Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2019-11-05, 14:10)wrxtasy Wrote: I've seen this consistently & constantly mention from multiple sources as well re: Sony DV - especially when used with DV streaming from an Apple TV 4K ...
Quote:..With Dolby Vision content it was more obvious that the Sony wasn’t quite as dynamic as the Panasonic, retaining its slightly darker image tone...
Sony AG9/A9G (KD-55AG9) OLED TV Review - avsforums 

Doesn't that demonstrate it's NOT the DV-metadata delivery route (player-led vs TV-led) that's the issue then?  It's the DV implementation on the display ?  If both the Panasonic and Sony are being fed metadata via the same route - it's not the metadata route causing the visual differences?

Having said that - it looks like the comparisons may have been made in that review using the internal player apps?  If that's the case then there is no HDMI route to have an issue with - as the DV data will neither be tunnelled nor carried over HDMI - it will just be decoded in the HEVC+DV decoding hardware/software in the display? So TV-led vs Player-led HDMI metadata implementations are moot?

Isn't the difference what the Sony and Panasonic displays DO with the metadata in terms of using the dynamic metadata to optimise the source video for their displays. (Though I thought Dolby were quite protective of that processing?)

I'm still not seeing where the TV-led vs Player-led metadata transport is cited as an issue?

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model) - by noggin - 2019-11-05, 14:29
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1