• 3(current)
Kodi exiting video randomly on new Nvdia Shield Pro 2019
When I tried NFS before with Krypton on the Shield it made no difference.  The stops happened either way.  The fix for Krypton was to disable CEC commands on Nvidia Shield and make sure no SMB connection existed between my server Mac and the NVidia Shield.  That got rid of the problem for both SMB and NFS here. 

But then I installed Leia and somewhere around 18.4 the problem came back out of nowhere after a firmware update for the Shield itself (which may have changed something or left a CEC command on that is not visible from the GUI or who knows what).  Now it randomly stops again.  It just did it after 1 hour 4 minutes with Angry Birds here.   This does not happen with Leia on my FireTV (2nd gen), but it cannot handle Atmos (and newer version has a lousy 8GB of storage TOTAL making it not the best choice for a library with database image caching, etc.)  If it's an SMB problem, then why did the random stops occur with NFS also?  Windows 10 Pro has like zero NFS support (as a server).  I can use SMB on the same Mac Mini and KODI doesn't even know which OS is booted as it gets SMB either way.  But the random stops happen regardless of whether I use Windows 10 or Mac Mojave 10.14.6 as the server.  I also tried SMB1 (which is not an issue on the Mac as it's handled automatically unlike Windows 10 that has banished SMB1 due to security concerns).  It still stopped under Krypton when the issue was going on.  I guess I could try it under Leia on the Shield (booted into Mac right now).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Yes mine did it in NFS as well. Just worse in SMB. I find both fail just one last longer. I can only get videos to run if I make me share inside the shield and then set the developer option for logger cache to 16MB. I hate setting it up this way but it is the only work around I have
till Nvidia gets back to me. I recall on my setup I have CEC disabled. Not sure if there are more CEC settings to disable in the developers options.

Anyway the work around works for now till hopefully they resolve the issue. It is the new shield for me for sure. If I was to go back to my old device (which I kept) I bet it would work again. 

Since connecting the share up in the shield I have not had it stop or freeze (yet). Only issue I had the other night was my wireless connection was 4 to 5 MB and nothing would work. No other device in my house had an issue on wireless besides the Shield. I added and removed the SSID and
then for some reason it started working at the 205 to 300MB speed again. Since then I test every night before I watch a movie.
Well, I for one won't buy another NVidia Shield.  Everyone raves about their constant update support, but I'm pretty sure the last big firmware update is when the random stops started happening again with no fix in sight (last minor update did nothing to help nor did KODI's 18.5 update).  The device now appears to be nearly useless to me except for my music library stored locally on the hard drive (music skips sometimes over the network still; I don't know what causes that but it'd be nice if KODI pre-buffered music more).  It cannot offer Atmos to me on a single App (with a 2K projector connected) and with KODI randomly stopping playback it's other main function is now also gone.  My Zidoo X9S still runs KODI Krypton without a hitch (Leia crashed constantly on it, but I've been told the newest firmware fixes that) and it also handles 3D MKV playback with its own player perfectly fine so its now my primary playback device for my local library.  AppleTV 4K is the best for streaming here (Netflix, Disney+ and iTunes movies all play with Atmos still using a 2K projector).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
it bums me out for sure on the shield. I'm dedicated to the device and it's the device I use every time I watch. I'm praying they resolve the issue but it does put a bad taste in my mouth for the next upgraded hardware.
(2019-12-10, 17:17)sullysnet Wrote: Yes mine did it in NFS as well. Just worse in SMB. I find both fail just one last longer. I can only get videos to run if I make me share inside the shield and then set the developer option for logger cache to 16MB. I hate setting it up this way but it is the only work around I have
till Nvidia gets back to me. I recall on my setup I have CEC disabled. Not sure if there are more CEC settings to disable in the developers options.

Anyway the work around works for now till hopefully they resolve the issue. It is the new shield for me for sure. If I was to go back to my old device (which I kept) I bet it would work again. 

