Newbie's First Kodi System
@black_eagle

I've found an application called Wireless File Manager that can be downloaded to the Amazon Fire TV Stick. It has a basic web browser interface but does the job.

I have stored the advancedsettings.xml file in the Kodi User Data folder, as required, so please do not waste your time getting me to this stage.

I'll see how I get on from here!
Just for future info you can use the built in File Manager for getting files onto devices like the Firestick. Similar principle to accessing media files, have a smb share for doing such things and add it as a source and then add the local destination as another source. See https://kodi.wiki/view/File_manager and refer to also to https://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol for special paths you can use when adding a source in File Manager for accessing various bits of Kodi file system.
(2019-11-10, 00:22)wyvernuk Wrote: It seems that I must place the advancedsettings.xml file in the User Data Folder. Is that all I need to do?

Not having an Amazon Fire TV stick, I'm a little unsure here, but in general yes, that is all you should need to do.

Specifically, Kodi will use local databases unless there is an advancedsettings.xml to tell it different.  If there is, it will connect to the networked database(s) and use those (with network paths inside) instead.

(2019-11-10, 02:14)wyvernuk Wrote: please do not waste your time getting me to this stage.

Non of it is a waste of time, however I'm pleased you managed it on your own. Smile
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-11-10, 10:53)black_eagle Wrote: Not having an Amazon Fire TV stick, I'm a little unsure here, but in general yes, that is all you should need to do.

Specifically, Kodi will use local databases unless there is an advancedsettings.xml to tell it different.  If there is, it will connect to the networked database(s) and use those (with network paths inside) instead.

Things are moving in a positive direction (I think!). The Kodi application on my TV now replicates the information stored in the MariaDB on the RPi 4. So the basic Samba sharing appears to be partially working. Unfortunately:
  • There are no images displayed. The Artist Information text, however, is present.
  • Although track details are shown, no music appears to be streamed. The Play button on the Remote produces no sound, and the tracks are rapidly cycled through at the top right hand of the screen.
Any suggestions as to what I have forgotten to do?
(2019-11-10, 22:28)wyvernuk Wrote: Any suggestions as to what I have forgotten to do?

Yes, get a debug log (wiki) off the firestick.  The link should explain all, but basically
  • Turn on debug logging
  • Re-start Kodi
  • Try and play at least two tracks that do not work
  • Upload the log
There is an addon in the official Kodi repo that will automatically upload the log for you, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Kodi_Logfile_Uploader

Hopefully the debug log will provide enough info to diagnose the problem.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-11-10, 02:27)jjd-uk Wrote: Just for future info you can use the built in File Manager for getting files onto devices like the Firestick. Similar principle to accessing media files, have a smb share for doing such things and add it as a source and then add the local destination as another source. See File_manager(wiki) and refer to also to Special_protocol(wiki) for special paths you can use when adding a source in File Manager for accessing various bits of Kodi file system.

This sounds like a much better way to carry-out file management on the Fire Stick. I thought that I would try to access a folder on my Windows computer first, to see if I had the correct method. Unfortunately, I don't think I have.

On my Windows computer, there is a Kodi folder for storing general information. I made this shareable and turned off the network requirement to provide passwords. In Kodi File Manager, I added a Source with the following path:  'smb//192.168.0.--/Kodi/' (-- = deliberately hidden). I had various messages such as 'operation not permitted' followed by 'unable to connect...'. Obviously I am missing something!
Give the share a password
(2019-11-11, 11:37)jjd-uk Wrote: Give the share a password
Thank you, that worked a treat!
(2019-11-11, 10:55)wyvernuk Wrote: Just for future info you can use the built in File Manager for getting files onto devices like the Firestick. Similar principle to accessing media files, have a smb share for doing such things and add it as a source and then add the local destination as another source. See File_manager(wiki) and refer to also to Special_protocol(wiki) for special paths you can use when adding a source in File Manager for accessing various bits of Kodi file system.

I assume that I have to create at least one Samba share on the Amazon Fire TV Stick for the device to be accessible via the local network. Although it appears as 'another device' on my Windows 10 desktop, it refuses to connect.

I used the Wireless File Manager to examine the .kodi directories. There is a .smb directory containing the smb.conf file shown below:

[global]
    lock directory = /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/.smb/
    client min protocol = SMB2
    client max protocol = SMB3
    name resolve order = bcast host
    include = /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/.smb/user.conf

There is no user.conf file. So this must be where the additional Samba code should be added.

The logfile does not show the smb service being started, so I imagine there must be quite a lot of 'tweaking' to be done to establish a working network connection.

Alternatively, I could just be over-complicating things!
(2019-11-11, 09:05)black_eagle Wrote: Hopefully the debug log will provide enough info to diagnose the problem.

This was, indeed, quite helpful. The main problem was an outdated 'advancedsettings.xml' file relating to previous UPnP/DLNA attempts. I used the Wireless File Manager application to copy the recommended version into the Userdata folder and things are far more promising!

The Kodi Wiki does , in fact, specify other files that need to be copied to the remote system. I have done so, apart form the Thumbnails folder.

I can now traverse the Library, play songs, view Abum Art, and see Artist Information (text only) in the left-hand pane. The only outstanding problem is the lack of Artist and Fan  images. Is this likely to be solved if I copy the Thumbnails folder across to the Amazon TV Firestick? There is a Thumbnails folder already there, but I don't think that is up-to-date.
If you do the transfers from Kodi on the Firestick then you only need to have the smb share on your PC. If you also want to transfer from on the PC to the Firestick then yes ypu'd need to create a smb share on the Firestick, but that is getting into complicated territory and it's not necessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie's First Kodi System0