• 7(current)
Kodi exiting video randomly on new Nvdia Shield Pro 2019
I have a tube and playing 4k files is not stable, regardless of wifi or LAN. It seems that the problems are not in kodi but in nvidia.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...shield-tv/
I also tried this method of increasing the cache in kodi through the Ares Wizard, it helped a little, but not perfect ..

link removed
As both that site and Ares Wizard violate our piracy policy (wiki) and is on our banned addons (wiki) list, they have been removed.

@kolin - Please actually read the forum rules (wiki) that you accepted and agreed to abide by when you signed up here before posting again.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-04-11, 17:58)kolin Wrote: I have a tube and playing 4k files is not stable, regardless of wifi or LAN. It seems that the problems are not in kodi but in nvidia.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...shield-tv/

The 'tube' isn't up to it - only 2GB RAM.
really interesting...I loaded the movies in the old way inside Kodi. Watching Sin City which usually crashes out before I can even get to the second story. I'm using my old cisco router as an AP in N mode only. The signal is not as string as what I had on the newer router but it seems to hold up pretty good. Going to keep testing with this setup.
spoke too soon. It froze the screen.
I had to do a re-install of KODI and while I saved my databases and some other settings, I didn't have the thumbnails and texture database backed up, but when I ran KODI again, it only filled in maybe 1/4 the artwork from before.  Many titles only show "some" of the total "remote" artwork available for many many many titles and if the one I chose isn't one that is showing up, it just shows the generic texture.  I have no idea why some artwork remotely loads while other ones just sit there.  I've let it sit on the Movies display (moving through all of them even) for days.  No further progress.  I'm now moving an older thumbnails/texture database over from my Mac computer install (which wasn't fully up-to-date since I never really watch movies on my computer when I have a home theater I can be using, but hopefully that will at least get me a lot closer to where it was.  I've tried wiping the texture database and thumbnails again and starting over, but it seems to load the exact same ones only like the remote images aren't available (but it' a LOT).  

I did notice that Leia seems to have TWO movie database scrapers installed (older one and a newer one; result of doing upgrades instead of clean installs each time?).  Could there be some weird conflict or something going on?  It doesn't have an option to disable or remove the older one.  Maybe there's a manual way?  Or should that even hurt anything?

Edit:  Copying the computer ones over got me in the ballpark, but the separation of the "compilation sets" seemed to mean many didn't get artwork loaded on the computer (since I used to just copy the databases over) as I gather most artwork doesn't load until it's visible somewhere.  Unfortunately, that meant I still ran into the weird artwork problems.  Some showed artwork previews, but when I selected them they wouldn't select/stick.  Others showed no images, but if I selected them, they were actually there.  Most needed to have the database entries "refreshed" in order to get the artwork displaying/loading correctly.  Unfortunately, many many movies had vastly inferior artwork choices with the newer entries, especially for older movies. I don't know where the old sets went to, but many were so much better.  I tried the Universal movie scraper too with its extra artwork options.  That helped in some cases (better than nothing), but clearly there's a massive disadvantage to having artwork stored on databases on the Internet as they can change at any time.  It's why I preferred the iTunes method of embedding artwork (with an app like Subler on the Mac to make it easy to do once and then NEVER AGAIN).  With it embedded, the results come up correct every single time, even 10 years later.  Sadly, KODI never got movie tag support that iTunes had for Apple TV Generation 1 clear back in 2007.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Same issue here. 
Following.
(2020-04-11, 20:59)sullysnet Wrote: spoke too soon. It froze the screen.

RTS setting of 500 in N mode only with 20MHz bandwidth at 2.4GHz on my Asus router seems to have fixed my freezes and random exits here.  If I increase bandwidth to 40MHz (faster), it starts freezing again.  With the default RTS setting of 23xx it also freezes regardless.  I had to set it to software rendering only as well, although I haven't tried hardware rendering since changing the RTS setting, so I might look at that once more to be sure, but going to software rendering immediately cut back on freezes before I discovered the RTS setting.  On my FireTV 4K, it needs surface only rendering or it will freeze just like the Shield.  I also found that any time I reboot my Mac server, I need to manually turn off sharing and then turn it back on again or it will freeze solid on the Mac end (I have to end the process or wait like 5 minutes for it to quit on its own).  

It's all those oddities combined that made it so difficult to figure out what to do as no single thing seemed to get rid of the problem.  I found the FireTV oddities when I had to switch to my backup unit that hadn't been used in ages.  It had different settings and I was surprised to see it freezing when the other unit was fine (it was running the older Krypton version of KODI as well, but it kept freezing even after upgrading and then I found the hardware rendering setting (non-surface) appeared to be related as it stopped doing it if I used "surface" or software rendering.  The Shield apparently ran fine with hardware rendering ON with Krypton, but after the last big firmware update, it started freezing big time.  I think possibly the NVidia driver changed in it somehow and software rendering seemed to reduce the problem quite a bit (I could make it through about 1 out of 3 movies whereas it would do it 2-4x a movie with the hardware rendering on).  The RTS setting got me through 5/5 movies with no freezes/stops (can't say it won't EVER do it again as it appears to be some kind of intermittent interference since lower RTS settings are for error checking in an environment with more interference and that's despite the Shield reporting an "excellent" signal at 2.4GHz nearly all the time.