Since connecting the share up in the shield I have not had it stop or freeze (yet). Only issue I had the other night was my wireless connection was 4 to 5 MB and nothing would work. No other device in my house had an issue on wireless besides the Shield. I added and removed the SSID and
then for some reason it started working at the 205 to 300MB speed again. Since then I test every night before I watch a movie.
@sullysnet Would it be possible for you to describe precisely how you worked around the issue? I am trying to replicate this fix as the issue appears to be impacting my Shield TV 2015 model.  Did you do the following:
  • Install the latest hotfix for your 2019 model (unfortunately this won't be the same as my 2015 model, slightly different hotfixes and the 2019 model has 3 out instead of 2).
  • Increase the debugging logger buffer to 16MB (on the Shield, not in Kodi)
  • Mount the SMB share in the Shield and surface that to Kodi
    • What version of SMB are you using in KODI and on your network storage location? SMBv1, SMBv2 or SMBv3?
I'd love to try to replicate your 'fix' on my Shield 2015.  I am using SMBv3 and surfaced the shares to Kodi from the Shield (without the hotfixes applied) and I am still experiencing the issue.
(2019-12-31, 02:14)Pirivan Wrote:
(2019-12-10, 17:17)sullysnet Wrote: Yes mine did it in NFS as well. Just worse in SMB. I find both fail just one last longer. I can only get videos to run if I make me share inside the shield and then set the developer option for logger cache to 16MB. I hate setting it up this way but it is the only work around I have

@sullysnet Would it be possible for you to describe precisely how you worked around the issue? I am trying to replicate this fix as the issue appears to be impacting my Shield TV 2015 model.  Did you do the following:
  • Install the latest hotfix for your 2019 model (unfortunately this won't be the same as my 2015 model, slightly different hotfixes and the 2019 model has 3 out instead of 2).
    • What version of SMB are you using in KODI and on your network storage location? SMBv1, SMBv2 or SMBv3?
I'd love to try to replicate your 'fix' on my Shield 2015.  I am using SMBv3 and surfaced the shares to Kodi from the Shield (without the hotfixes applied) and I am still experiencing the issue.  

I increased the buffer on my Shield using developer mode.  It made no difference whatsoever, but them my Shield didn't ever really "crash" it just "stopped playing" randomly.  In other words, KODI was still running rather than it exiting from a crash.
(2019-12-31, 02:14)Pirivan Wrote:

I've been using this setup for months now. I have no issues besides some times I get buffering. It is only random when I get that. I have watched 4k rips and all the Blu-ray rips. 

For the patch I usually only use whatever is installed automatically. I would imagine I am on the latest patch. I then went into the dev options and changed the buffer to 16MB and then created my share inside the Shield. If I create
the share inside Kodi only it will crash out. Inside Kodi I then navigate to each of my folders and I set content on the folders so they show up under movies/tv shows. One thing I have found with this 2019 is the amount of movies in one
folder seems to not be the best for Kodi. I have now split the folders into 50 movies each. 

I didn't have any issues on my 2017 Shield. It is only the same setup that I had for the 2017 but now with the 2019. I still haven't received word from Nvidia about a fix and I honestly don't see them fixing it. I hate to be negative but it is been how many months since I bought this 2019 and still no fix in sight.

Thanks @sullysnet!  Other than splitting the movies into smaller folders (it occurs on TV shows for me as well) I think I have replicated the fix you mentioned here but it does not appear to be a 'fix' on my 2015 Shield.  Very much appreciate the reply though!
(2020-02-02, 21:17)Pirivan Wrote: Thanks @sullysnet!  Other than splitting the movies into smaller folders (it occurs on TV shows for me as well) I think I have replicated the fix you mentioned here but it does not appear to be a 'fix' on my 2015 Shield.  Very much appreciate the reply though!

sorry about that, I wasn't sure if it was the same or not. It seems both devices have two separate issues. Are you using SMB or NFS? I did have better luck on NSF but still in the end it would still freeze. It could be 10mins in or run almost till the end of the movie
before it froze.
(2020-02-03, 22:27)sullysnet Wrote: sorry about that, I wasn't sure if it was the same or not. It seems both devices have two separate issues. Are you using SMB or NFS? I did have better luck on NSF but still in the end it would still freeze. It could be 10mins in or run almost till the end of the movie
before it froze. 

