• 4(current)
XBMP has better video quality than XBMC?
(gamester17 @ aug. 23 2004,14:32 Wrote:though i have not yet tested butcher's new code, does that affect/fix the quality of mplayer's post-processing filters in xbmc?
i've tested some videos and the post-processing filters still work as before Sad

with the new butcher's code i've noticed a slight improvement.
@devs/users; fyi, i have for reference/tracking purposes now logged the post-processing filters issue/bug on sourceforge.net here (link)
(need :help: from users detailing this issue and more important need help from any developers voleentering to troubleshoot and fix it)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
so, i tested the new video code by butcher with cvs-2004-09-03. for me it looks much worse than in previous versions. and maybe it's the worst look of videos i saw in xbmc Confused
can anyone confirm this or is this maybe a problem with my system?
you simpy must do better than that my friend..

provide screenshots?!
is the same decoder being used?!
postprocessing on or off?!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

@pike look at my previous posts (copy&paste)

(packleds @ april 16 2004,17:36 Wrote:postprocessing was disabled all the time. brightness, contrast gamma at standard 50/50/20
tested the video again with following settings:

pal/ntsc video mode
pal/pal60 video mode

-> same results

update:

made a screenshot with xbmc cvs 04/16/2004
http://packleds.host.sk/colorscreen.jpg

i let all settings at standard. postprocessing off and ffmpeg decoder since beginning.

btw. i made a little video quality comparison page with some screenshots where you see the old but still actual problem with much artefacts. but now with the new version of xbmc especially the colors look worse. and in motion it seems that the video is more blocky, with more artefacts.

link for comparison:

http://packleds.host.sk/xbmc_video_qual/index.html

attention! 3.5mb to view the screenshots
the color difference (newer version looks a bit more green overall) can be adjusted easy enough using the gamma/colour/brightness stuff.

i don't notice any difference as far as blockiness/less detail or anything with those comparisons. it's hard, ofcourse, to make a complete judgement as none of the frames are identical in your screenshots.

perhaps you could post the original frames as well.

in fact, if you could post original frames (as viewed on your pc) with the latest version that would be great.

with mplayer for windows with the same pp settings etc. of course.

the image size is likely to be different as it is rescaled due to the pixel ratio of the tv, but we should get a general idea of what the quality is like.

thanks,
jonathan

the new video is closer to the good old xbmp, and is subjectively better as the color looks richer. a good analogy is the color difference between an ag crt and a sm crt.

you may want to test more recent divx/xvid created by "professional" to rule out the possibility of a source related problem.

"blockiness" has always been a problem in frames that have large area of uniform color like the sky. i suspect it's a coder issue rather than a decoder issue.
@sunfish

like jmarshall said 'newer version looks a bit more green overall' and this doesn't look natural like the original video source.
the website with comparison is up-to-date now. the last two pictures show the difference between cvs-2004-09-03 and original video source.
i made the screenshots with virtualdub, without overlay. in mplayer for windows and all other media players the video is much less blocky like in old xbmp. maybe, this is how the video look in xbmp.

for now, the blockiness is ok for me in cvs-2004-07-16 but the color/contrast/brightness in cvs-2004-09-03 is awful.

btw, with ervery new version of xbmc i watch the test video with xbmp and with xbmc, so i can compare the results on the fly and the old xbmp has still the best video quality.
>the old xbmp has still the best video quality
that's for sure.

btw, i upscale all video to 1080i on a 65" sony rptv
thanks for the screenshots. a few points to note:

1. the screen shot from virtualdub and xbmc are not of the same frame, so it's still not a 100% difference.

2. the only apparent difference (other than the fact that the image has been scaled due to the tv size) is the colour controls which are configurable in xbmc. note that tvs use a different colour controls than monitors, so the actual difference may be more or less on the actual tv screen.

3. a better test screenshot can be obtained from xbmc by forcing it to not scale. if you are using an avi file, then do the following:

1. set the pixel ratio in screen calibration to 1.000. this will cause no ar changing to compensate for the tvs non-square pixels (it'll look wrong on the tv, but right in the screenshot)

2. use "original size" mode when viewing the video which will cause the height to be maintained.

then take a screen shot. the size of the output and the size of virtualdubs shot should be the same.

please do this then you'll be able to find the exact frame.

also, see if you can compare the image that you are seeing on your computer with that you are seeing on your tv for any obvious differences. once you have the screenshots on the computer, there may be a way to calculate the brightness/gamma/colour correction needed to make them identical. we can then put better defaults into xbmc to make the colour correct.

3. obviously, the best picture from xbmc will come if you allow xbmc to upsample the video and not your tv (if you have an hdtv). the video card in the xbox is far more powerful than the upsampler in your tv.

let us know how you get on. this is an important area, and i thank you for taking the time to research this.

cheers,
jonathan

Exclamation 
@devs, about default color problem in xbmc, know that mplayer have updated their color schemes in very latest cvs (after 1.0pre5).

defining mplayers rgb color formats (read all posts/replies on this mailing-list subject thread):
http://mplayerhq.hu/piperma....l#28106

the yuv standard (please also read all posts/replies on this mailing-list subject thread too):
http://mplayerhq.hu/piperma....l#28338

postproc/yuv2rgb_altivec.c compile fix (read all posts/replies on this mailing-list subject threads, both for aug and sep month):
http://mplayerhq.hu/piperma....l#28814
http://mplayerhq.hu/piperma....l#28837

ps! i believe rv9 (realvideo 9) is a better sample format than xvid/divx for checking and comparing colours in video Wink
update:

i made a short test video with mpeg2 and highest possible bitrate, so i hope there is no loss of quality.

in the video are some standard test pictures now, maybe interesting for you to compare. finally it looks like to much saturation and still the green overall in grey areas.

i hope, this will help a little bit. btw the new url is:
http://packleds.host.sk/xbmc_video_qual/index_new.html
attention: 2.9mb to download
it is my understanding that when we simply enable postprocessing the following switches are enabled for mplayer:

-autoq 100 -vop pp

i want anyone who think mplayer by just enabling it (not touching any other filters) decreases image quality to report the following:

* build date
* mplayer version (settings / version info)
* type of clip played (mpeg 1 or 2, avi (divx/xvid) , or any other

if you think enabled pp decreases quality, also try mplayer for windows with the above switches on the commandline and compare quality there.

lets try and get to the bottom of this issue once and for all

Quote:@devs, about default color problem in xbmc, know that mplayer have updated their color schemes in very latest cvs (after 1.0pre5)

i include these updates to mplayer xbmc. if you want to test <a href="http://www.telefonica.net/web2/ezarzone/mplayer.rar
" target="_blank">here is the link (mplayer cvs 2004-09-24)</a>
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
need input from users if this is ever gonna be resolved.
come on, dont be shy!

• 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMP has better video quality than XBMC?0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.