Music Videos, DVD albums, and Radio Shows
Kodi seems to confuse media file format with content type, assuming if it's a video based file format, it is "Shows or Movies" and if it's an audio format, it's music.

I've been struggling (for years) to handle things like my music albums which are in DVD format (for example, Yes and Jethro Tull have a number of good releases in that format especially for the multi-channel remixes), as well as on the other side of the spectrum, things like BBC radio productions. which are not music, and don't really fit that paradigm.

When I listen to music, I want to sit down, browse to the Artist, and then decide what album to listen to, regardless of what media format that may be.   However, since some of the albums are flac (cd rips) and others are DVD (mostly multi-channel releases), that complicates things enormously, since kodi wants to send them to completely different libraries (and can't really index them in many cases).  if I want to listen to one of my multi-channel albums, I need to go into the video file navigator and browse to it from there, rather than just "pick an album" from the Artist listing in the music section.  Likewise if I feel like dropping some of the artist's music videos in with the music playlist... can't be done... 

When I want to listen to some BCC radio production,  it's also a pain... (I end up once again browsing the file system).

Seems to me that a solution to this would be for kodi to stop conflating "file format" with "content type".   Don't assume that a .flac file is "music", and don't assume an MKV or ISO is a movie or TV show.   I'd like to index my music DVD iso albums (as well as concert videos, or "greatest Video Hits" dvds for that matter), as an "Album" in the music library under the artist, and browse to it the same way I browse to the albums which are in audio-only formats.  (similarly, I've got a couple blu-ray audio discs I ripped to mkv).

I would think the fact I took the time and effort to put the album in the file structure in the Music section should be sufficient to tell kodi to index it as music.   Likewise, I'd love to plop some of my radio shows under the "TV" area (since the are also Show/Season/Episode).

When actually *playing* the media, then that is the time to decide if it should be played with the video-player, or the audio-player.  I don't think forcing it into the "Video" or "Music" library based on file-type is the best way to handle it.

Has anyone managed to index things things in that way (using NFOs, plugins etc?)
(2019-10-08, 23:36)randallspicher Wrote: things like BBC radio productions. which are not music, and don't really fit that paradigm
Might be of help... Audiobooks (wiki)
Use Custom home items (wiki) to separate media types.

As for your other comments, I don't have any experience with DVD/Bluray music, so I will leave that to others.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I convert my multichannel Audio DVDs and DVD-Audio to multichannel FLAC, tag them and add to my music library. Same with Blu-ray Audio, although for Atmos music I convert to MKA and create a CUE (due to an ffmpeg bug MKA tags are not read in Kodi). MKAs hold the original Atmos codec so get decoded by my AVR to Atmos not TrueHD and FLAC cannot contain Atmos objects or more than 8 channels).

For concerts (with video) I convert the entire concert to MKVs split by chapter (song) and rename the files to the song names, create nfo files for each (using my Music Media Helper app - see stickied thread here Kodi music forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294333). This allows Kodi to import into its Music Video library for navigation by Artist, Concert, Song.

I also add a playlist for each concert (auto created with MMH) so I can ‘see’ the concert songs in my iOS app (Kodi Music Remote) so I can easily play any audio only music and music video from my iPad. Additionally, concert songs can be added to playlists too.

EDIT:
If you're interested the history of MMH development and updates is on QuadraphonicQuad surround music website:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/...dio.22693/
(2019-10-09, 05:10)HomerJau Wrote: due to an ffmpeg bug MKA tags are not read in Kodi
Strange. My audiobooks are mka and the tags are read in them. Are you having issues with all tags, or just a select few tags not being read.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-10-09, 05:39)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-10-09, 05:10)HomerJau Wrote: due to an ffmpeg bug MKA tags are not read in Kodi
Strange. My audiobooks are mka and the tags are read in them. Are you having issues with all tags, or just a select few tags not being read. 
The music Song level tags are not read, Album level tags ok. Its due to the way MKA uses tag nodes, one for album info, another for Track/Song level.