SMB currently but I did test using NFS on my QNAP as well; same behavior on 4K files that I was using to test playback.  That behavior sounds exactly like my issues, 10 minutes, 40 minutes, 60 minutes or almost 90.  The ONLY "fix" I have encountered so far is to use mrmc for playback.
(2020-02-04, 00:33)Pirivan Wrote:
(2020-02-03, 22:27)sullysnet Wrote: sorry about that, I wasn't sure if it was the same or not. It seems both devices have two separate issues. Are you using SMB or NFS? I did have better luck on NSF but still in the end it would still freeze. It could be 10mins in or run almost till the end of the movie
before it froze. 

SMB currently but I did test using NFS on my QNAP as well; same behavior on 4K files that I was using to test playback.  That behavior sounds exactly like my issues, 10 minutes, 40 minutes, 60 minutes or almost 90.  The ONLY "fix" I have encountered so far is to use mrmc for playback. 

Yeah, I'm currently updating SPMC's database, etc. to try instead.  I've got MrMC on FireTV, but not the Shield.  I'd miss the addons (I mean you can't even add a global search to it the last time I checked).
(2020-02-04, 00:33)Pirivan Wrote:
before it froze. 

Yes same exact thing. I swear I tried another app but also I didn't try something like VLC. I would say if mrmc works for you then it seems to me a Kodi issue but I'm not the expert.
SPMC just "froze" instead of stopping and then resumed playing a few seconds later, but unlike on Krypton, the "buffering" indicator at the top showed up just before playback resumed.  I have to wonder if the networking connection got interrupted (WiFi break?) or something for a moment and the new behavior of Leia is to just stop playing with a break whereas earlier it would wait awhile for it to resume instead?  The Shield's WiFi meter always says "Excellent" when I check it, but it is further away than my FireTV upstairs that has no issues.  I don't know how much closer I can get my router to it to even test that theory.
(2020-02-07, 00:50)VonMagnum Wrote: SPMC just "froze" instead of stopping and then resumed playing a few seconds later, but unlike on Krypton, the "buffering" indicator at the top showed up just before playback resumed.  I have to wonder if the networking connection got interrupted (WiFi break?) or something for a moment and the new behavior of Leia is to just stop playing with a break whereas earlier it would wait awhile for it to resume instead?  The Shield's WiFi meter always says "Excellent" when I check it, but it is further away than my FireTV upstairs that has no issues.  I don't know how much closer I can get my router to it to even test that theory.

Same here I cannot move mine closer but I have a decent connection on all other things. My plan is to get it wired in the room but I am waiting on the electrician to run the wire. Then I can test moving everything back to how I had it and see if I have any issues.
I wish Kodi had an option to toggle a stat on the networking so we could see if the connection drops.
I just bought MrMC for the Shield and thank god it let me copy the KODI database over (didn't want to label them again like with SPMC).  I don't like the lack of theme choices, but I settled on one that's OK and at least lets me customize the background pictures. I've finally got it all set up and ready to play whatever.  I ran into some oddities, though.  With hardware acceleration turned on (surface one), it wouldn't play some of my discs (e.g. Auro-3D demo disc files) right as it would skip over other second.  I traced it back to that hardware acceleration option.  I turned that off and it works fine.  Well, it did until suddenly nothing played right.  Fortunately, I quit and restarted and everything was working OK again.  I suspect a memory leak or something after it's been running a long time.  I haven't gotten around to trying a movie with it yet, though.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi exiting video randomly on new Nvdia Shield Pro 20190