5.1 surround output via optical output
(2019-10-20, 21:28)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-19, 00:36)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 11:25)ninjagull99 Wrote: Dear wrxtasy

Many thanks for that suggestion.  I particularity like the idea putting Corelec Kodi onto microSDHC card and then installing it directly onto device itself and thus removing Android altogether, it's purely Kodi that I am after.

Best wishes 

Just a follow up to say that I successfully installed coreelec Kodi onto beeline gt1-a this evening. Working really well, no Ethernet drop outs, allows 4K resolution, 5.1 surround now being played correctly to all speakers, even the remote works from sofa not just less than 1 metre Sait did previously, can't work that one out! In Kodi settings I can enable pass through but the option to choose what device cannot be selected. It is saying HDMI but I am getting output from SPDIF so not too worried.

All I need now is to work out how to install onto the internal eMMC memory.

Thank you everyone again for help along the way. 
hi ninja, installation to internal memory is not supported by coreelec team for android boxes but recommended for SBC's. coreelec runs pretty well on sd card in beelink gt1. please reconsider your decision.

Hi tigersky

Many thanks, had started researching how to install to eMMC earlier and saw posts about how it was not supported and not much faster. So had decided not to try to do internal install. If it ain’t bust then why fix it? Really pleased that it’s all working with Kodi, great job by all the developers. Love being able to use devices for slightly different purposes. I have been using Kodi since the days of XBMC when I installed it on original XBox which required hardware hack!
(2019-10-20, 23:02)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-20, 21:28)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-19, 00:36)ninjagull99 Wrote: Just a follow up to say that I successfully installed coreelec Kodi onto beeline gt1-a this evening. Working really well, no Ethernet drop outs, allows 4K resolution, 5.1 surround now being played correctly to all speakers, even the remote works from sofa not just less than 1 metre Sait did previously, can't work that one out! In Kodi settings I can enable pass through but the option to choose what device cannot be selected. It is saying HDMI but I am getting output from SPDIF so not too worried.

All I need now is to work out how to install onto the internal eMMC memory.

Thank you everyone again for help along the way. 
hi ninja, installation to internal memory is not supported by coreelec team for android boxes but recommended for SBC's. coreelec runs pretty well on sd card in beelink gt1. please reconsider your decision. 

Hi tigersky

Many thanks, had started researching how to install to eMMC earlier and saw posts about how it was not supported and not much faster. So had decided not to try to do internal install. If it ain’t bust then why fix it? Really pleased that it’s all working with Kodi, great job by all the developers. Love being able to use devices for slightly different purposes. I have been using Kodi since the days of XBMC when I installed it on original XBox which required hardware hack! 
hi ninja, wise decision . why did you not consider odroid n2 coreelec edition if it's purely kodi that you are after.
(2019-10-21, 13:57)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-20, 21:28)tigersky Wrote: hi ninja, installation to internal memory is not supported by coreelec team for android boxes but recommended for SBC's. coreelec runs pretty well on sd card in beelink gt1. please reconsider your decision. 

Hi tigersky

hi ninja, wise decision . why did you not consider odroid n2 coreelec edition if it's purely kodi that you are after.  
Dear Tigersky

Purely ignorance on my part, is odroid n2 corelec different to the coreelec 9.2.0 that I installed onto my BeeLink GT1-A?  I used the gxm_q200_3g file as my dtb.img file as this was entry in device tree list for 
Beelink GT1 Ultimate which was nearest I could see for GT1-A.  Would it be fair to say that the dtm.img file is acting like device drivers in Windows?  That is why you need specific ones to support different network cards etc?
(2019-10-20, 21:28)tigersky Wrote: hi ninja, installation to internal memory is not supported by coreelec team for android boxes but recommended for SBC's. coreelec runs pretty well on sd card in beelink gt1. please reconsider your decision. 

Hi tigersky

ODROID N2 has no built in Optical / SPDIF.

(2019-10-22, 03:17)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-20, 23:02)ninjagull99 Wrote: Hi tigersky

ODROID N2 has no built in Optical / SPDIF. 

Dear Tigersky, sorry for my confusion, I hadn't realised that Odroid N2 was a physical board.  As you say, no  Optical /SPDIF which rules it out immediately.

