Buffering with local 4K Blu-Ray remuxes on Shield with KODI
Hi guys,

My movies only NOT buffer when I play them from the very beginning of the movie (0:00:00 sec) and I do not fast foward or seek in a movie. When I try to resume a movie from the main movie list(eg. from 17:47) I get "buffering, please wait". After 5-20! minutes it then starts playback. Also fastforwarding or skipping to another chapter: the movie hangs for about 5-20 minutes.

I tried the advancedsettings.xml with all sorts of settings (very large cache size, small cache size) but this does do anything.

My setup:

1. Files on external HDD locally (So nothing with networking or anything)
2. Western Digital Elements SE 1tb usb 3.0
3. Shield TV 2015
4. Official Kodi from app store
5. external HDD formatted as exFAT with 32mb cluster size
6. Playing large (50gb) 4K HDR 10bit blu-ray remuxes

What could the problem be??
Don't dream your life, live your dream
Please post your Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-05, 17:15)fritsch Wrote: Please post your Debug Log

Thanks for your reply fritsch. 

http://paste.kodi.tv/cijeyafesi

Here is my log file. The buffering/waiting starts around 12:21, the moment when I select "The Lion King" and try to start running from where I left the movie the last time I exited the movie. 
ps: the higher the time from where I try to start the movie, the longer the buffering takes. So when I try to run the movie from eg. 2 hours it will hang for about 10-20 minutes!!
Long shot, try this, please: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-11, 14:38)fritsch Wrote: Long shot, try this, please: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk

You have an idea about the problem? 
And will that version work on the Shield?
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk <- arm64

In fact your Debug Log was "quite empty", as you said it's a buffering issue I checkedh audio buffer and this is - in general - quite low (64 ms) - as other Shield users had issues with audio runnind dry and dropouts, it's worth a try. Btw. you attached a usb disk in your scenario, right? or did you copy it to local disk?
(2019-11-11, 16:20)fritsch Wrote: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk <- arm64

In fact your Debug Log was "quite empty", as you said it's a buffering issue I checkedh audio buffer and this is - in general - quite low (64 ms) - as other Shield users had issues with audio runnind dry and dropouts, it's worth a try. Btw. you attached a usb disk in your scenario, right? or did you copy it to local disk?

is it a USB 3.0 HDD.

EDIT: just tried the version you send with a clean install and factory reset of the Nvidia Shield. Still the same problem. Could the problem be the external hdd?
Try from a different source. Some months / years ago - there was an issue that when accessing FileExists we were blocked for a very long time. Try to copy the file / stream it via network (NOT SMB, please)
(2019-11-12, 18:19)fritsch Wrote: Try from a different source. Some months / years ago - there was an issue that when accessing FileExists we were blocked for a very long time. Try to copy the file / stream it via network (NOT SMB, please)

That is the problem. I do not have wifi at home.

EDIT: I use a 4G/LTE hotspot where my devices are connected to.
I hope your devices internally don't go over the hotspot to talk to each other. Never the less, you can copy a testfile to internal shield memory and see how it works.
(2019-11-12, 19:51)fritsch Wrote: I hope your devices internally don't go over the hotspot to talk to each other. Never the less, you can copy a testfile to internal shield memory and see how it works.

My devices are not connected. I only have a Shield for playback of local blu-ray rips.

How much gb can I put on the internal memory?
i think the problem with buffering could be the HDD on . i had exactly the same drive on my shield 2017, and i had sometimes max 30mb/s for read and write on shields usb3 port. this hdd bugged also my shield remote when it was connected (laggy homescreen and short range of the remote).

for the 2015 shield, there are 2 different models, one with internal hdd and one with 16gb memory, if you have the 16gb version you can watch in the settings how many free space you actually have

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering with local 4K Blu-Ray remuxes on Shield with KODI0