How can i add a new genre ?
Hello 
i started using Kodi a couple of weeks ago, i am trying to create a new genre for 'christmas' movies. 
how can i do that ? 
i am using the default theme on a windows machine and i have like 900 movie.
Genre's come from information that is scraped online or from the NFO Files. A new genre needs to be attached to the movie/tv show when it is scanned/scraped into the library.

There are a couple of ways to add new Genres:

1. Export your library to NFO files, then add the new genre tag to each nfo file then Refresh back into the library. See my signature below for Export wiki page. Tedious if you have a lot of movies to add

2. Use the Web Browser and edit the information. Web_interface (wiki)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks so much for the help, i used the second method as the first one was too complicated for me. 
is there a way i can edit multiple movies at the same time ? let's say i want to add a genre for 50 movies i just select them and add the genre for all the 50 movies. is this possible? 
Thanks again Smile
(2019-10-20, 09:55)trevor.waterlot Wrote: is there a way i can edit multiple movies at the same time ?
There is no real easy way to do this for Genre's (or Directors, Actors, Ratings, Tags and Countries). You could direct edit the database (which we do not recommend), but because Genres can have multiple values, they are broken out into related tables which makes updating a lot more difficult, especially if you are not familiar with SQL. It would be easier to use one of the previous mentioned methods
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
is there a way i can edit multiple movies at the same time
you would need to export movies  move all mobies to be changed in to a folder notepad++ replace in file 
move back to folder then inport using local information
Depending on what you are doing, maybe it would make more sense to use Tags to tag Christmas movies instead of using genre? 

Tagging movies can be done right in the Kodi interface.  You can either go to Movies > Tags and pick the movies you want to tag from a list, or you can install one of the tag add-ons that let you do it right from the main movies area.  The simplest way to install one of the addons is through the main addon repository, under Context menus (it's a little out of date but should still work; the other addons have to be installed from zip files and I don't know if you want to do that).
Maintaining a few add-ons for v18 including PseudoTV (Classic), Tag Overview, and Autosub: https://github.com/fnord12
The easiest way that I split out my Christmas movies was with a smartplaylist.  All the movies are in a path on one of my NAS's smb://HS-DHGL925/share/xmas/ and then I just used

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>xmas</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>smb://HS-DHGL925/share/xmas/</value>
    </rule>
    <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</smartplaylist>

No messing about with genres or anything.  Easy to drop new films into that path so they only display in the 'xmas' playlist. 

Create a folder for your xmas stuff and put all your xmas films in it.  Then add it as a source to Kodi (might want to clean library first to remove any xmas films already scanned in from the original path) and scan it to your library as normal.  Then create the smartplaylist (either by hand in a text editor or with Kodi's built in smartplaylist editor) and all your xmas films should magically appear in the list.

It's not what you asked for but it's an easy way to split up media whilst still having it all available in the main library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can i add a new genre ?0