Thanks for advice.
(2019-10-21, 15:39)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-20, 23:02)ninjagull99 Wrote: Hi tigersky

Dear Tigersky

Purely ignorance on my part, is odroid n2 corelec different to the coreelec 9.2.0 that I installed onto my BeeLink GT1-A?  I used the gxm_q200_3g file as my dtb.img file as this was entry in device tree list for 
Beelink GT1 Ultimate which was nearest I could see for GT1-A.  Would it be fair to say that the dtm.img file is acting like device drivers in Windows?  That is why you need specific ones to support different network cards etc? 
hi ninja ,   can you please share you 5.1 optical out audio settings in coreelec kodi.
(2019-10-22, 14:06)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-21, 15:39)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-21, 13:57)tigersky Wrote: hi ninja, wise decision . why did you not consider odroid n2 coreelec edition if it's purely kodi that you are after.   
Dear Tigersky

hi ninja ,   can you please share you 5.1 optical out audio settings in coreelec kodi. 
Certainly;

Audio output device                            ALSA: AML-M8AUDIO,PCM
Number of channels                            2.0
Output Configuration                           Best Match
Volume Control Steps                          20
Maintain original volume on downmix   'on'
Stereo upmix                                     'off'
Include LFE in Stereo downmix            0%
Boost center channel when down...      0dB
Resample Quality                               Medium
Threshold for pitch correction              2
Keep Audio device alive                      off
Send low volume noise                       'off'

Allow passthrough                             'on'
Passthrough output device                 ALSA: AML-M8AUDIO,HDMI  (N.B. this line is greyed out and cannot be selected)
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver    'on'
-Enable Dolby digital (AC3) transcoding 'on'
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver 'on'
DTS capable receiver                         'on'
True HD capable receiver                   'on'
DTS-HD capable receiver                    'off'
(2019-10-22, 15:12)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 14:06)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-21, 15:39)ninjagull99 Wrote: Dear Tigersky

Certainly;

Passthrough output device                 ALSA: AML-M8AUDIO,HDMI  (N.B. this line is greyed out and cannot be selected)
i guess your avr has only optical in but no hdmi in. HD audio cannot pass through optical out but in hdmi. then why you enabled true hd on. also select hdmi alsa instead of pcm since beelink outputs audio both in hdmi and optical simultaneously even if you select hdmi out. our aim is to get high quality optical 5.1 out rather than the inferior transcoded 5.1 optical out like the android os does for dts audio since it can't be passed through in android os. dts pass through is possiblein linux. that's the beauty of coreelec and libreelec.
(2019-10-11, 18:17)ninjagull99 Wrote: Hi

I am need of advice.  I used to run openelec and Kodi on Asus passive motherboard.  This was HD video only but had optical SPDIF output that sent 5.1 surround signal to my Samsung surrounds sound blue ray player with optical in.  After purchasing a 4K TV I wanted to get a 4K kodi box.

At first I got an Nvidia Shield but this did not have optical out and all 3 HDMI - SPDIF splitters I tried  failed to send 5.1 surround signal to Samsung only 2 channel.  My 'Smart' TV also refuses to pass through 5.1 signal via optical out.

Hi,

Not really sure this is what you are looking for !

I use Kodi ,Netflix and Prime on a Nvidia Shield  and initially was frustrated getting 5.1 output through optical digital connected to my Samsung Home Theatre (older model). DD+ from Netflix and 4K videos through Kodi were all problems - nothing much going to the Home theatre.

I've had success using this splitter - you can read the description to see if it matches your needs. There is a dip switch in the splitter to set up the splitter.

Lindy's HDMI 4K Audio Extractor De-Embedder

Cheers
(2019-10-22, 21:41)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 15:12)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 14:06)tigersky Wrote: hi ninja ,   can you please share you 5.1 optical out audio settings in coreelec kodi.  
Certainly;

i guess your avr has only optical in but no hdmi in. HD audio cannot pass through optical out but in hdmi. then why you enabled true hd on. also select hdmi alsa instead of pcm since beelink outputs audio both in hdmi and optical simultaneously even if you select hdmi out. our aim is to get high quality optical 5.1 out rather than the inferior transcoded 5.1 optical out like the android os does for dts audio since it can't be passed through in android os. dts pass through is possiblein linux. that's the beauty of coreelec and libreelec. 

Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for your suggestions.  I have disabled True HD and selected HDMI ALSA instead of ALSA: AML-M8AUDIO,PCM.  Not sure if I noticed difference by Dobly 5.1 and DTS videos still play form all 5 speakers.  Are they playing better quality now? DOlby ATMOS test videos play now sound but that is to be expected as my Samsung home theatre does not support it.
(2019-10-23, 21:22)elviseats Wrote:
(2019-10-11, 18:17)ninjagull99 Wrote: Hi

I am need of advice.  I used to run openelec and Kodi on Asus passive motherboard.  This was HD video only but had optical SPDIF output that sent 5.1 surround signal to my Samsung surrounds sound blue ray player with optical in.  After purchasing a 4K TV I wanted to get a 4K kodi box.

At first I got an Nvidia Shield but this did not have optical out and all 3 HDMI - SPDIF splitters I tried  failed to send 5.1 surround signal to Samsung only 2 channel.  My 'Smart' TV also refuses to pass through 5.1 signal via optical out.

