Solved How can I search for movies by the director's name?
Any suggestions for how I can do this?
Find a movie in your library by the director. Call up the Information Page and select "Same Director"... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Information_Page
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-10-07, 08:20)Karellen Wrote: Find a movie in your library by the director. Call up the Information Page and select "Same Director"... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Information_Page
Thanks. Is there some way I can configure the basic search feature to work for director's names? Some add-on, perhaps?
You need to enable Directors in the Global Search add-on settings as it is disabled by default...

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-10-07, 08:52)Karellen Wrote: You need to enable Directors in the Global Search add-on settings as it is disabled by default...

Great — thanks!

EDIT: See next message...
(2019-10-07, 16:57)mrob Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 08:52)Karellen Wrote: You need to enable Directors in the Global Search add-on settings as it is disabled by default...

Great — thanks!

EDIT: See next message...  
I tried this, but the Global Search > Configure UI seems broken. No buttons appear.

I've got version 8.0.11 of Global Search. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, and then rebooting Kodi, but there was no change.

At the end of the log file, I find this:
Quote:ERROR: CAddon[script.globalsearch]: failed to load addon settings from special://profile/addon_data/script.globalsearch/settings.xml
Any suggestions?
Can you provide the full log thanks. Make sure Debug mode is enabled.
My Signature
(2019-10-11, 06:40)Karellen Wrote: Can you provide the full log thanks. Make sure Debug mode is enabled.

Thanks. yes. Here it is:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/.../

EDIT: scrubbing URL
(2019-10-11, 15:04)mrob Wrote: EDIT: scrubbing URL
Why? I cannot open the log
My Signature
(2019-10-11, 19:26)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-10-11, 15:04)mrob Wrote: EDIT: scrubbing URL
Why? I cannot open the log  
Sorry. Thought it was still accessible. Here's the URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/..../
I don't know what the problem is there. It says it cannot read the file in /home/kodi/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.globalsearch/settings.xml.

Maybe a permission issue, or a corrupt settings.xml file?

Exit Kodi, and delete the settings.xml file. Restart and perform a Search. Kodi will then recreate the file. Does that fix the problem?
My Signature
(2019-10-12, 00:56)Karellen Wrote: I don't know what the problem is there. It says it cannot read the file in /home/kodi/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.globalsearch/settings.xml.

Maybe a permission issue, or a corrupt settings.xml file?

Exit Kodi, and delete the settings.xml file. Restart and perform a Search. Kodi will then recreate the file. Does that fix the problem?

Thanks for your patience. I checked that settings file. It was empty. The server previously ran out of disc space, and this apparently causes Kodi to corrupt settings files.

I removed the file, restarted, tried a search, and now everything works as expected.

Marking this "solved".
Good to hear it was easily fixed.

Thread marked solved.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I search for movies by the director's name?0