UI response on Kodi 18.4/Raspi4 very slow
Hi everyone,
I installed fresh Kodi 18.4 on my new Raspi 4 / 4GB RAM. Set 320MB to GPU memory. System says anyway it has about 3GB ram still free.
I am using HDMI connected monitor with CEC. It works, but response to any click is about 0,5s which makes it unusable. Previous Rpi3 / Kodi 17 was working flawless.

Reponse is slow even when I control the UI using keyboard directly attached to Raspi, so its not due to sluggish network.

My /boot/config.txt:
bash:
# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=5

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
gpu_mem=320
start_x=0
(2019-11-11, 12:27)KminekMatej Wrote: I installed fresh Kodi 18.4 on my new Raspi 4 / 4GB RAM
Kodi is only an application. Which operating system are you using?

(2019-11-11, 12:27)KminekMatej Wrote: Set 320MB to GPU memory.
Why?

(2019-11-11, 12:27)KminekMatej Wrote: I am using HDMI connected monitor with CEC. It works, but response to any click is about 0,5s which makes it unusable.
Unusable = not working. That is not the case.
A delay of 0.5 via CEC is not that uncommon, it will vary per TV.
(2019-11-11, 12:42)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-11, 12:27)KminekMatej Wrote: I installed fresh Kodi 18.4 on my new Raspi 4 / 4GB RAM
Kodi is only an application. Which operating system are you using?
(2019-11-11, 12:27)KminekMatej Wrote: Set 320MB to GPU memory.
Why?
(2019-11-11, 12:27)KminekMatej Wrote: I am using HDMI connected monitor with CEC. It works, but response to any click is about 0,5s which makes it unusable.
Unusable = not working. That is not the case.
A delay of 0.5 via CEC is not that uncommon, it will vary per TV. 

Memory: Because default is 128MB and many people suggest to increase it on Rpi4 to at least 320 MB. Do you think I should increase / decrease it?

Unusable: 0,5s response on every click on UI makes it unusable. If it wouldn't work, I would say its not working. As I mentioned, delay is happening even when I control it with keyboard and delay wasnt there when I've been using it previously with Raspi 3.

Happy to supply additional relevant system information.
Fun fact - kodi is taking 400% of CPU usage.

Seems to me the load considered to be done by GPU is made by CPU, which causes the lags
(2019-11-11, 14:00)KminekMatej Wrote: Memory: Because default is 128MB and many people suggest to increase it on Rpi4 to at least 320 MB. Do you think I should increase / decrease it?
I'm running LibreELEC on a RPi4/4G with default settings. I don't feel the need to change the GPU memory yet.
Perhaps Raspbian has its own requirements.
(2019-11-11, 15:15)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-11, 14:00)KminekMatej Wrote: Memory: Because default is 128MB and many people suggest to increase it on Rpi4 to at least 320 MB. Do you think I should increase / decrease it?
I'm running LibreELEC on a RPi4/4G with default settings. I don't feel the need to change the GPU memory yet.

LibreELEC is probably an option, but I dont want to give up on Kodi  ...  not yet Smile

I seriously think there is a problem in the new Kodi GPU FKMS driver, which doesnt work as expected. Im not using any X - only GUI is kodi. When I start the kodi (using kodi-rpi4 command), CPU load gets immediately up to 100% and temperature starts to rise up to 70 degrees (obviously). Somehow, GPU is not taking any load, all GPU related tasks are taken by CPU cores.
(2019-11-11, 15:35)KminekMatej Wrote: LibreELEC is probably an option, but I dont want to give up on Kodi  ...  not yet Smile

LibreELEC = OS + Kodi. You would not "give up on Kodi".
Quote ronie: "Estuary is a giant piece of crap." Looking for a new quote. Ideas?
Kodi runs fine on Raspbian, there is no problem with the graphics drivers. Some features are not yet available in the RPi 4, but that's the same for all OSs for now.
It's probably a problem in your setup. For example there is not a kodi-rpi4 command so you probably aren't using the one from the repo.
Post your kodi debug log: https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file

GPU memory requirements are the same. The difference is that Librelec, has it is intended to only run Kodi, has 320Mb by default, and Raspbian, which can run pretty much everything in the Pi, comes with 128Mb by default.
(2019-11-11, 16:20)rascas Wrote:

GPU memory requirements are the same. The difference is that Librelec, has it is intended to only run Kodi, has 320Mb by default, and Raspbian, which can run pretty much everything in the Pi, comes with 128Mb by default. 
Thats 100% true, in repo there is still version 17.? . Version which fits to rpi4 should be 18.4, I followed the installation instructions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...?p=1507245 

Ad LibreELEC: Good to know. Thats actually the reason why I use Raspi + Kodi - there are more things running.

My kodi.log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/bukusikapa.kodi
(that log paste portal here is pretty cool, btw)

Only interesting thing I found there is JSONRPC Server: Failed to connect to sdpd . But I'm not sure it should be something to cause such behaviour. Thanks for any help, btw.
(2019-11-11, 22:50)KminekMatej Wrote:
(2019-11-11, 15:15)Klojum Wrote: I'm running LibreELEC on a RPi4/4G with default settings. I don't feel the need to change the GPU memory yet.

Thats 100% true, in repo there is still version 17.? . Version which fits to rpi4 should be 18.4, I followed the installation instructions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...?p=1507245 

Ad LibreELEC: Good to know. Thats actually the reason why I use Raspi + Kodi - there are more things running.

My kodi.log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/bukusikapa.kodi
(that log paste portal here is pretty cool, btw)

Only interesting thing I found there is JSONRPC Server: Failed to connect to sdpd . But I'm not sure it should be something to cause such behaviour. Thanks for any help, btw. 

Problem solved and I'm banging my head against the wall. As I saw in the log some line with Permission denied mention with something calle DRM, I ran kodi as super user. Everything runs smoothly now.
After a bit searching about what is DRM, everything makes perfect sense Smile.

Thank you for your will to help, guys.
(2019-11-11, 15:15)Klojum Wrote: I'm running LibreELEC on a RPi4/4G with default settings. I don't feel the need to change the GPU memory yet.

No, Kodi 18.4 is available for sometime inow n the repo. The version you are running is old and deprecated. Remove it, and also ~/.kodi and follow the insctrutions here to install it:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...6&t=251645

PS: There is no need to run it with sudo and it is not recommended.
(2019-11-11, 23:00)rascas Wrote:
(2019-11-11, 16:20)rascas Wrote: GPU memory requirements are the same. The difference is that Librelec, has it is intended to only run Kodi, has 320Mb by default, and Raspbian, which can run pretty much everything in the Pi, comes with 128Mb by default.   

No, Kodi 18.4 is available for sometime inow n the repo. The version you are running is old and deprecated. Remove it, and also ~/.kodi and follow the insctrutions here to install it:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...6&t=251645

PS: There is no need to run it with sudo and it is not recommended. 
There is? Damn, that makes me look like even bigger dumbass than before :/. And I would say its not that long since I installed it, hmm.

Thank you man, I owe you a beer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UI response on Kodi 18.4/Raspi4 very slow0