Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2?
Hi, I'm running Kodi on an RPi2 B and I'm having huge issues with files encoded with HEVC, in other words they are unplayable no matter bitrate they's chopping the picture by 2 seconds. Does anyone have issues with any standard 1080p/i files using an RPi4, maybe I'd even dare to ask about 4K vids? Or is there any widely available HW in a similar price range? All I want is sooth video replay and gigabit net.
Thanks.
The RPi2 was never intended for or capable of doing HEVC videos, but on the RPi3B+ with plenty of tricks it was possible upto a certain level.

The RPi4 is capable of doing HEVC videos, but the development of Kodi and its underlying OS'es (LibreELEC, Raspbian) is still ongoing. The RPi4 is quite a new product, and software has only recently entered the beta stage.
Got a Kodi problem? Provide us with a full Debug log (wiki) || Usefull pages: First time user (wiki) || Troubleshooting (wiki) || Free content (wiki) || Forum rules (wiki) || VPN policy (wiki)
from power and such Yes. Pi4 is great.
BUT the Support for it is ,sorry no offence, crap.
Keep that in mind.
It's more that it's still very much a work in progress, as the changes between the Pi3b+ to the Pi4 (and in the firmwares and from Raspbian Stretch to Raspbian Buster) are quite sizable. Things are being worked on, but it's not an overnight process.
|Banned add-ons (wiki) Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

My Blog Posts
Using a Pi4 with the latest LibreElec beta, running Kodi, TVHeadEnd, multiple TV tuners, on 24x7 and it is working pretty much flawlessly. Just connected by HDMI to a 1080p TV.

If that's crap support, I'll take it!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2?00