• 3(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2019-10-19, 23:31)Sjors125 Wrote:
(2019-10-19, 21:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: The original shield was ahead of its time. I was one of those who preordered the first one in 2015, and I still have it running strong. I don’t like the upscaling job it does but I am really looking forward to the new one. For most US users, it’s the perfect box.

The thing is, it was always way overpriced (like Apple TV) when compared to other boxes that really did the same, like the Minix Neo X8-H Plus. Only if you wanted the gaming possibilities it had the edge over other mediaplayers. Other than that, I really didn't see any reason to buy the 2015 or 2017 one. Moreover the fact that Android TV was (and still is) missing a lot of apps + the recent continuing problems with SDR - HDR colorspace switching; and it just wasn't the box for me. But, having the big name of a wellknown brand it also was the most obvious choice for a lot of people. Chosing between a unknown China of HK brand, or Nvidia was an easy choice for most, I guess. I always found that it was one of the most interesting options, but in a world where Minix, WeTek, Xiaomi, Vero, and others, made great boxes too, the competition was strong and sometimes just better than the Shield.

Quite honestly, I don’t know what minix has over the shield because you seem to really rate it higher... my thoughts as a US user are based on easy availability (you can get the shield at the local Best Buy) .. yes gaming.. and also ultrahd Netflix.

I would consider Minix boxes but I really don’t know if they offer official Netflix support for hdr.
Also, you can always sideload apps on the shield.
Agree, even the original Shield would blow away the upcoming Minix in performance, not to mention true Android TV experience + 4K Netflix/Prime.
@ozkhan1 As I used it primarily for Kodi (and secondly for Dutch tv apps and for Netflix) and not for gaming; the Minix did everything I wanted to do for less money, with great perfomance, and not having the lack of apps from Android TV. I really wanted to buy a Shield at first, but all major TV broadcaster's apps from The Netherlands were not supported, except for one, so that really was a no go. Years after that, I bought a 4k OLED tv and Nvidia couldn't fix the color space issue, so that was a no go too.

@hdmkv Do you really think a 2015 Shield would outperform the AMLogic S922-XJ from the new Minix?

To be clear, I do not intend to start a "this one is far better and I bash that one"-discussion. I just did not understand why everyone was in cloud 9 with the Shield, as it was great, but not perfect. (Which none of the mediaplayers are, by the way)

As for now, I guess my money goes to eighter one of these:

Odroid N2,
Shield 2019,
the Minix U22-XJ

...as those 3 seem to be the best buys at the moment for Kodi + 4k HDR.
As I already have a great Netflix app on my 4k tv, and my bedroom tv is only SDR 1080p, I do not really need 4k Netflix on my device, so that is not a dealbreaker at the moment.
(2019-10-20, 03:13)Sjors125 Wrote: @ozkhan1 As I used it primarily for Kodi (and secondly for Dutch tv apps and for Netflix) and not for gaming; the Minix did everything I wanted to do for less money, with great perfomance, and not having the lack of apps from Android TV. I really wanted to buy a Shield at first, but all major TV broadcaster's apps from The Netherlands were not supported, except for one, so that really was a no go. Years after that, I bought a 4k OLED tv and Nvidia couldn't fix the color space issue, so that was a no go too.

@hdmkv Do you really think a 2015 Shield would outperform the AMLogic S922-XJ from the new Minix?

To be clear, I do not intend to start a "this one is far better and I bash that one"-discussion. I just did not understand why everyone was in cloud 9 with the Shield, as it was great, but not perfect. (Which none of the mediaplayers are, by the way)

As for now, I guess my money goes to eighter one of these:

Odroid N2,
Shield 2019,
the Minix U22-XJ

As I already have a great Netflix app on my 4k tv, and my bedroom tv is only SDR 1080p, I do not really need 4k Netflix on my device, so that is not a dealbreaker at the moment.

Well that makes sense now since you have different requirements being in Netherland.
In the US, most of us wanted something thst did Kodi with hd audio, and ultrahd Netflix. You can always sideload other android apps with the shield. Other boxes do t offer the official Netflix experience. For me personally it was worth paying approx $200 bucks for just one box simply for the WAF, even though the upscaling looked bad on our 4k tv.

I would not mind spending that much money again if the new Shield TV offers better upscaling..
(2019-10-20, 02:36)hdmkv Wrote: Agree, even the original Shield would blow away the upcoming Minix in performance, not to mention true Android TV experience + 4K Netflix/Prime.

Minix devices are not true android tv? So you need like a air mouse with them?
(2019-10-20, 03:13)Sjors125 Wrote: As for now, I guess my money goes to eighter one of these:

Odroid N2,
Shield 2019,
the Minix U22-XJ

4K HDR Kodi + HD audio inc. 192kHz FLAC, no contest ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition will be the go to device.
Add a MINIX A2 lite remote. Job done. All sorts of OS releases available for it if you are into DIY.

