Remote backup option for Openelec?
Hi,
I have built a custom surround sound system for my car based on OpenElec and RPI2. It was completed in sometime 2015, and has been running smoothly for almost 4 years now. 
I fear that at some point, one of the flashes used (the boot SD card or the storage flash) might malfunction, so i would like to back them up. 
The thing is, i'm somewhat reluctant to remove it from my car and disassemble it in order to back the flashes up on a PC (using WinDiskImager32 or something). My question is - can i backup both the boot flash and the storage flash over SSH or SFTP by creating exact images of these flashes? That way, i can back everything up wirelessly in my car. 
I am aware of the built-in backup function of Openelec, and have used it to back things up. But i won't know if it's good enough until something goes wrong. And since the version i'm backing up is old, i can't make sure that it'll suffice when the time comes. 

Thanks in advance for your help...
The built-in backup is sufficient for the /storage partition.

Since you're using OpenELEC (a distribution that is no longer maintained) you don't have to worry about any future updates, so just make a tar backup of the /flash partition (this will ensure your config.txt and cmdline.txt files are backed up).

If you need to create a new SD card in future, apply any RPi2 version of OpenELEC img.gz (assuming they're still available to download) to an SD card, overwrite /flash with the contents of your tar file, boot the system then apply your /storage backup.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2019-10-10, 15:55)Milhouse Wrote: The built-in backup is sufficient for the /storage partition.

Since you're using OpenELEC (a distribution that is no longer maintained) you don't have to worry about any future updates, so just make a tar backup of the /flash partition (this will ensure your config.txt and cmdline.txt files are backed up).

If you need to create a new SD card in future, apply any RPi2 version of OpenELEC img.gz (assuming they're still available to download) to an SD card, overwrite /flash with the contents of your tar file, boot the system then apply your /storage backup.

Thanks Milhouse. I forgot to mention that i'm using a custom build of OpenELEC (had to patch in a touch-screen support). 
I assume that /flash contains everything that's needed from the SD card, right?
Is there a command line utility to completely back up the USB drive that contains /storage? Maybe using WinSCP?

Thanks again...
(2019-10-11, 13:13)jblook Wrote: Thanks Milhouse. I forgot to mention that i'm using a custom build of OpenELEC (had to patch in a touch-screen support).

You should submit your changes to LibreELEC as a PR, that way in future you won't need a custom build.

(2019-10-11, 13:13)jblook Wrote: I assume that /flash contains everything that's needed from the SD card, right?

Yes.

(2019-10-11, 13:13)jblook Wrote: Is there a command line utility to completely back up the USB drive that contains /storage? Maybe using WinSCP?

I guess WinSCP will work, as will rsync (install the rsync addon from the OpenELEC repository), or tar. If you shut down Kodi before taking your backup it should be reasonably usable.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote backup option for Openelec?0