Original XBox Remote (or any other remote) with MCE receiver
I've only tested this with the Vista MCE remote but I think it should work for most if not all of them. Using a new enough build so that IR Server Suite is supported install IR Server Suite 1.4.2 RC1 or newer and configure it to use your MCE receiver. This should be pretty much automatic. Then goto your XBMC install directory and in the system folder open IRSSmap.xml. Then cut and paste the following over it and save.

Code:
<!-- This file contains the mapping of IR Server Suite keys to XBMC keys used in Keymap.xml  -->

<irssmap>
    <remote device="Microsoft MCE">

<!-- MCE Remote -->
        <pause>31719</pause> <!-- pause -->
        <stop>31718</stop> <!-- stop -->
        <play>31721</play> <!-- play -->
        <forward>31723</forward> <!-- forward -->
        <reverse>31722</reverse> <!-- reverse -->
        <left>31711</left> <!-- left -->
        <right>31710</right> <!-- right -->
        <up>31713</up> <!-- up -->
        <down>31712</down> <!-- down -->
        <select>31709</select> <!-- ok -->
        <pageplus>31725</pageplus> <!-- channel up -->
        <pageminus>31724</pageminus> <!-- channel down -->
        <back>31708</back> <!-- previous -->
        <menu>31707</menu> <!-- dvd menu -->
        <title>31671</title> <!-- recorded tv -->
        <info>31728</info> <!-- info -->
        <skipplus>31717</skipplus> <!-- skip -->
        <skipminus>31716</skipminus> <!-- repeat -->
        <display>31705</display> <!-- guide -->
        <start>31730</start> <!-- start -->
        <record>31720</record> <!-- record -->
        <volumeplus>31727</volumeplus> <!-- volume up -->
        <volumeminus>31726</volumeminus> <!-- volume down -->
        <mute>31729</mute> <!-- mute -->
        <power>31642</power> <!-- tv power -->
        <mytv>31706</mytv> <!-- live tv -->
        <one>31742</one>
        <two>31741</two>
        <three>31740</three>
        <four>31739</four>
        <five>31738</five>
        <six>31737</six>
        <seven>31736</seven>
        <eight>31735</eight>
        <nine>31734</nine>
        <zero>31743</zero>
        <mytv>31652</mytv> <!-- red -->
        <mymusic>31651</mymusic> <!-- green -->
        <mypictures>31650</mypictures> <!-- yellow -->
        <myvideo>31649</myvideo> <!-- blue -->

<!-- Original XBox Remote -->
        <pause>1305</pause>
        <stop>1311</stop>
        <play>1301</play>
        <forward>1308/</forward>
        <reverse>1309</reverse>
        <left>1366</left>
        <right>1367</right>
        <up>1369</up>
        <down>1368</down>
        <select>1524</select>
        <back>1319</back>
        <menu>1288</menu>
        <title>1306</title>
        <info>1340</info>
        <skipplus>1312</skipplus>
        <skipminus>1314</skipminus>
        <display>1322</display>
        <one>1329</one>
        <two>1330</two>
        <three>1331</three>
        <four>1332</four>
        <five>1333</five>
        <six>1334</six>
        <seven>1335</seven>
        <eight>1336</eight>
        <nine>1337</nine>
        <zero>1338</zero>
    </remote>
</irssmap>
If the above method does not work for you or you want to use a different remote, here is how to do it. If the XBox remote doesn't work then you will just edit the XBox remote section, however if you want to add your own remote copy the MCE or the XBox remote section and paste it at the end creating a new section and change the title if you like and edit it. Then open the IR Server Suite Debug Client. Hit connect, and you should get a series of messages letting you know you are connected. Then go down the list of buttons in the section of the IRSSmap.xml you are editing. For each button hit the button and check the Debug Client to get the code for the button. It should look something like MicrosoftMCE(1305) then just change the number for the code in IRSSmap.xml.
Thought I would share my experience here.. As I just beat my head against the wall for a couple hours trying to sort things out.

First, make sure you have the latest SVN installed. I was running one I downloaded not all that long ago and it did not have the IR Server Suite support built in.

Second, you can get the IR Server Suite here: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mce-re...1-a-33512/
look for the latest build (IR Server Suite - Test Build 1.4.2 RC1.zip) and you will have to register with the Media Portal Forum Server to download (this maybe available some where else where registering is not required).

Third, I had to edit the IRSSmap.xml in the Userdata directory using the txt provided by wHack. Here is the path
C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\XBMC\UserData

Finally, this should work for damn near any remote. IR Server Suite appears to support a whack or different remotes from serial ones to RF ones. All you need to do is install it. Once that is done if you are using a MS Media Centre remote you are good to go, if you are using a MS XBox1 remote, use the IRSSmap.xml provided. For other remotes just update the xml with the codes from IR Server Suite debugger.

If you need more detail instructions post here I and I will see if I can help.

Mike
Whack, thanks for the update.

