Kodi and Itunes library on Nas
Hallo

I use the iTunes program on my Macbook for quite a while. My iTunes library is located on a NAS. I used to play it through my Macbook.
But a few months ago I installed a RaspBerry Pie with Kodi, connected to my hifi-amp. Well, actually, my brother installed it. :-)

I know I can add my iTunes library to Kodi and play it from there: http://www.trevorayers.com/how-to-play-i...y-in-kodi/
Right?

But has anyone experience with this? Can I still use my iTunes program on my Macbook as well? And does Kodi keep up with the info I input in iTunes (genre, artwork, ...)?

Thanks for any answers.
Sounds like you want Kodi and your MacBook to point to your music on your NAS. As a former MacBook owner, I believe this is possible but it's a question better suited for a Mac forum. My suggestion, and my current setup, is to have your music on both your MacBook(Laptop) and on your NAS. You can then rsync changes to the music from the MacBook to the NAS so they mirror each other. Benefit to this is Kodi plays music from the NAS, your music is backed up in case of data loss, and iTunes on your MacBook doesn't freak out because it "can't find" the music on the NAS.
To some extent this depends on the NAS. If this is an Apple share from the NAS, Kodi may not see it. But if it's also a ntp share or SMB share, you should just be able to navigate to it and Kodi will find the content.

A file is a file!
(2019-10-15, 21:59)snoopyjoe Wrote: Sounds like you want Kodi and your MacBook to point to your music on your NAS. As a former MacBook owner, I believe this is possible but it's a question better suited for a Mac forum. My suggestion, and my current setup, is to have your music on both your MacBook(Laptop) and on your NAS. You can then rsync changes to the music from the MacBook to the NAS so they mirror each other. Benefit to this is Kodi plays music from the NAS, your music is backed up in case of data loss, and iTunes on your MacBook doesn't freak out because it "can't find" the music on the NAS.

Hey Snoopyjoe. That's well formulated: I want Kodi and my Macbook to point to the same music folder on my NAS.
Unfortunately I have about 200GB of music, so I can't keep them on my local hard drive. It takes too much space...
That was the reason I moved them to a NAS. :-)
(2019-10-16, 12:51)koen.vanmeerbeek Wrote:
(2019-10-15, 21:59)snoopyjoe Wrote: Sounds like you want Kodi and your MacBook to point to your music on your NAS. As a former MacBook owner, I believe this is possible but it's a question better suited for a Mac forum. My suggestion, and my current setup, is to have your music on both your MacBook(Laptop) and on your NAS. You can then rsync changes to the music from the MacBook to the NAS so they mirror each other. Benefit to this is Kodi plays music from the NAS, your music is backed up in case of data loss, and iTunes on your MacBook doesn't freak out because it "can't find" the music on the NAS.

Hey Snoopyjoe. That's well formulated: I want Kodi and my Macbook to point to the same music folder on my NAS.
Unfortunately I have about 200GB of music, so I can't keep them on my local hard drive. It takes too much space...
That was the reason I moved them to a NAS. :-) 

But thanks for your answer! :-)
(2019-10-15, 22:56)mcelliott Wrote: To some extent this depends on the NAS. If this is an Apple share from the NAS, Kodi may not see it. But if it's also a ntp share or SMB share, you should just be able to navigate to it and Kodi will find the content.

A file is a file!

Hey mcelliot. Thanks for your answer.

It's not an Apple share. It's a Synology. My movies are located on a different share, but on the same NAS. Since Kodi can find those, I suppose it can find my music too. :-)

I just wondered if Kodi might add some files for some reason. Files that would interfere with the iTunes program?
(2019-10-16, 12:56)koen.vanmeerbeek Wrote: I just wondered if Kodi might add some files for some reason. Files that would interfere with the iTunes program? 
No, Kodi music library does not add files (or modify files in any way). However you will get much nicer results if your music files are accurately tagged, which is something you may not have done with iTunes.
(2019-10-16, 13:16)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2019-10-16, 12:56)koen.vanmeerbeek Wrote: I just wondered if Kodi might add some files for some reason. Files that would interfere with the iTunes program? 
No, Kodi music library does not add files (or modify files in any way). However you will get much nicer results if your music files are accurately tagged, which is something you may not have done with iTunes. 
Hey DaveBlake.
Thanks for the response. I checked an mp3 on my NAS that I've imported with iTunes. Seems like the tags are ok. I see: Title, Artist, Album, Track number, Length, Date, some iTunes tags I don't understand, Disc number, Genre, Total discs and total tracks.
Does Kodi read those tags and orders the music accordingly? For example: can I ask to given all the "Classical" music (by the tag genre)?
The simple answer is yes, the more complicated reply (which tags etc.) is in the wiki.

The music library scans the metadata embedded in the files and creates genres, artists, albums and songs library entries from that. Then you can navigate your music Genre>Artist>Album>Song, or Year>Album>Song etc. or make smart playlists based on rules e.g. Genre = Pop, Year > 1970, Year < 1980 etc.

You can also make it more pretty/informative by fetching additional artist and album info and art from online sites.

Simply try adding a music source and scanning the music in, it can not do any harm to your media files or create unwanted files anywhere.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and Itunes library on Nas0