• 8(current)
Kodi exiting video randomly on new Nvdia Shield Pro 2019
(2021-06-13, 09:58)HeLioZ Wrote: Has there every been a fix for this freezing issue with Kodi and ShieldTV. I get the same issue even with music.

I'm ready to throw this Shield and anything Android in the garbage.

No (other than switch to Ethernet or possibly try a different router). I don't think Nvidia or KODI is even trying to find one either so don't count on one.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I think I might find out where the problem is. This may be a compatibility issue between the ASUS router and NVIDIA shielding.My router is GT-ac5300,My NAS is tvs653dMy fiber modem is the local 192.168.1.1 of the sa1456c networkThe home network environment is fiber-sa1456c-ac5300Under ac5300 is my mobile phone, TV, NVIDIAshield, NAS.During this period, I did a lot of testing1. I directly connect the shielded TV and ac5300 with a network cable, and then play the video in the NAS. Many times down, did not quit.2. I directly connected the NAS to the network port of sa1456c, and then blocked the video connected to sa1456, but did not log out.3. I connected the NAS to sa1456c, shielded the wireless network connected to ac5300, and directly added 192.168 to Kodi. 1.131 (nas), then play, without exiting.4. I also have a netgear r7000. I used merlin at the beginning. One is the same as the ac5300, but it also quits randomly when working. After many trials with no results, I changed the R7000's firmware back to NETGEAR's own, and tested the playback again. The result was that the normal playback did not exit. 5. My TV at home is a Sony TV, and it will occasionally exit when connected to ac5300, but it is not as frequent as NVIDIA. The above is the result I got here.Because my mother tongue is not English and I don't know much about English, I use Google Translate to translate my content into English. Please take a look at it, thank you.
I don't quite follow, but we've known there's an issue with the NVidia Shield and Asus router when running KODI on it for some time. 

My cable modem recently had something go wrong with its Ethernet port (100Mbps still works, but 1000Mbps won't connect even with new cables) and for whatever reason it won't talk to my Asus router either, but my old NetGear router will work so I'm using it until I can be bothered to take the cable modem back and get a replacement.  The Netgear router is an old WNDR3700.  It's nowhere near as fast or strong a signal in 5GHz as the Asus router, but that makes it all the more pronounced that KODI plays without stopping with it just fine where the Asus would randomly stop no matter what settings I used.  Once in awhile (every several movies) the movie will lose sound for a fraction of a second or something if the network burps, but it doesn't stop playing.  So it's clearly not a connection strength issue (the Asus has a good signal at 5GHz with excellent noise ratio whereas the Netgear has only a fair signal).  The Netgear router will not stream most video on the 2.4GHz network, though.  It just can't keep it going, even though it has an excellent signal.  Doubling the bandwidth setting doesn't help.  The 5GHz network with only a fair signal plays just fine. 

The Asus would play just fine with both networks (getting 160Mbps out of 160 possible with my ISP package in WiFi before the cable modem's ethernet port stopped working correctly), but KODI would stop playing randomly anyway.  All other apps but KODI streamed just fine, however so it seems to be a combination of the Nvidia Shield firmware (used to work fine many firmware revisions ago), something in KODI (god knows what) that wants to "stop" for some reason whereas all other apps, even on the Shield play just fine and the Asus router (no issue with other brand routers, it seems).  Meanwhile, though the Asus router works with KODI installed on my old Firestick 4K (the one with SD Card port) just fine (doesn't stop on it, thus proving the Shield is the common factor/problem rather than KODI or the router itself).

I hate to trash (metaphorically speaking as in no longer use) a perfectly good Asus router, but I've been thinking of getting another brand 6GHz next-gen router that's rated with even stronger WiFi signal reach and hope the Shield doesn't hate it too (after I get the cable modem replaced).  It's just too irritating.  Alternately, I could connect the Netgear as a 2nd router for just the Shield and continue to use the Asus router for everything else.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Any news on that? I think it is Shield/Asus problem not Kodi specific because I have the same problem with VLC.
I have tried SMB and NFS and it works well when wired but freezes over wifi.
(2021-10-29, 23:07)kofii12345 Wrote: Any news on that? I think it is Shield/Asus problem not Kodi specific because I have the same problem with VLC.

When my cable modem had an issue with its Ethernet port, I tried my older NetGear router and while it doesn't have the speed/range of the Asus, all the KODI problems with exiting/stopping went away despite a much weaker signal to the same room.  I'd say it's definitely a problem with the Shield and Asus.  The worst part is I think one of their firmware "upgrades" is when the problem started, but going back is hard to do and you lose other desirable features like SMB3 file transfers to the unit, etc. they added.  It sucks they and Asus aren't willing to even look into the problem.  I will not buy an Asus router again as a result.
(2021-10-29, 23:07)kofii12345 Wrote: Any news on that? I think it is Shield/Asus problem not Kodi specific because I have the same problem with VLC.

The problem is not resolved. I replaced the latest router ROG-GTax6000 from Asus, and the problem still exists. I think this is a system software problem of the ASUS router.
I had this issue from the first Kodi install. After replacing my ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with an OPNsense box, the issue hasn't occurred since.
Is it affects Asus AX Series with wifi 6 too?
I have tested my brother Nvidia Shield Tube and it had the same problem but after updateing to Android 11 it seems to work now Smile
(2022-01-13, 20:07)kofii12345 Wrote: I have tested my brother Nvidia Shield Tube and it had the same problem but after updateing to Android 11 it seems to work now Smile

Really? That's really great. This is good news.
I recently used NFS to connect to my NAS.So it can play normally under wifi.
(2022-01-13, 20:07)kofii12345 Wrote: I have tested my brother Nvidia Shield Tube and it had the same problem but after updateing to Android 11 it seems to work now Smile

I was wondering if the Android 11 update helped or not.  I can't test it at the moment because my cable modem went wonky and won't connect with my newer Asus router at all anymore and will not connect with my old Netgear router at Gigabit Ethernet speeds, but still works with 100Mbps so until I can get the cable modem replaced, I can't try the Asus router (and it never stops playing on the Netgear router). 

I did update the Shield to Android 11.  That did seem to cause an issue with viewing picture directories containing GIFs, though (at least I think that's what's crashing KODI in the picture viewer as other folders that are all JPEG don't cause a crash; it even crashes on the preview in that folder with a GIF and never did before the Android 11 update or on my FireTV 4K unit upstairs also running Matrix 19.3).

Edit: I tried removing the two GIF images in that directory and sure enough, that fixed the crash problem viewing that folder.  The funny thing is viewing another folder that is all animated GIFs doesn't crash KODI at all, just the two non-animated GIFs that were in that folder for some unknown reason (that still work fine on the same version of KODI on my FireTV 4K upstairs).
I watched a movie today on the Shield with the Asus router and so far so good.  It didn't hiccup a bit during playback. 

I have had KODI crash multiple times now with the picture viewer (more stable on my FireTV 4K with far less memory than the Nvidia Shield since the Android 11 update).
I've watched 5 more movies on my 2017 Shield Pro with my Asus router.  No issues (no stops or stutters).  I think they really did fix the problem with Asus routers.  I'm glad one thing has gone right lately.
Ok. I get freezes on shield pro Sad I will try hotfix image.
I have tried 9.0+ HotFix Image 3 and still it keep freezing on Pro. Sad
Could you gives "ups" to https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...ver-wi-fi/ if you have the same problem?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi exiting video randomly on new Nvdia Shield Pro 20190