"Look for external subtitles" causes super slow loading of movies on my bluray player
Hey all, I have Kodi 18.4 installed on a Windows 10, build 1903 PC. I enabled the UPnP/DLNA service so I could look at the video files through my Samsung BD-J5100 bluray player (don't have a smart TV, so I use the "smart" bluray player as intermediate step).

This all works fine, the bluray player detects the Kodi server and I can play the video's. However, when I put on the option "Look for external subtitles" in the UPnP/DLNA settings (to make use of the .srt subtiles files, since I'm Dutch speaking), it takes ages (more than a minute) to load a movie on my bluray player. When I disable this option again on my PC, movies load perfectly again on my bluray.

For the use on my PC itself, the "Look for external subtitles" does not seem to have impact. Video playback is not delayed on my PC when switched on, only throuhg my bluray player.

My library is not overloaded. I have only 3 TV series and a handful of movies in Kodi.

The problem seems to have appeared after I upgraded my PC to the 1903 build of windows. Before this upgrade, video's loaded fine on my bluray player with the "Look for external subtitles" switched on. Don't know if it actually is related or this is purely coincidence. I tried uninstalling Kodi completely (library included) and reinstall it, but the problem persists.

I could use mkvtoolnix to embed the subtitles in the mkv's, so I don't need to use the "Look for external subtitles", but that's a bit of a hassle when I have a TV-series of 24 episodes... So does someone else experiences the same issue or does someone knows what can be done to solve this issue? Thanks in advance for the support!
Looks like you're familiar with most of the options including the o/s update (not sure a reversal of this would bring you back to full functionally anyway). A proper debug log with logging turned on might offer a clue, but your set-up with enabled UPnP/DLNA service isn't a common way of using Kodi. Perhaps another one of our members will have experience in this area and offer some insight.
Here is my logfile: ozitucowir.kodi (paste)

As you can see the time between the request and the actual playing is 1,5 minutes. Quite long... Maybe an expert can see what's going on?
Little update: Today I tried with the Developer Nightly build, but no change. Loading with "look for external subtitles" enabled takes minutes. I made a logging where I just press play on one certain media file on my bluray player: ewiwonelot.kodi (paste)
(2019-10-07, 15:42)TomVDJ Wrote: I could use mkvtoolnix to embed the subtitles in the mkv's, so I don't need to use the "Look for external subtitles", but that's a bit of a hassle when I have a TV-series of 24 episodes

You could also try to write a batch file in which all 24 eps get their subtitles using FFMPEG. But that's more likely a weekend project. Smile

UPnP does have 14-time looping problem for some reason searching for a subtitle. Care to open a proper bug ticket in the Bug Tracker?
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware that I could open a bug ticket. Will do that this evening.

As for the subtitles, I do prefer to have external ones, since my bluray player seems to render them differently than the embedded ones. The external ones are a bit smaller and positioned more nicely (more to the bottom of the screen). I assume the size option in Kodi has no effect on what's send over to my blurayplayer over UPnP?
(2019-10-10, 19:14)TomVDJ Wrote: I do prefer to have external ones, since my bluray player seems to render them differently than the embedded ones.

Every application will render subtitles differently and have more (or less) options to display them, although looks can be very similar between media players.

(2019-10-10, 19:14)TomVDJ Wrote: I assume the size option in Kodi has no effect on what's send over to my blurayplayer over UPnP?

In this case, Kodi only acts as a server as it pushes your videos+subs to your Bluray device, which is subsequently doing the video display, including the rendering of the subtitles.
Bug ticket ceated: 16749 (GH issue) Let's see if this is something that can be solved...
I see the ticket I created still needs triage, but it seems the log file I posted has dissapeared? Is there a retention policy for these log files?
Still no solution for this problem. Also not in the latest Kodi version. Are there other people with the same problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Look for external subtitles" causes super slow loading of movies on my bluray player0