5.1 surround output via optical output
Hi

I am need of advice.  I used to run openelec and Kodi on Asus passive motherboard.  This was HD video only but had optical SPDIF output that sent 5.1 surround signal to my Samsung surrounds sound blue ray player with optical in.  After purchasing a 4K TV I wanted to get a 4K kodi box.

At first I got an Nvidia Shield but this did not have optical out and all 3 HDMI - SPDIF splitters I tried  failed to send 5.1 surround signal to Samsung only 2 channel.  My 'Smart' TV also refuses to pass through 5.1 signal via optical out.

So I then tried a A95X F2 Android 9.0 TV BOX and this also does not send 5.1 via the optical out!  

Can anyone tell me if this is impossible with an Android box or if anyone can tell me what hardware would allow me to achieve 4k Video and surround sound output via optical out.  I know that I have posted to Android thread but will happily use any solution on whatever hardware is suggested. 

Someone out there must use this configuration.

Many thanks in advance.
Set PCM Settings to Stereo 2.0
Enable AC3 capable receiver
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Try this combination. Your TV should get Dolby for multi channel and should pass that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-10-11, 20:29)fritsch Wrote: Set PCM Settings to Stereo 2.0
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Try this combination. Your TV should get Dolby for multi channel and should pass that.

Many thanks for your reply. I think I tried most settings and combinations but cannot be sure I covered all bases as there must be few.

Currently do not have a device. That is what I am asking advice for. What hardware box will transmit 5.1 surround via optical output.
(2019-10-12, 00:37)ninjagull99 Wrote:
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Many thanks for your reply. I think I tried most settings and combinations but cannot be sure I covered all bases as there must be few.

Currently do not have a device. That is what I am asking advice for. What hardware box will transmit 5.1 surround via optical output. 

please read the following topics to pick your kodi box of choice; TOPIC NAME//START HERE PICK THE RIGHT KODI BOX updated march 2019, beautifully and elaborately posted by mr.wrxtasy. Also read about kodi audio settings to get 5.1 audio out via optical out. i guess you want android 5.1 audio passthrough .The answer is right there. Mr.Fritsch also guided you regarding audio settings. Good luck. regards.
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Yes transcoding is really is the only option for Android Kodi legacy 5.1 audio Optical support.

As another note the Android TV (OS) has the worst Dolby Audio OS support vs FireTV and Apple TV’s.
Even devices like the Mi Box that supposedly have a Dolby Audio licence cannot for example downmix 5.1 DD+ > 5.1 DD and then send output over Optical.

Use Kodi instead.

(2019-10-14, 06:57)wrxtasy Wrote:
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Yes transcoding is really is the only option for Android Kodi legacy 5.1 audio Optical support.

As another note the Android TV (OS) has the worst Dolby Audio OS support vs FireTV and Apple TV’s.
Even devices like the Mi Box that supposedly have a Dolby Audio licence cannot for example downmix 5.1 DD+ > 5.1 DD and then send output over Optical.

Use Kodi instead. 
hi wrxtasy, won't we get 5.1 optical or 7.1 hdmi passthrough with kodi in android nougat amlogic tv boxes. will that be applicable to kodi krypton only or even with latest kodi versions too. regards.
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Use Kodi instead. 
Many thanks for taking the time to post replies to me.  I sent the A95X F2 Android 9.0 TV BOX back and unable to test.  I still have my Nvidia shield, if I use the settings above is Mr Fritsch saying that My TV will pass the 5.1 surround sound signal to my Samsung surround sound system.  I read the thread on what box to get as a beginner especially for audio but there seems to be no mention of 5.1 over optical, only HDMI.  
Just wondered if anyone has got an Android box and getting 5.1 surround output from optical output?  Many thanks
(2019-10-14, 13:35)tigersky Wrote:
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Use Kodi instead. 
hi wrxtasy, won't we get 5.1 optical or 7.1 hdmi passthrough with kodi in android nougat amlogic tv boxes. will that be applicable to kodi krypton only or even with latest kodi versions too. regards.