After discussions with Dave I created a PR in Kodi and another in FFmpeg a while back but nothing has changed there AFAIK.
The workaround for MKAs is to create an Album CUE containing all the album's tracks. As long as the MKA have no chapters it works (Chapters cause Kodi to ignore the CUE and attempt to read the file chapter tags)... EDIT: Which has another PR from memory, created by another user
@Karellen Here’s the MKA tagging issue: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/16349
Ok, thanks HomerJau
My Signature
Kodi uses file extension to route media to music or video libraries.  The default extensions can be modified in advancedsettings.xml file.  But I don't think there is a way to force DVD/BD iso or folder rips to music.

Within video, if the source folder is set to content musicvideos, there is some integration of music and musicvideo which might help you, though musicvideo content type is more geared towards single-song per medium.  I've played a little with cue files, but not enough to really get an extensive knowledge of where they can be helpful.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Agreed, It would be nice to be able to view releases with both audio and video in the musiclibrary.
One example: https://musicbrainz.org/release/b22a5e98...0fdff743a6

New on the forum, cheers guys for this fantastic piece of software!

Robert from Sweden.
Here's some examples of what I've done:

Adding a M3U playlist for my Concert discs (one folder per concert, individual files per song):

The Official Kodi iOS (on iPad) App now sees the music concerts in its Playlist list (left) including track list (on right):

The Kodi Music Remote app (iPad) shows music videos in its Playlist list: (including track list)

I can navigate to any artist's concert and play or add any track to the current playlist. No need to interupt the currently playing music video or changing the Kodi screen.

Music Media Helper automatically (recursively) creates a Playlist for each Concert folder adding all the video files contained in each folder and copies the Playlists to the Kodi device.

Creating NFO files for each concert song file:

This is what you see in Kodi (Leia) Music Videos with Aeon Nox: Silvo skin for Concerts after splitting into chapters and creating nfo files and scanning source folder as 'Music Video':

Artist View: (shows each artist and their Concerts)

Track View (after entering a Concert for an Artist)

Music Media Helper automatically (recursively) creates an NFO file for each Concert folder's video files (adding all the video files contained in each folder when Kodi scans the Source as a Music Video)
(2019-10-09, 05:10)HomerJau Wrote: I convert my multichannel Audio DVDs and DVD-Audio to multichannel FLAC, tag them and add to my music library. Same with Blu-ray Audio, although for Atmos music I convert to MKA and create a CUE (due to an ffmpeg bug MKA tags are not read in Kodi). MKAs hold the original Atmos codec so get decoded by my AVR to Atmos not TrueHD and FLAC cannot contain Atmos objects or more than 8 channels).

For concerts (with video) I convert the entire concert to MKVs split by chapter (song) and rename the files to the song names, create nfo files for each (using my Music Media Helper app - see stickied thread here Kodi music forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294333). This allows Kodi to import into its Music Video library for navigation by Artist, Concert, Song.

I also add a playlist for each concert (auto created with MMH) so I can ‘see’ the concert songs in my iOS app (Kodi Music Remote) so I can easily play any audio only music and music video from my iPad. Additionally, concert songs can be added to playlists too.
You have extremely huge ammount of redundant work to do. Don't you?
(2019-10-12, 01:00)garfield Wrote: You have extremely huge ammount of redundant work to do. Don't you?

I've already done over 1000 multichannel albums and about 240 concert releases (mostly BDV). Its not much effort now as I do each new release as it arrives, that's only a dozen or so a now year probably.

On top of ripping each disc, there's not much work as converting to FLAC or splitting into individual MKV files per song is extremely fast. I have a pair of Samsung 960 Pro SSDs (1TB). Read from the ripped file on one to create converted files on the other at about 800MB/s. Its takes no time really.
(2019-10-13, 00:09)HomerJau Wrote:
(2019-10-12, 01:00)garfield Wrote: You have extremely huge ammount of redundant work to do. Don't you?

I've already done over 1000 multichannel albums and about 240 concert releases (mostly BDV)....
there's not much work as converting to FLAC or splitting into individual MKV files per song is extremely fast

I think the initial question was how to preserve the original structure of the release and treat it as music one while technically it is a movie and currently being treated like video.

Of course you could convert them the way you like but there is a problem in case one wants to access a movie (a concert video, music videos compilation, etc) via music library.
The OP mentioned DVD releases contains audio only, I offered a way to get those albums into the music library and a way to get any music video into the music video library. I’m not sure why you feel the need to criticise my posts?

Are there any other alternatives?

BTW: I didn’t read anything about preserving the original format in the OP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Videos, DVD albums, and Radio Shows0