Kodi and remote controls...
Hi, I am brand new to Kodi.  I am about to install it on an Intel NUC with LibreElec.  My questions are:

1. Can every function in Kodi be controlled with a remote control (as opposed to a keyboard and mouse)?  By "every function" I mean selecting and launching videos and using add-ons like BBC iPlayer.  (I understand that configuring Kodi will require a mouse/keyboard).
2. Can I configure LibreElec to auto-login and auto launch Kodi?  My hope here is that after a power interruption, the unit will restart and Kodi will launch.

Thanks in advance for any nuggets of wisdom you can toss my way.

Bob
1) Kodi was designed to be used with a remote, although using a keyboard and mouse is possible (for the most part).

2) LibreELEC has only one main application: Kodi, which will start on startup. Normally using the suspend option should work, but "YMMV" per machine.
Kodi can be controlled by a remote which only has the following buttons:

- left
- right
- up
- down
- Enter/Select
- menu
- back

and optional

- info

Nearly any remote should have those buttons. If the machine you plan to use does have an built in IR-receiver already, then you can either use that or you can consider using a FLIRC (that's what I do). By using a FLIRC you are able to use ANY IR remote. A "FLIRC" is an USB dongle with an built in IR receiver which will be recognized by Kodi as a keyboard. So after you set that up once, you can simply plug that into any Kodi client you might have and use the remote like you are used to.

Not a "must have", but for sure a "nice to have" as it's absolutely simple to set this up Wink
(2019-10-10, 21:48)neutronJK Wrote: Hi, I am brand new to Kodi.  I am about to install it on an Intel NUC with LibreElec.  My questions are:

1. Can every function in Kodi be controlled with a remote control (as opposed to a keyboard and mouse)?  By "every function" I mean selecting and launching videos and using add-ons like BBC iPlayer.  (I understand that configuring Kodi will require a mouse/keyboard).
2. Can I configure LibreElec to auto-login and auto launch Kodi?  My hope here is that after a power interruption, the unit will restart and Kodi will launch.

Thanks in advance for any nuggets of wisdom you can toss my way.

Bob

I have a couple of NUCs with LibreELEC so here's my thoughts:

1. When you press the power button on the NUC, it boots into LibreELEC automatically, displaying the Kodi home screen.
2. As DaVu noted, using a Flirc with an infrared remote (I use a Harmony 650) is a great way to go. The Flirc has a built-in "Kodi" profile that covers almost all Kodi functions. Using the Flirc GUI on my PC I was able to reprogram a few more buttons on the Harmony (toggle subtitles, "context" menu, etc.). I only use a keyboard if I have to do a lot of typing (onscreen keyboard works, but is bit tedious). Navigating to and using add-ons is easy with the remote.
3. Auto-restarting after a power interruption *might* be possible in the NUC's BIOS settings, but I haven't looked.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
The Minix A2 Lite (available on Amazon) has a USB RF (Radio Frequency) dongle, no need for direct line of sight. Works ‘out the box’ with my two NUCs with LibreElec and has a small keyboard on the reverse side. Highly Recommended.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and remote controls...0