Hi,

Not really sure this is what you are looking for !

I use Kodi ,Netflix and Prime on a Nvidia Shield  and initially was frustrated getting 5.1 output through optical digital connected to my Samsung Home Theatre (older model). DD+ from Netflix and 4K videos through Kodi were all problems - nothing much going to the Home theatre.

I've had success using this splitter - you can read the description to see if it matches your needs. There is a dip switch in the splitter to set up the splitter.

Lindy's HDMI 4K Audio Extractor De-Embedder

Cheers 

Dear Elviseats

Many thanks for your suggestion.  In fact that Lindy model was the 3rd HDMI/Optical splitter that I tried with my shield with no luck.  I had previously tried two other cheaper models.  I even contacted Lindy support but they could not help either. All my 5.1 test videos only sent to 3 front speakers with no rear surround or LFE speakers working.  Looking back it may be that I may have had Kodi configured incorrectly.  I like the idea of getting Netflix and Prime giving 5.1 as I have both but just use them on my TV which also refuses to pass 5.1 to my Samsung home theatre.  If you would be happy to share your Kodi and shield audio settings along with the DIP switch settings on the Lindy splitter, I can purchase it again and see what happens.

Best wishes
(2019-10-24, 11:08)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 21:41)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 15:12)ninjagull99 Wrote: Certainly;

Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for your suggestions.  I have disabled True HD and selected HDMI ALSA instead of ALSA: AML-M8AUDIO,PCM.  Not sure if I noticed difference by Dobly 5.1 and DTS videos still play form all 5 speakers.  Are they playing better quality now? DOlby ATMOS test videos play now sound but that is to be expected as my Samsung home theatre does not support it. 
dear ninja, for HD audios unsupported avrs, kodi will output the core audios to get 5.1 optical out. getting 5.1 out alone is not sufficient . we should try to get maximum bitrate audios to enjoy true surround sound effects .
(2019-10-14, 17:32)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 06:57)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-11, 20:29)fritsch Wrote: Set PCM Settings to Stereo 2.0
Enable AC3 capable receiver
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Try this combination. Your TV should get Dolby for multi channel and should pass that.

Yes transcoding is really is the only option for Android Kodi legacy 5.1 audio Optical support.

As another note the Android TV (OS) has the worst Dolby Audio OS support vs FireTV and Apple TV’s.
Even devices like the Mi Box that supposedly have a Dolby Audio licence cannot for example downmix 5.1 DD+ > 5.1 DD and then send output over Optical.

Use Kodi instead.  
Many thanks for taking the time to post replies to me.  I sent the A95X F2 Android 9.0 TV BOX back and unable to test.  I still have my Nvidia shield, if I use the settings above is Mr Fritsch saying that My TV will pass the 5.1 surround sound signal to my Samsung surround sound system.  I read the thread on what box to get as a beginner especially for audio but there seems to be no mention of 5.1 over optical, only HDMI.  
Just wondered if anyone has got an Android box and getting 5.1 surround output from optical output?  Many thanks 

Mi S box with android 9 pie beta release 3 will get you 5.1 over optical. I've tried with Netflix and Amazon prime apps. But when play Netflix add-on in Kodi 18.5, Optical 5.1 sound doesn't work.  I played with it for 2 days and have not figured out.
Enable AC3 capable receiver
Enable AC3 Transcoding

Try this combination. Your TV should get Dolby for multi channel and should pass that.
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for posting this fix. I had the same problem and I've spent ***king days trying to sort it out!
I had tried every conceivable combination of settings to no avail, the ONLY thing I didn't try was setting the output to stereo, it's not just the last thing I'd try, it's something I would NEVER have tried! It's so illogical and counter-intuitive telling the software you have fewer speakers when you're actually trying to get it to work with more!

This whole fiasco has inspired me to hate the people at Dolby and wish bad things upon them. It's 2021 ffs, we should be able to get six simple channels of audio without all the nonsense of encoding multiple channels on top of each other, then calling it the opposite to what it actually is. They were putting four chammels of quadraphonic audio on a vinyl record in the late 1950s & early 1960s and assuming you could afford the equipment, all you had to do was plug it in and it worked straight out of the box. You didn't need to hide two of the speakers to make it work!
(2021-06-19, 17:07)kevwag Wrote:

Hello All!
I have scrolled this forum but am none the wiser!
I have a Bee-link GS-King X running Coreelec with a spdif cable to my Audiolab amplifier.
The volume is only a 10th of what it should be - compared to my previous Vero4k OSMC box.
Volume is at full ball on the amp but only just audible.
Help please!
Where are the PCM settings?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 surround output via optical output1