Solved Can't stream over SMB after updating to macOS Catalina
(2019-10-27, 00:00)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi,

Here is my environment:
  • Kodi 18.4 Git:20190831-3ade758ceb. Platform: Android ARM 64-bit
  • NVidia Shield TV with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 4.9.140-tegra-g68283f0ff762.
  • Macbook air running macOs Catalina 10.15
  • Everything connected to the same network router
    • Shield and NAS with Gigabit cable
    • Macbook air connect with A/C wireless
    Problem description:
    I have always been able to stream videos from a MacBook Air connected to the same network. After updating the Mac to macOs Catalina I am not able to stream the videos anymore. I can navigate through the share from the Kodi/Videos interface but when I choose a video it stops before even opening the video. There is no error message on the screen.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create the share using File Sharing on macOs Catalina 10.15. Make sure the SMB and guess options are enabled.
  2. Add your movies to the smb share.
  3. Create a new video source in Kodi pointing to the SMB share you've created on step#1
  4. Try to play a movie from the new video source created on step#3
    Here is the log information:

https://paste.kodi.tv/otedufalok.kodi 

Please let me know what I should do in order to fix the problem

Thanks
Gilson 
Same question here.  Same behavior, same errors.
In three machines: 1-Smart TV Sony, android 8.  2-Mac OS 10.14 Mojave; 3- Win 10 19.03 release, all as Kodi Clients, and a Catalina MacPro as samba server.
In these machines Kodi 17.6 is ok with Catalina, Kodi 18.4 and 18.5 doesn't work. Kodi can browse but more slowly and cannot start the movie. No problems with Kodi 17.6  in this scenario. 
Package signingpacket signing off dont help.
In Services configurations on Kodi choose smb2 or 3 does not matter.
I guess is a new feature of Kodi 18 not accepted by security restrictions of Catalina.
Question is NOT SOLVED.
Any help please.
(2019-12-13, 13:10)zemago Wrote:
(2019-10-27, 00:00)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi,

Here is my environment:
  • Kodi 18.4 Git:20190831-3ade758ceb. Platform: Android ARM 64-bit
  • NVidia Shield TV with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 4.9.140-tegra-g68283f0ff762.
  • Macbook air running macOs Catalina 10.15
  • Everything connected to the same network router
    • Shield and NAS with Gigabit cable
    • Macbook air connect with A/C wireless
    Problem description:
    I have always been able to stream videos from a MacBook Air connected to the same network. After updating the Mac to macOs Catalina I am not able to stream the videos anymore. I can navigate through the share from the Kodi/Videos interface but when I choose a video it stops before even opening the video. There is no error message on the screen.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create the share using File Sharing on macOs Catalina 10.15. Make sure the SMB and guess options are enabled.
  2. Add your movies to the smb share.
  3. Create a new video source in Kodi pointing to the SMB share you've created on step#1
  4. Try to play a movie from the new video source created on step#3
    Here is the log information:

https://paste.kodi.tv/otedufalok.kodi 

Please let me know what I should do in order to fix the problem

Thanks
Gilson  
Same question here.  Same behavior, same errors.
In three machines: 1-Smart TV Sony, android 8.  2-Mac OS 10.14 Mojave; 3- Win 10 19.03 release, all as Kodi Clients, and a Catalina MacPro as samba server.
In these machines Kodi 17.6 is ok with Catalina, Kodi 18.4 and 18.5 doesn't work. Kodi can browse but more slowly and cannot start the movie. No problems with Kodi 17.6  in this scenario. 
Package signingpacket signing off dont help.
In Services configurations on Kodi choose smb2 or 3 does not matter.
I guess is a new feature of Kodi 18 not accepted by security restrictions of Catalina.
Question is NOT SOLVED.
Any help please. 
Sorry for the confusion
But just wanted to indicate that I am having the same problem. 
This issue is not fixed. 

I believe apple did something to their SMB implementation which breaks Kodi
Install the free NFS Manager software on the Mac and be done with it.
Then adding networked Shares is as simple as using Kodi’s Zeroconf browser.

(2019-12-14, 03:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Install the free NFS Manager software on the Mac and be done with it.
Then adding networked Shares is as simple as using Kodi’s Zeroconf browser.

“Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.” – Luke Skywalker ;-)

From the NFS Manager Site:

NFS Manager 4.75 is fully compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. However, Apple's support for NFS in this operating system is very immature at the moment and you have to expect a variety of different technical issues, including crashes of the system kernel. Depending on what NFS features you are planning to use, we strongly recommend to stay away from Catalina. The Notes page has additional information.