Yes generally AML devices running Nougat 7.x Firmware have IEC61937 support for such optical / HDMI audio passthru for use with Kodi Krypton, Leia and Matrix.

You also have to manually select in Android Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > HDMI or SPDIF

AML devices running Oreo 8.1 or Pie 9.x Firmware seem to have lost IEC61937 support.

(2019-10-14, 18:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 13:35)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 06:57)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes transcoding is really is the only option for Android Kodi legacy 5.1 audio Optical support.

Use Kodi instead. 

Yes generally AML devices running Nougat 7.x Firmware have IEC61937 support for such optical / HDMI audio passthru for use with Kodi Krypton, Leia and Matrix.

You have to manually select in Android Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > HDMI or SPDIF

AML devices running Oreo 8.1 or Pie 9.x Firmware seem to have lost IEC61937 support. 
many thanks wrxtasy for your valuable time. can you please tell us the difference in[5.1 optical  or 7.1 hdmi] pass through audio quality; android nougat kodi pass through  vs  coreelec kodi passthrough .  any difference at all or same to a good audio receiver. Also can you tell us why is that so difficult or impossible to implement official android api IEC61937 support in all android versions by the android box vendors and manufacturers . is it for economical reasons or any other specific reasons .
(2019-10-14, 17:32)ninjagull99 Wrote:
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Use Kodi instead.  
Many thanks for taking the time to post replies to me.  I sent the A95X F2 Android 9.0 TV BOX back and unable to test.  I still have my Nvidia shield, if I use the settings above is Mr Fritsch saying that My TV will pass the 5.1 surround sound signal to my Samsung surround sound system.  I read the thread on what box to get as a beginner especially for audio but there seems to be no mention of 5.1 over optical, only HDMI.  
Just wondered if anyone has got an Android box and getting 5.1 surround output from optical output?  Many thanks 
hi ninjagull99, I'm using beelink gt1 android box with above audio settings as mentioned by fritsch to get both 5.1 optical out and 5.1 hdmi out to a sony receiver. you can get 5.1 optical out with almost any Android tv box ,even with A95X F2 PROVIDED you have the appropriate audio settings in kodi and your box audio settings. please go through the kodi audio settings page once more. goodluck. i have even ordered  a new android box running nougat version 7.1.2  to get 5.1 and 7.1 auio pass through in kodi as per mr.wrxtasy's suggestions.
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Use Kodi instead.  
if your audio system has only spdif [co axial or optical] input [no hdmi],then you have to purchase a box with spdif out [either co axial or optical] as per your audio system input. my box has both hdmi and optical out. i use hdmi out. all boxes out there will have hdmi out  with or without optical out. so be careful in choosing your box.
(2019-10-14, 19:51)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 18:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 13:35)tigersky Wrote: hi wrxtasy, won't we get 5.1 optical or 7.1 hdmi passthrough with kodi in android nougat amlogic tv boxes. will that be applicable to kodi krypton only or even with latest kodi versions too. regards. 

You have to manually select in Android Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > HDMI or SPDIF

many thanks wrxtasy for your valuable time. can you please tell us the difference in[5.1 optical  or 7.1 hdmi] pass through audio quality; android nougat kodi pass through  vs  coreelec kodi passthrough .  any difference at all or same to a good audio receiver. Also can you tell us why is that so difficult or impossible to implement official android api IEC61937 support in all android versions by the android box vendors and manufacturers . is it for economical reasons or any other specific reasons .

5.1 Optical audio quality will be the same, but 5.1 / 7.1 AAC or FLAC decoded straight to 5.1. / 7.1 (L)PCM and output over HDMI to a receiver that can handle such multichannel PCM audio will be superior with CoreELEC.

