Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2020-05-21, 07:57)olevelo Wrote: Is anyone able to use the AI upscaling on 480p content in Kodi?  It works fine in Youtube or other apps, but none of my DVD rips in Kodi will use the AI upscaler, it says content not supported.  I confirmed in MediaInfo these are Progressive and not Interlaced.

And on that last note, is there any way to get it to work with interlaced content?  I'm assuming I'd have to transcode everything?  I have my DVD rips of 80's GI Joe and Transformers cartoons that I would love to see upscaled (I tried it on Hasbro's live stream of GI Joe going on right now and it looked great), but the DVD's are all 480i.

The AI upscaler only works on 24-30fps content.  All interlaced SD content on DVB/ATSC/DVD will deinterlace as standard to 50 or 59.94fps (even if the source material in the interlaced video is natively 23.9676/25/29.97 progressive) As the deinterlacing and AI upscaling are both within the nVidia Shield / Android TV domain rather than Kodi I'm not sure this can be worked around without a re-encode to a native progressive encode (deinterlacing as required)?  

Even if DVDs are flagged as having progressive frames within the MPEG 2 video - I think they are often still treated as interlaced MPEG2 video - though I may be wrong.  

**EDIT UPDATE - The only way round I can think is to decode 23.976, 25 and 29.97 native progressive content to 23.976, 25 and 29.97p and re-encode to h.264. That will mean they get played at a frame rate that the nVidia Shield will AI upscale **

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model) - by noggin - 2020-05-21, 11:26
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1