Win Laptop as media player
Hello All,

Sorry for my naive questions again. Due to the lack of availability of proper economical media player, I am planning to use my laptop as a media player by using kodi as I have got lots of mkv files with DTS -HD MA. I had considered buying Apple TV4K as well but the problem is even it is also not supporting DTS-HD passthrough.

I have gone through lot of forums on which most of the members has said that ATV 4K does not support DTS-HD passthrough. Also I thought of buying Mi box S. But in one of the Mi box S review, it was mentioned that it does not support DTS-HD passthrough. I can consider buying nVidia Shield TV but only thing is their latest product is about to be launched and I do not want to regret not having the latest one. So I am waiting for their launch.

Hence for time being, I would like to use my laptop as a media player using kodi. I request you to please guide me how to pass DTS-HD to AVR using kodi on my laptop. Also what kind of remote control do I need to control kodi? would it be a keyboard based or just an air mouse?

Also what settings in Kodi & laptop should I apply so that I get the passthrough? My Laptop is Lenovo Yoga 520 Core i5 with 1TB.
Also do I need to have any specific graphics card for this purpose? I am using windows 10.

I tried attaching hdmi from my laptop to AVR and output to my LG OLED. But i was not getting any dts hd logo on my avr, only pcm or prologic was coming up.

Please help.
(2019-10-03, 10:29)bpranay Wrote: Please help.
That almost sounds desperate :p

Any recent Intel graphics card is good enough for Kodi usage. I'm not part of the audio department so others will have to step in for that.
A Kaby Lake processor decodes up to HEVC 10 bit, so on the video side you should be ok. Once you have that, as Klojum mentions, there's just to check that the HDMI port allows for passthrough audio. But I honestly fail to see why it shouldn't.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-10-03, 10:29)bpranay Wrote: Hello All,

Sorry for my naive questions again. Due to the lack of availability of proper economical media player

Huh ?

There are plenty of economical Kodi media players that can now do HD audio pass through easily. Especially the AMLogic S9xx chipset ones running CoreELEC Kodi. Bang for the buck is the best it has been in years.

Quote:I am planning to use my laptop as a media player by using kodi as I have got lots of mkv files with DTS -HD MA. I had considered buying Apple TV4K as well but the problem is even it is also not supporting DTS-HD passthrough.

I tried attaching hdmi from my laptop to AVR and output to my LG OLED. But i was not getting any dts hd logo on my avr, only pcm or prologic was coming up.

Please help.

The ATV 4K decodes all audio into 24bit 48kHz Multichannel (lossless) LPCM.
It does not matter if the ATV 4K actually does the audio decoding or the AVR does it. Audio will be bit identically. You are not going to hear any difference whatsoever.

LPCM vs. Bitstream does it matter (click) ?

The only thing the ATV 4K really misses out on is pass through of lossless Dolby (TrueHD)Atmos and Multichannel FLAC > 48kHz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Laptop as media player0