Kodi freezes on 4k videos Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)
I'm having a new issue with Kodi and Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). I switched to NFS from SMB because of disconnects. The disconnects are gone when switching to NFS but 4k videos
are freezing at random points in the movies. This is an issue on any 4k that I have tested. I tried a bluray ripped movie and so far no freezes. I will test more.

Anyone have any clues? Adding log

https://paste.kodi.tv/orosazefig.kodi
(2019-11-10, 06:41)sullysnet Wrote: I'm having a new issue with Kodi and Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). I switched to NFS from SMB because of disconnects. The disconnects are gone when switching to NFS but 4k videos
are freezing at random points in the movies. This is an issue on any 4k that I have tested. I tried a bluray ripped movie and so far no freezes. I will test more.

Anyone have any clues? Adding log

https://paste.kodi.tv/orosazefig.kodi
Hello,

You have to customize the network cache as explained here via an advancesettings.xml file.

the advancesettings.xml file i use on my shield 2017 looks like :
Quote:<advancedsettings>
    <videolibrary>
        <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
    </videolibrary>
    <cache>
        <memorysize>314572800</memorysize>  <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams in memory When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead of RAM -->
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>  <!-- Choose what to buffer:
    0) Buffer all internet filesystems (like "2" but additionally also ftp, webdav, etc.) (default)
    1) Buffer all filesystems (including local)
    2) Only buffer true internet filesystems (streams) (http, etc.)
    3) No buffer -->
        <readfactor>8.0</readfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readbufferfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
                                          This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering. Default value 4.0. -->
    </cache>
    <video>
        <adjustrefreshrate>
            <override>
                <fpsmin>24.98</fpsmin>
                <fpsmax>25.01</fpsmax>
                <refreshmin>50</refreshmin>
                <refreshmax>50</refreshmax>
            </override>
        </adjustrefreshrate>
    </video>
    <gui>
        <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
        <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
    </gui>
</advancedsettings>
you edit that file on the shield space or inside Kodi? thanks
You have to create manually the xml file on your pc and save it in a network share visible from the shield.
Install a Filemanager on the shield like X-plore File manager from the google play.
Open the Filemanager, go to the settings and check the option to see the hidden files.
Then go the network share and copy the xml file in the shield local storage : Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

You can launch Kodi.
thanks, do you feel it's safe to use your config on mine, it seems like it's generic enough.
I tried your config but the video is no longer smooth. It is choppy. Any thoughts? What is the overall issue, my network?

thanks

I've actually tried a few settings and all so far stutters a bit. Not sure why. Anyone have any thoughts,
so I still have the freezing on 4k content. I'm not sure this buffer is working correctly or helping me. I can post what I am using
<advancedsettings>
    <cache>
        <buffermode>2</buffermode>
        <memorysize>99614720</memorysize>
        <readfactor>4</readfactor>
    </cache>
</advancedsettings>
Yes the network could be the root cause.
Do you use Wifi or Wired network connection ? wired is better.
The network speed should be 1Gb, if it's 100Mb, it's not enough for the 4K. What is the lan speed in the shield network option?
Moreover, for the 4K, it's better to have a cache at 150Mb = 157286400.

Did you try other players like MrMc?
MrMc works fine without any advancesettings.xml, just be sure that in the video settings, the option advanced timing is off.
You can test with the lite version which is free.
I need to do wifi for now. I'm using the 5g mhz channels. The speed to netflix is 200+ to 300+ My plan is to somehow get the hardwire connection but I need a friend to help me figure out and run the line. I will test the setting of 157286400
I went almost the whole movie without a freeze with that setting but in the end it still froze. There's no hope with this device for this to work successfully.
Hi, I have the same problem on Nvidia Tube version 2019 only on 4K filesrandomly stops playing I stream the files from my windows 10 PC hard drive I know its not Wifi speed / Network because it also does it on small sized 4k hdr 18gb also use high end Router Asus AX88U and i get full speed from WIFI
(2019-11-17, 03:52)Zak11 Wrote: Hi, I have the same problem on Nvidia Tube version 2019 only on 4K filesrandomly stops playing I stream the files from my windows 10 PC hard drive I know its not Wifi speed / Network because it also does it on small sized 4k hdr 18gb also use high end Router Asus AX88U and i get full speed from WIFI
Hi Zak11,

Don't use SMB to share files but NFS protocol. Then mount your NFS shares directly in Kodi.
There's a bug with the shield to transfert large files via SMB.
(2019-11-17, 09:33)supertoto1977 Wrote:
(2019-11-17, 03:52)Zak11 Wrote: Hi, I have the same problem on Nvidia Tube version 2019 only on 4K filesrandomly stops playing I stream the files from my windows 10 PC hard drive I know its not Wifi speed / Network because it also does it on small sized 4k hdr 18gb also use high end Router Asus AX88U and i get full speed from WIFI
Hi Zak11,

Don't use SMB to share files but NFS protocol. Then mount your NFS shares directly in Kodi.
There's a bug with the shield to transfert large files via SMB. 

Hi thanks will search how to setup NFS instead

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes on 4k videos Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)0