In need of recommendation
Lightbulb 
I've been reading so many topics, including the sticked ones but I'm totally lost as to what I should buy.

I'm looking for a player that can do a quite simple task: play 4K files (remote share) from Kodi for the best price possible.. As my requirements are quite... slim, I'm looking for the best option available. I have no need for Gigabit Ethernet since my network is limited at 100Mbps. I can still play most 4K files fine, my source doesn't have 70Mbps+ 4K anyway.

While keeping the future in mind, I'm trying to find the best player for the best price, as my requirements might change in the future.

I have a brand new 4K smart-tv and the internal Netflix/Youtube is fine, so I'm looking for Kodi only. I don't care if it's a Kodi-only box, Android TV or Linux.

The options I'm most hopeful for are below. As I live in the Netherlands, prices are quite different. I added them behind.
Fire Stick 4K - ± 50-60 euros
Apple TV 4K - ± 100 euros
Raspberry Pi 4B - ± 80 euros
ODROID N2 - ± 100-120 euros

Based on my requirements and possible prices, what would you guys recommend?

Thank you so much in advance. I'm really lost at what I want/ need.
(2019-11-03, 20:29)johndowe Wrote: Based on my requirements
Is HDR is a thing for you?
(2019-11-03, 20:49)Klojum Wrote:
Oh yeah I should have added that. Yes, HDR10 is something I want.
(2019-11-03, 20:54)johndowe Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 20:49)Klojum Wrote:

- FireTV stick does not have a LAN port. It’s not fully sorted for Kodi usage.

- Apple TV 4K does not easily run Kodi, but it is a hell of an Apps media player, especially with it Apps auto Frame Rate Matching functionality for use in 25fps/50Hz territories like Europe and Australasia.

- RPi4 really is in a developmental Alpha state for Kodi use, forget about it entirely for HDR

- ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is what you want if you want out of the box, fast, snappy, stable 4K HDR Kodi. Simply add a Plug n Play MINIX A2 lite remote (has its own mini USB RF receiver dongle)

There are a whole swag of snappy, cheap S905X2 chipset devices that can run 4K HDR & HD audio CoreELEC Kodi from a Class10 U1 microSDHC if you are into some DIY.

Because you do not really need powerful WiFi the cheapest of them with a Nice remote would be the 2GB Mecool KM9 Pro Classic (click) found on AliExpress.

Also if you are in Europe there is also the very stable Vero 4K+ that runs OSMC Kodi.

(2019-11-04, 04:15)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 20:54)johndowe Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 20:49)Klojum Wrote: Is HDR is a thing for you? 

- Apple TV 4K does not easily run Kodi, but it is a hell of an Apps media player, especially with it Apps auto Frame Rate Matching functionality for use in 25fps/50Hz territories like Europe and Australasia.

- RPi4 really is in a developmental Alpha state for Kodi use, forget about it entirely for HDR

- ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is what you want if you want out of the box, fast, snappy, stable 4K HDR Kodi. Simply add a Plug n Play MINIX A2 lite remote (has its own mini USB RF receiver dongle)

There are a whole swag of snappy, cheap S905X2 chipset devices that can run 4K HDR & HD audio CoreELEC Kodi from a Class10 U1 microSDHC if you are into some DIY.

Because you do not really need powerful WiFi the cheapest of them with a Nice remote would be the 2GB Mecool KM9 Pro Classic (click) found on AliExpress.

Also if you are in Europe there is also the very stable Vero 4K+ that runs OSMC Kodi. 

Alright! Would you recommend the classic or the deluxe? Cost wise they look very interesting!
(2019-11-04, 11:03)johndowe Wrote:
(2019-11-04, 04:15)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 20:54)johndowe Wrote: Oh yeah I should have added that. Yes, HDR10 is something I want. 

Alright! Would you recommend the classic or the deluxe? Cost wise they look very interesting!

The only real difference is the Classic has 2GB RAM and pretty bad 2.4GHz only WiFi.
For CoreELEC OS using Ethernet LAN only those things really do not matter. It's a lean and mean, efficient Linux based OS for Kodi.

(2019-11-04, 11:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-04, 11:03)johndowe Wrote:
(2019-11-04, 04:15)wrxtasy Wrote: - FireTV stick does not have a LAN port. It’s not fully sorted for Kodi usage.

The only real difference is the Classic has 2GB RAM and pretty bad 2.4GHz only WiFi.
For CoreELEC OS using Ethernet LAN only those things really do not matter. It's a lean and mean, efficient Linux based OS for Kodi. 

I'll be using ethernet anyway. Is the price bump worth it to get 4GB RAM?
You have 120 euro's as a top example, however you can afford a 4k TV even though some are cheap, but others are more expensive.

If you can save up a little bit more, I would recommend a shield. As the 2019 version has hit the shops now for £199, you might be able to pick up older versions for cheap, and they are better options than all what you have listed.

You will have a lot of people wanting to upgrade to the 19 version, so check ebay.
(2019-11-04, 12:33)Video Titles Wrote: If you can save up a little bit more, I would recommend a shield. As the 2019 version has hit the shops now for £199, you might be able to pick up older versions for cheap, and they are better options than all what you have listed.

We are talking Kodi only here, pls read the 1st post again...

Sorry to disappoint you but any Shield will NOT be superior to a 2019 4K HDR S905X2 / S922X AMLogic chipset device for running trouble free SDR / 4K HDR Kodi with a 100Mbit only LAN.

(2019-11-03, 20:29)johndowe Wrote: I have a brand new 4K smart-tv and the internal Netflix/Youtube is fine, so I'm looking for Kodi only. I don't care if it's a Kodi-only box, Android TV or Linux.

(2019-11-04, 12:33)Video Titles Wrote: You have 120 euro's as a top example, however you can afford a 4k TV even though some are cheap, but others are more expensive.

If you can save up a little bit more, I would recommend a shield. As the 2019 version has hit the shops now for £199, you might be able to pick up older versions for cheap, and they are better options than all what you have listed.

You will have a lot of people wanting to upgrade to the 19 version, so check ebay.

Good suggestion! I can get the Shield TV 2017 for around 150 euros, the Mecool is around 35 euros... How much performance improvement should I expect so I can figure out if it's worth it.
(2019-11-04, 12:41)johndowe Wrote:
(2019-11-04, 12:33)Video Titles Wrote: You have 120 euro's as a top example, however you can afford a 4k TV even though some are cheap, but others are more expensive.

Good suggestion! I can get the Shield TV 2017 for around 150 euros, the Mecool is around 35 euros... How much performance improvement should I expect so I can figure out if it's worth it.

Oh I see the new response. Sounds clear. I'll just get the Mecool :-). Thanks for your help guys!
(2019-11-04, 12:33)Video Titles Wrote: If you can save up a little bit more, I would recommend a shield. As the 2019 version has hit the shops now for £199, you might be able to pick up older versions for cheap, and they are better options than all what you have listed.

We are talking Kodi only here, pls read the 1st post again...

Sorry to disappoint you but any Shield will NOT be superior to a 2019 4K HDR S905X2 / S922X AMLogic chipset device for running trouble free SDR / 4K HDR Kodi with a 100Mbit only LAN.

What the 2017 Shield will do is out of the Box - install and run Kodi without any real DIY required, but then you are still having to deal with that Bullshit touch sensitive remote.

(2019-11-03, 20:29)johndowe Wrote: I have a brand new 4K smart-tv and the internal Netflix/Youtube is fine, so I'm looking for Kodi only. I don't care if it's a Kodi-only box, Android TV or Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
In need of recommendation0