4K HDR Kodi + HD audio + 4K HDR DRM copy protected Android streaming Apps and Android TV Pie = Nvidia Shield.
Android Firmware however can often be a problem, especially Google OS upgrades and seemingly ongoing colourspace issues.
Good thing Nvidia have the proven, best ongoing Android Firmware support

$190 - MINIX U22-XJ = an unknown. It’s really an Android tablet/touchscreen Android Pie device and targeting a completely different market vs the Shield with Android TV. Kodi HD audio support is an unknown or even if DRM is included.
Looks overpriced vs the very similar, high quality, cheaper S922X - $120 UGOOS AM6 that also gets good Firmware support with great Android server networking extras.

MINIX have been extremely poor with Google Android OS upgrades. - and that is a dealbreaker for a lot of users buying expensive Android hardware !
Ive criticised them in the past and will do so again unless something changes, especially in that price segment.

MINIX U22-XJ & UGOOS AM6 will both be able to run CE kodi.

The AML S922X chipset devices have a more powerful CPU package vs the Tegra X1 in the current Shield.

Shield has a more powerful GPU package - but it has been lacking in modern HDR Tech that should be addressed in 2019 Shield update.
We really do not know about 4K HDR YouTube yet on the 2019 Shield.

I agree with the sentiment of many. Being a US user as well. All of these other boxes are great but they all seem to lack something. Whether it's Netflix or gigabit internet. Shield has been the one to do it all. Mine is paired with a Roku tv so I am covered.

I also have an Odroid n2 that is currently mounted behind the TV in my bedroom. Which is also a Roku tv so it does purely Kodi duty.

Looking forward to testing this new shield out.

I owned 3 Minix boxes: X8-h, U1 and U9. I finally ditched the U9 for the Shield for a year now.
I can say that it is by far the best Android Box I had for my needs. I mainly use it for Kodi via an external HDD.
For Netflix I use my TVs app, which offers DV.
In the years I had the Minix boxes, I don't remember to have received any new Android upgrades. What finally put me off was that they did not even offer Android Security patches and the support started going downhill.
(2019-10-20, 04:04)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-20, 03:13)Sjors125 Wrote: As for now, I guess my money goes to eighter one of these:

Odroid N2,
Shield 2019,
the Minix U22-XJ

4K HDR Kodi + HD audio inc. 192kHz FLAC, no contest ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition will be the go to device.
Add a MINIX A2 lite remote. Job done. All sorts of OS releases available for it if you are into DIY.

4K HDR Kodi + HD audio + 4K HDR DRM copy protected Android streaming Apps and Android TV Pie = Nvidia Shield.
Android Firmware however can often be a problem, especially Google OS upgrades and seemingly ongoing colourspace issues.
Good thing Nvidia have the proven, best ongoing Android Firmware support

$190 - MINIX U22-XJ = an unknown. It’s really an Android tablet/touchscreen Android Pie device and targeting a completely different market vs the Shield with Android TV. Kodi HD audio support is an unknown or even if DRM is included.
Looks overpriced vs the very similar, high quality, cheaper S922X - $120 UGOOS AM6 that also gets good Firmware support with great Android server networking extras.

MINIX have been extremely poor with Google Android OS upgrades. - and that is a dealbreaker for a lot of users buying expensive Android hardware !
Ive criticised them in the past and will do so again unless something changes, especially in that price segment.

MINIX U22-XJ & UGOOS AM6 will both be able to run CE kodi.

The AML S922X chipset devices have a more powerful CPU package vs the Tegra X1 in the current Shield.

Shield has a more powerful GPU package - but it has been lacking in modern HDR Tech that should be addressed in 2019 Shield update.
We really do not know about 4K HDR YouTube yet on the 2019 Shield.

Thanks for this comparison W!
This isn't the upgrade I was hoping or expecting, but so long as the YouTube HDR (VP9 Profile 2) situation is resolved, I'm sold day one. Dolby Vision support was the only other point that had me holding off on buying another one... that, and the fact that the original Shield TV was released in 2015, a new model was due.
It is surprising HDR is not already being supported w/YT given Shield is running Google's own official Android TV OS. And surprisingly Fire TV Stick 4K, which was at odds w/Google until recently, has supported HDR w/YT since the onset (w/sideloaded Smart YouTube TV app, and now official YT app).
(2019-10-21, 22:08)hdmkv Wrote: It is surprising HDR is not already being supported w/YT given Shield is running Google's own official Android TV OS. And surprisingly Fire TV Stick 4K, which was at odds w/Google until recently, has supported HDR w/YT since the onset (w/sideloaded Smart YouTube TV app, and now official YT app).

My understanding is that it is a codec issue, Shield doesn't support VP9 2. Hopefully that was solved, but in the info posted on amazon there was no mention of it.
A couple guys over at AVSforum have purchased new Shields from local Best Buys, so far no Youtube HDR out of the box, there is a new settings menu for AI scaling, with a demo mode to apparently show 
off the AI scaling.
Quote:Netflix does play DV and Atmos. Smile
Vudu and MoviesAnywhere do as well. Smile
edit: Amazon plays DV and Atmos! Smile (tested with Jack Ryan)
https://old.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV...t/f51g34s/
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1