20 Nov 2019 - TVDB Scraper v3.2.0 is now available which reinstates scraping. TVDB are still in the process of fixing a number of bugs so there may still be further breakages. See this post. 2901570 (post)

Dynamic aspect ratio switch
Hey there,

I've added support for common HDMI aspect ratios to my skin: 4:3 and 21:9 besides the standard 16:9. This should be useful not only for monitors/projectors that use these aspect ratios, but also for different aspect ratio video output. During playback of, let's say, 4:3 video, the normal 16:9 OSD/skin wouldn't be squeezed to fit the 4:3 output, but it could use the native 4:3 skin version. So much for the theory.
In the wild, Kodi doesn't switch aspect ratios supported by a skin on the fly - you have to reload the skin entirely (which is not practical in daily use during playback on users' devices out there). On the fly aspect ratio switching would be really useful especially on setups that don't only support framerate switching or resolution switching during playback, but also aspect ratio switching.

How can this be achieved or is this rather a feature request for the skinning engine? Huh
If you want it to work for videos you can use VideoPlayer.VideoAspect to change the OSD layouts.
(2019-10-06, 09:23)Hitcher Wrote: If you want it to work for videos you can use VideoPlayer.VideoAspect to change the OSD layouts.

Does this change the whole skin's aspect ratio, if a video playback switches the output resolution/aspect ratio to e.g. 480p 4:3? It would need to then switch to the skin's 4:3 mode defined in the addon.xml.
No, what I meant was you can show certain skin elements depending on the VideoPlayer.VideoAspect by using conditional includes.
(2019-10-08, 13:28)Hitcher Wrote: No, what I meant was you can show certain skin elements depending on the VideoPlayer.VideoAspect by using conditional includes.

OK. As it's possible to back out of a playback, it would be really useful to fully switch the skin to a native 4:3 mode. Only adjusting certain elements is not really an option with 4:3 video playback.

Is support for on the fly aspect ratio switching planned? That was one of the main reasons for adding a 4:3 mode.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dynamic aspect ratio switch00