Mike, thanks for your small guide. it was very helpful.

however Mike, i have some issues im hoping you could help me with.

i have already setup my generic IR remote with my dodgy serial IR reciever i had made some time ago using winlirc.

with the IR server apps, it has a plugin that allows me to use the ir codes already programmed into my system via winlirc tab. In fact when i use the debugger tool, it shows me the codes as being the "names" of the buttons i have labled using winlirc drivers.

i have then edited the IRSSmap.xml to reflect these names.(eg <pause>pause</pause>)

so i basically know i have the irserver recieving my button presses, however when i run xbmc, nothing appears to happen? am i missing a step at all?

how do you make xbmc access the irssmap.xml, or is it auto?

regards,
Dam0
Some more digging last night might help here...
The location that the XML file needs to be is determined if you are the -p flag to launch xbmc.exe. If the -p flag is present (platform mode) it looks in the c:\Documents and settings\......
Without the -p selected it looks in c:\program files\XBMC directory

Confirm you have updated the right one. Until I figured it out I actually edited both xml files in both locations.

I am not sure with IR Server Suite if it has to be running or not. I guess I should test it out. I have the tray icon running all the time now and set to start on boot (I am still just testing out XBMC on the PC trying to get it running well enough that I can swap out with my XBox in my living room). The tray icon you can set to monitor for specific button and once received it launch's an application of choice. In my case XBMC. I had to create a little batch file so that I could launch with the -fs -p options after.

Again confirm your version of XBMC. I think it was the high 13000's that IR Server Suite was added. Might as well make sure you are on 14125.

To confirm my remote was working with IR Server Suite I left the debugger running while XBMC is running and you can see the codes that IR Server Suite is receiving. Assuming you have updated the right XML (just do both ;-), you should be off and running.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Dam0 Wrote:Whack, thanks for the update.

Mike, thanks for your small guide. it was very helpful.

however Mike, i have some issues im hoping you could help me with.

i have already setup my generic IR remote with my dodgy serial IR reciever i had made some time ago using winlirc.

with the IR server apps, it has a plugin that allows me to use the ir codes already programmed into my system via winlirc tab. In fact when i use the debugger tool, it shows me the codes as being the "names" of the buttons i have labled using winlirc drivers.

i have then edited the IRSSmap.xml to reflect these names.(eg <pause>pause</pause>)

so i basically know i have the irserver recieving my button presses, however when i run xbmc, nothing appears to happen? am i missing a step at all?

how do you make xbmc access the irssmap.xml, or is it auto?

regards,
Dam0
i am indeed running svn 14125, and have also edited *.xml from both dirs.

i have checked my logs and it seems xbmc doesnt recieve the button names from irserver as assigned. it says something like "button name" not known.

i have named my buttions pretty much as they are named in xbmc(ie play).

when i try the debug tool, it shows me the button name, not the code as discribed in mikes tute.

another option is for me to map the actual keyboard functions to my buttons using the translate i think tool. however i cant find a suitable button equivalant for "enter" key or "arrow up" key

regards,
Dam0
By no stretch an expert here and just trying to learn myself. So take what I say with a grain of salt (or a shaker). Anyways I am wondering if you even need winlirc or if it is just confusing things and adding mutliple layers that the IR codes need to be passed through. Might mean a little extra work, but if you remove winlirc then IR Server Suite will be receiving the true codes, then you just modify the XML with your codes and you should be up an running.

Personally I am trying to sort out how I can get the Windows box Hibernating, or going into standby and resuming via remote. There are functions in IR Server suite but still need to figure it out.

Dam0 Wrote:i am indeed running svn 14125, and have also edited *.xml from both dirs.

i have checked my logs and it seems xbmc doesnt recieve the button names from irserver as assigned. it says something like "button name" not known.

i have named my buttions pretty much as they are named in xbmc(ie play).

when i try the debug tool, it shows me the button name, not the code as discribed in mikes tute.

another option is for me to map the actual keyboard functions to my buttons using the translate i think tool. however i cant find a suitable button equivalant for "enter" key or "arrow up" key

regards,
Dam0
Bedpan,

your suggestion is a good one indeed, however im using a home made IR reciever, and therefore dont have any actual drivers for the IR device. im not sure which device to attempt to use for IRserver to function without winlirc.

ive tried a few options, with no success.

im at work atm but i think ive found out how to map keyboard special keys using IRserver.

Dam0
i have found a solution for those of us with non standard remote setups:-)

i have mapped my remote buttons to keyboard commands using IRserver and using winlirc to supply drivers for my home made IR reciever

is a great solution imho.(for total cost of about $5)

cept i cant find out how to make the sleep command work for me...yet

Dam0
Dam0 Wrote:i have found a solution for those of us with non standard remote setups:-)

i have mapped my remote buttons to keyboard commands using IRserver and using winlirc to supply drivers for my home made IR reciever

is a great solution imho.(for total cost of about $5)

cept i cant find out how to make the sleep command work for me...yet

Dam0

that actually seems pretty convoluted. IR Server Suite should be able to do it all, no need for WinLIRC, which is old and not developed anymore.

You can also try LM Remote Keymap, it is free and i have posted in another thread some setup info.

I think some developers are looking at EventGhost, I hope they can make it seamless in XBMC!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Original XBox Remote (or any other remote) with MCE receiver1