Req "Sort title" for movie set names
Currently, we can set a separate title and "sort title" for movies and TV shows. The example on the wiki relates to sorting e.g. the Hobbit films as "Hobbit 1", ”Hobbit 2", etc., but I’ve also found this useful for sorting Japanese movie titles. My only problem is that I can’t sort movie sets along with movies. 

In Japanese, there is a mostly well defined and fairly widely used phonetic sort order (the gojūonjun, 五十音順).  This is somewhat supported in Unicode.  The hiragana syllabary sorts in this order, and the katakana syllabary sorts in this order (with the possible exception of ヴ/ゔ).  But all katakana sort after all hiragana, and the kanji (Chinese characters) sort after both in no appreciable order whatsoever (the Chinese numbers don’t even sort sequentially). 

So the only way to deal with this in Japanese software is to ask the user for the reading in either hiragana or katakana.  And then everything is sorted phonetically according to that input. 

As an example of proper sorting by gojūon order:
  1. 蜘蛛巣城 (Kumo no su jō)
  2. 攻殻機動隊 シリーズ (Koukaku kidoutai series) <— the problem
  3. この世界の片隅に (Kono sekai no katasumi ni)

Currently this is all possible (and maybe partially automatable if we had a Japanese parser plug-in?), except for the movie sets. Movie sets can’t be sorted manually.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Sort title" for movie set names0