Solved Kodi 18.4 (Leia) - Raspberry pi 4 - Raspbian (buster) - 4k problems
Hi everyone,

anyone here had issues playing 4k movies in Raspberry pi 4 with Raspbian?
I've got one with:
(2160p BluRay x265 HEVC 10bit HDR AAC 7.1 Tigole).mkv

but it starts to playing and it shows black screen and no sound.
Some other ones, it just shows video, but stucking a lot.

Did i miss something here?
I've just followed a kodi installarion tutorial for raspberry pi 4, and things seems to work, except this.
Can someone give me some hints here?

Btw th TV is 4k and supports also HDR, and HDMI cable is connected on the 1st port (next to the power).
I'm not sure the Raspbian repo version of Kodi has HEVC/h.265 hardware acceleration enabled - I think you're best of with LibreElec for that.

(LibreElec is a cut down Linux distro, optimised for Kodi use, and the LibreElec and Raspberry Pi devs have concentrated on getting Kodi working within that environment first AIUI)
(2019-10-05, 15:22)noggin Wrote: I'm not sure the Raspbian repo version of Kodi has HEVC/h.265 hardware acceleration enabled - I think you're best of with LibreElec for that.

(LibreElec is a cut down Linux distro, optimised for Kodi use, and the LibreElec and Raspberry Pi devs have concentrated on getting Kodi working within that environment first AIUI)
Is there any way I can enable that? :-\ I don't want to use LibreElec because I have other stuff running on the same raspberry, like nextcloud and openvpn server.
Kodi available on Raspbian Buster, latest available version 18.4, supports 4K HEVC, but 10 bit HDR is not perfect yet, it depends. It is the same on LibreELEC. I don't have a Raspberry at hand to test this weekend, but I doubt that file won't play, if you configure everything right. Please post a Kodi debug log: https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file
(2019-10-05, 16:17)rascas Wrote: Kodi available on Raspbian Buster, latest available version 18.4, supports 4K HEVC, but 10 bit HDR is not perfect yet, it depends. It is the same on LibreELEC. I don't have a Raspberry at hand to test this weekend, but I doubt that file won't play, if you configure everything right. Please post a Kodi debug log: https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file
Hi Rascas, thanks for your help.
Think i saw some posts of you in raspberry pi forums Smile
And followed your tutorial to install kodi.

I've uploaded the log here: https://paste.kodi.tv/yahovemipe.kodi

I can see a bunch of errors, but cant's understand why :\
I can see one straight away...

Code:
2019-10-05 16:12:50.795 T:2972773680  NOTICE: ADDON: plugin.video.mrpiracy v0.9.5 installed

Please actually read the forum rules (wiki) that you accepted and agreed to when you signed up here, especially the part on our piracy policy (wiki).

The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-10-05, 18:08)DarrenHill Wrote: I can see one straight away...
Code:
2019-10-05 16:12:50.795 T:2972773680 NOTICE: ADDON: plugin.video.mrpiracy v0.9.5 installed

Please actually read the forum rules (wiki) that you accepted and agreed to when you signed up here, especially the part on our piracy policy (wiki).

The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time. 

Sorry, you right :\
Already deleted it. Which i could delete the previous link or update it.

The new log: https://paste.kodi.tv/ekawebopen.kodi

got a bunch of these errors :-\ CMMALPool::GetBuffer - failed pool:0xaff49ad0 omvbSadnil) mmal:0xaff18fb0 timeout:500
There's also this one, earlier in the log:

Code:
2019-10-05 17:26:52.721 T:2575384784   ERROR: CMMALVideo::Open : Video codec unknown: ad

Is it specifically this file that's giving the problem, or is it more widespread?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-10-05, 18:39)DarrenHill Wrote: There's also this one, earlier in the log:
Code:
2019-10-05 17:26:52.721 T:2575384784 ERROR: CMMALVideo::Open : Video codec unknown: ad

Is it specifically this file that's giving the problem, or is it more widespread?   
And saw also this one:
Code:
ERROR: CVideoPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [/var/run/lirc/lircd]
it's happening with more files, but different behavior.
On another one i tried, i could saw the movie, but stucking a lot, and another one, it had no sound.
Lircd is for IR remote controls.

Most of your errors are from ffmpeg, which may link to the codec one above. But that's not something I'm an expert on, so I'll have to leave it to someone who is.

Kodi Blog Posts
You only have 160MB of RAM dedicated to the GPU, that is not enough for 4K.
Increase it to 320MB, that is the recommended for the RPI 4. Reboot after change.
(2019-10-05, 19:45)rascas Wrote: You only have 160MB of RAM dedicated to the GPU, that is not enough for 4K.
Increase it to 320MB, that is the recommended for the RPI 4. Reboot after change.

Works! Thanks
Obrigadão Smile
Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18.4 (Leia) - Raspberry pi 4 - Raspbian (buster) - 4k problems0