Getting started with addon development for an absolute beginner.
Greetings.
Before anything, I am currently reading the docs and I started this thread because most of the docs aren't understandable for me (firstly, because I'm not a native English speaker and secondly, because I don't usually code in python.)
Now, I decided to make a plugin for a video sharing website (which is very similar to YouTube and has its own API), but I got more confused as I digged deeper in the documents. 
I'm thankful for your replies.
(2019-10-12, 11:27)haghiri75 Wrote: Greetings.
Before anything, I am currently reading the docs and I started this thread because most of the docs aren't understandable for me (firstly, because I'm not a native English speaker and secondly, because I don't usually code in python.)
Now, I decided to make a plugin for a video sharing website (which is very similar to YouTube and has its own API), but I got more confused as I digged deeper in the documents. 
I'm thankful for your replies.
Start with the video tutorial and modify as much as you want Wink

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Video_addon
Been there myself as I'm working on the Amazon VOD addon so I'll give you a few tips, might be redundant if you're expert in python but I guess it won't hurt:
  • The docs on codedocs.xyz will help you a lot, way more than any wiki.
  • Speaking of docs, the ListItem reference will be most useful, time and time again.
  • Since you're relying on a streaming platform you won't need to do anything particular yourself, you can get away with fetching the data and posting an item with the URL of the video. InputStream.Adaptive configuration might be needed, especially if the videos need DRM.
  • You can get a lot done with the requests module, depending on the data you're processing. It's fully supported in Kodi, cookie and sessions included.
In short, it's really simple, you:
  1. get the information you need off the internet (title/URL could suffice for a start);
  2. you generate items that Kodi will treat as video sources (see xbmcplugin.addDirectoryItem() and xbmcgui.ListItem());
  3. profit
You could also read the sources of plugins such as AsciiDisco's Netflix or Sandmann79's Amazon/AmazonVOD addons.

If you have some questions ask away, I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting started with addon development for an absolute beginner.0