Also:
You can download the application NFS Manager at no charge. This allows you to evaluate the software to see if it suits your needs. During the test phase, only the following restrictions apply:
  • A demo mode panel will appear each time you launch the application.
  • A demo mode panel will appear each time you save changes in the NFS configuration.
  • There are no other functional restrictions.
If you like to use the software permanently, you'll have to place an order for the required number of usage licenses. For each license you will receive a so-called registration file containing a registration code which will allow you to switch the application from demo mode to normal operation.

I think most of the people in this thread  have a particular reasons for choosing the SMB protocol
I for one started with NFS but switch to SMB when apple dropped official support for it. Just to avoid these kind of problems (but are now running into others :-( )
Also I wanted one common file share protocol for all my platforms (android, windows, ios devices , rasberry pis ,....)
Kodi 17.6 works very well as client of streaming smb shares in Catalina. Any version of Kodi 18, cannot do this. Android 7 and 8, Mac OS, Linux, Win10 machines, all machines with 17.6 works  well with smb Catalina shares. The same machines with any version of Kodi 18 can browse folders but fails in paying movies. The player of Kodi 18  and 17.6 is the same or have the same configuration? 
Kodi 17.6 negociate with Catalina using smb2, I guess., but changing to smb2 in kodi 18 does nothing.
Net Bios off by default in Catalina is not problem for Kodi 17.6. For Kodi 18, I guess, this configuration is not the problem.
Packet signing off/on not solve the problem.
Guest access is selected and accepted for Kodi 17.6, so there are no reason for different behavior in Kodi 18.
smbd daemon as full access in both versions (17.6 and 18.5).
My guess the problem is a Kodi 18 player or a security question with this player.
Hi guys,
I try to connect KODI 18.5 on FireTV with Mac (OS Catalina).
I can access the share, but it takes a long time to display the files and subfolders. However, I am not able to play the files. This all worked in the past with Mojave and before.
Any help is appreciated!
Hi, I am having same issue. Any update?
(2019-12-23, 08:03)jensr Wrote: Hi guys,
I can access the share, but it takes a long time to display the files and subfolders. However, I am not able to play the files. This all worked in the past with Mojave and before.
Any help is appreciated!
I find out a strange way to connect Kodi 18.5 to smb Catalina shares.
In Kodi client---Settings---Services---SMB Client---adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.
After this in Kodi you must enter manually the video source in first box after "Add Video sources". Example: smb://macx.lan. You can get this info in "Sharing tab" of System Preferences of MacOS Catalina.
Also on MacOS Catalina---enable Guest in Users & Groups preferences tab.
This is crazy because apparently Apple  dropped SMB1 support on MacOS 10.15 Catalina !!!
This explain why 17.6 works with Catalina because the default protocol used by this version of Kodi is SMB1.
SMB1 is outdated I know, but works in this situation.

Kodi 18,5 on Sony smart TV with Android 8.
MacOS Catalina 15.2: MacPro machine
(2019-12-27, 00:54)zemago Wrote:
Any help is appreciated!
In Kodi client---Settings---Services---SMB Client---adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.
After this in Kodi you must enter manually the video source in first box after "Add Video sources". Example: smb://macx.lan. You can get this info in "Sharing tab" of System Preferences of MacOS Catalina.
This is crazy because apparently Apple  dropped SMB1 support on MacOS 10.15 Catalina !!!
This explain why 17.6 works with Catalina because the default protocol used by this version of Kodi is SMB1.

YOU ARE A LEGEND!!! THANK YOU!!

This fixed mine the only thing you forgot was to say you have to show ADVANCE settings in "Services" to show "SMB Client"
Since smbv3 has a huge perfermance advantage over smbv1, this thread should be marked NOT SOLVED to urge developers to fix it.
(2019-12-27, 14:59)tramchamploo Wrote: Since smbv3 has a huge perfermance advantage over smbv1, this thread should be marked NOT SOLVED to urge developers to fix it.
(2019-12-27, 14:59)tramchamploo Wrote: Since smbv3 has a huge perfermance advantage over smbv1, this thread should be marked NOT SOLVED to urge developers to fix it.
I agree but I had this problem for a long time and nothing was mentioned about fixing it. I’ll take what I can get and I’m just happy I can stream all my files again
Smile 
(2019-12-27, 00:54)zemago Wrote:
Any help is appreciated!

Great! Works now. Thanks zemago!
(2019-12-27, 00:54)zemago Wrote: In Kodi client---Settings---Services---SMB Client---adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.

Thank you, yes, this procedure is functional.
But just need NOT HAVE marked:
Use legacy security

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't stream over SMB after updating to macOS Catalina0