avoid legal issues. i think if we keep dvd2xbox a seperate program but put a little effort into the dvd2xbox program so that it can be run as a "module" of xbmc in which case it should seamlessly integrate into xbmc using its skin etc.

i think the above solution if it is technically feasible would keep both camps happy and the xbmc developers would be in the clear on the legal front.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| xbox1: v1.1, samsung dvd,120 gb hd,x-ecuter pro 2.2,xbmc
| xbox2: v1.2, phillips dvd, retail hd, tsop, avalaunch, xbmc
| xirremote, x2_4977, media center utils
btw: dvd2xbox is a great program! thank you, wiso!
i agree. it would be easier to the people that use it as a dash.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD2XBOX intergration into XBMC?0