The last freeze I got was when I tried 40MHz bandwidth.  It made it through Tron (1 hour 40 minutes or so), but then froze 3 times in 40 minutes with Tombstone.  I turned it back to 20MHz bandwidth and it never froze again the rest of the movie.  I watched two more movies since then with no freezes for a total of 5 with no freezes (including two movies just shy of 3 hours long).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I join this discussion, cause I have problems since 3 years with my Pro and Kodi.
All apps on the Shield have no problems....only Kodi crashes always.
I tried so much solutions over the time....I can't remember all (incl. increase Shield Buffer Log and so on).
3 weeks ago I switched from SMB/NFS and so on to "hard connected" USB data transfer. I connected my drives directly via the both Shield USB connections.
And I thought this was on the end the solution. But it was only for 2 weeks. 2 weeks without any Kodi crash. Was a great time :-)
But, after the 2 weeks crash-free time, I had again crashes. First time only rare, but constantly increasing.
Meanwhile I have the same crash-rate as under SMB/NFS.
So I thought, I have on some parts in the database problems, which could causes the problems. So I worked hard one week on build up the database from the scratch.
BUT...Kodi again crashes during watching videos or crashes during music or crashes without any action.
Either my video collection of over 20TB is too big for Kodi on the Shield...or I have since start with the Shield hardware problems....I don't know.
I again will install Kodi from the scratch (after so many times before) and will see. As I told: for 2 weeks it was pretty good...what happens after the 2 weeks...."?"

What I absolutly don't understand and accept: why can Kodi crash? Is there no build crash prevention? If there are problem e.g. with not fast enough getting data....why Kodi doesn't buffer, that we all know, we have speed problems on data transfer?

I'm afraid, that the Kodi-Team further don't care about the problems. If you google Kodi crashes on the Shield you get tons of user problems belongs to exactlly this.
Therefore I have no really hope, that the Kodi-Team solve the common Shield problems with Kodi version 19. Really strange: cause, I assume, that the Shield today is the most common and famous device to run Kodi.
I don't Nvidia responsible for the problems, cause I have no one App beside Kodi, which crashes.
I'm not sure whether this is related or not because: 
a) KODI is not crashing but videos are freezing, and 
b) I have an Ugoos AM6 Plus and an AM6 Pro. Videos freeze on both boxes.

The commonalities are both are running KODI Leia v18.8 and Android 9.0 Pie. That said, I read somewhere on this forum that the problem is known and comes from the AM Logic processor but it is seems very odd because it happens so randomly. For example, last night I was watching a TV episode and it ran from beginning to end without freezing but when watching the following episode, it froze twice. I have never been able to watch a single full-length movie without at least one freeze. 

Another issue is that sometimes I can recover by using rewind at x8, pressing play, repeating rewind, and pressing play again. Other times any attempt to rewind results in a crash and I am unable to resume from the point of crash. All very frustrating, especially when you have guests over.
It's been a few weeks and I've only had one exit on my 2017 Nvidia Shield since changing my Asus router's RTS setting to 500 and that includes the latest KODI 18.8.  It's working about 20x better than it was.
(2020-08-25, 19:55)VonMagnum Wrote: It's been a few weeks and I've only had one exit on my 2017 Nvidia Shield since changing my Asus router's RTS setting to 500 and that includes the latest KODI 18.8.  It's working about 20x better than it was.

I had this problem 2 years with disconnecting kodi to main menu. You need to turn off option „ send files by local network”
I need pass it to nvidia because then we dont have access to hdd connected on usb. I have connected disk directly to router.
I just got the newest NVidia System Software update installed.  On the plus side, it finally adds full SMB3 support for local file transfers.  On the down side, every time I start a video now, I get this Nvidia popup "nag" reminder that tells me I can control volume with my Bluetooth (FireTV Remote I'm using from the latest FireTV stick) if I go to preferences 'blah blah blah' and enable it.  WTF!?!?!  It never said that crap in the last version. 

My FireTV remote I'm using is set internally to control my Receiver's volume via Infrared so I don't need or want the FireTV's volume to be used (as it would double change it and that only turns volume down from maximum anyway).  The nag popup occurs when I start/stop video with KODI and when I turn the volume up/down on the receiver (It apparently doesn't like that it's getting a bluetooth volume signal that I have it set to ignore as if it thinks I'm too stupid to realize I keep hammering on the volume keys and I have it set to do nothing so it doesn't work but I keep doing it anyway?!?!?). 

If I turn CEC Volume control ON, it gets rid of the nag popups for pressing the volume buttons, but it still shows it EVERY SINGLE TIME I start/stop a video unless I set KODI to use "Fixed" audio (which doesn't allow passthrough audio so it's no good).  Apparently, the Shield senses it changing the sound/volume setting to adjust to passthrough and thinks the same thing that I'm trying to change volume via the Shield for some reason and it's not working so stupid me should go to the settings.  There is NO way to get rid of this start/stop one other than to not use that remote or set it to "fixed" as KODI won't allow the Shield's system volume to change it even if it's set to allow it in the Shield preferences (I wouldn't want it to anyway since it would be changing the receiver and Shield's volume at the same time and hitting up, for example will keep raising the receiver's volume even if the Shield's is maxed out and vice versa so it's bad news to do so).  

Of course, there is no possible way to turn off those nag requests that I can find and given how it functions, I can't comprehend why anyone would want them to appear over and over again.  I can only assume the Nvidia Shield team missed it because they don't use Bluetooth remotes in testing, just the one it came with (which on my model is a rechargeable model that doesn't hold the charge very long at all!  The FireTV one is vastly superior in every way possible and the batteries can last a year or more and use simple cheap AAA batteries).

I sent NVidia some feedback about it, but somehow I doubt they'll give a crap.  I put it on CEC ON for now so at least it only puts the nag popup at the start/stop points, but what an annoying 'feature' to get when all I really wanted was the SMB3 file transfer capability from a remote computer (it was very slow before and still might be even so for all I know as I haven't gotten around to testing it yet).
Has there every been a fix for this freezing issue with Kodi and ShieldTV. I get the same issue even with music.

I'm ready to throw this Shield and anything Android in the garbage.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi exiting video randomly on new Nvdia Shield Pro 20190