20 Nov 2019 - TVDB Scraper v3.2.0 is now available which reinstates scraping. TVDB are still in the process of fixing a number of bugs so there may still be further breakages. See this post. 2901570 (post)

Android Fire TV - Pixelation and MPEG artifacts from movement suddenly showing up
I'm running Kodi 18.4 on my Fire TV Gen 2 over Ethernet LAN, and starting a few days ago, I started seeing pixelation and MPEG artifacts primarily from movement, and it takes 5-10 seconds before the picture clears up again. I also see it in non-motion scenes when the image is largely made up of crossing diagonal lines, even when the objects making up the crosshatching are large.

I've been running Kodi on it for years now, and have never seen this before. I know it's not the source material or the network because the same sources play fine on my second Fire TV Gen 2 (which is running Kodi 16) and on my Windows box.  In terms of mere appearance, it looks like the result of insufficient processing power, but my guess is that a buffering issue is more likely.

I tried adding an advancedsettings.xml file to adjust buffering, but that didn't solve the problem. Here is that file's contents:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode> 1 </buffermode>
<readbufferfactor> 2 </readbufferfactor>
<cachemembuffersize> 124857600 </cachemembuffersize>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
What else can I try?  Thank you for your time!
(2019-10-21, 22:34)kamby19 Wrote: I'm running Kodi 18.4 on my Fire TV Gen 2 over Ethernet LAN, and starting a few days ago, I started seeing pixelation and MPEG artifacts primarily from movement, and it takes 5-10 seconds before the picture clears up again. I also see it in non-motion scenes when the image is largely made up of crossing diagonal lines, even when the objects making up the crosshatching are large.

I've been running Kodi on it for years now, and have never seen this before. I know it's not the source material or the network because the same sources play fine on my second Fire TV Gen 2 (which is running Kodi 16) and on my Windows box.  In terms of mere appearance, it looks like the result of insufficient processing power, but my guess is that a buffering issue is more likely.

I tried adding an advancedsettings.xml file to adjust buffering, but that didn't solve the problem. Here is that file's contents:
<network>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Well, since my second Fire TV Gen 2 was running Kodi 16.1 and was working fine, I decided too downgrade the main Fire TV to the same version and restore everything from a backup. Now it's working great. But I find it hard to believe that simply installing and running 16.1 is what made the difference. Rather, I think that some data got cleared or reset when I downgraded.

It wasn't clearing Kodi's cache, but something else. Any ideas?
(2019-10-21, 22:34)kamby19 Wrote: I'm running Kodi 18.4 on my Fire TV Gen 2 over Ethernet LAN, and starting a few days ago, I started seeing pixelation and MPEG artifacts primarily from movement, and it takes 5-10 seconds before the picture clears up again. I also see it in non-motion scenes when the image is largely made up of crossing diagonal lines, even when the objects making up the crosshatching are large.

<network>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Well, since my second Fire TV Gen 2 was running Kodi 16.1 and was working fine, I decided to downgrade the main Fire TV to the same version and restore everything from a backup. Now it's working great. But I find it hard to believe that simply installing and running 16.1 is what made the difference. Rather, I think that some data got cleared or reset when I downgraded.

It wasn't clearing Kodi's cache, but something else. Any ideas?
Well, I tried going back to 18.4, but the nasty video pixelation and artifacts returned!  Then I returned to 16.1 and the problems were gone, so it does appear to be a problem with Kodi 18.4 after all.

Should I report this? If so, where?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV - Pixelation and MPEG artifacts from movement suddenly showing up00