Virtually all AML Android devices cannot do such Multichannel PCM, so have to decode and then resampled 5.1 / 7.1 AAC or FLAC and repack it into 5.1 only AC3. There will be a further loss in audio quality during the process.

The Google Android OS audio mixer has limitations as well for LPCM oudio output.

It's very strange that the v4.9 AMLogic Linux Kernel used for AML Oreo 8.1 onwards has NO IEC61937 support.
Yet that same v4.9 Kernel used on a 2016 Mi Box running Oreo 8.0 does have IEC61937 support.

Looks like some audio patches have been left out of the Oreo 8.1 / Pie 9.0 SDK that AMLogic distributes to hardware vendors for some unknown reason.

(2019-10-14, 20:14)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 06:57)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes transcoding is really is the only option for Android Kodi legacy 5.1 audio Optical support.

Use Kodi instead.  
hi ninjagull99, I'm using beelink gt1 android box with above audio settings as mentioned by fritsch to get both 5.1 optical out and 5.1 hdmi out to a sony receiver. you can get 5.1 optical out with almost any Android tv box ,even with A95X F2 PROVIDED you have the appropriate audio settings in kodi and your box audio settings. please go through the kodi audio settings page once more. goodluck. i have even ordered  a new android box running nougat version 7.1.2  to get 5.1 and 7.1 auio pass through in kodi as per mr.wrxtasy's suggestions. 
Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for that information.  I will order a GT1 box today and let you know who I get on.  Thank you to everyone how has posted to this thread and the excellent support.
(2019-10-15, 02:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 19:51)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 18:07)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes generally AML devices running Nougat 7.x Firmware have IEC61937 support for such optical / HDMI audio passthru for use with Kodi Krypton, Leia and Matrix.

5.1 Optical audio quality will be the same, but 5.1 / 7.1 AAC or FLAC decoded straight to 5.1. / 7.1 (L)PCM and output over HDMI to a receiver that can handle such multichannel PCM audio will be superior with CoreELEC.

Virtually all AML Android devices cannot do such Multichannel PCM, so have to decode and then resampled 5.1 / 7.1 AAC or FLAC and repack it into 5.1 only AC3. There will be a further loss in audio quality during the process.

The Google Android OS audio mixer has limitations as well for LPCM oudio output.

It's very strange that the v4.9 AMLogic Linux Kernel used for AML Oreo 8.1 onwards has NO IEC61937 support.
Yet that same v4.9 Kernel used on a 2016 Mi Box running Oreo 8.0 does have IEC61937 support.

Looks like some audio patches have been left out of the Oreo 8.1 / Pie 9.0 SDK that AMLogic distributes to hardware vendors for some unknown reason. 
Thank-you mr.wrxtasy for your prompt and vivid technical explanations. don't they [amlogic soc manufacturers ] know about this important issue regarding lack of IEC61937 audio support so that they can bring it back so that the millions of Android box lovers would  enjoy it. Another question . which one do you recommend kodi decoding audio with multi lpcm out or kodi audio pass through . which is superior? i guess pass through .
(2019-10-15, 12:54)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 20:14)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 17:32)ninjagull99 Wrote: Many thanks for taking the time to post replies to me.  I sent the A95X F2 Android 9.0 TV BOX back and unable to test.  I still have my Nvidia shield, if I use the settings above is Mr Fritsch saying that My TV will pass the 5.1 surround sound signal to my Samsung surround sound system.  I read the thread on what box to get as a beginner especially for audio but there seems to be no mention of 5.1 over optical, only HDMI.  
Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for that information.  I will order a GT1 box today and let you know who I get on.  Thank you to everyone how has posted to this thread and the excellent support. 
DEAR ninja,   beelink products are good but costly when compared to others. please let me know your exact requirements . I'll guide you. why don't you think about DIY  coreelec or libreelec to run kodi and enjoy high quality audio and video out. it's pretty simple. cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 surround output via optical output1