• 1(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
Hi guys,

I have a Shield 2015. I thought that you could throw anything at the shield....... well not.......

I have a dozen of Bly-Ray rips on my network that has Dolby Vision. I tried to play them with Kodi but it only supports HDR as it seems.

Any other way to play local Blu-Ray Dolby Vision rips on the Shield?
Don't dream your life, live your dream
yes buy the 2019 shield that has support for DV, 2015/2017 do not.
(2019-11-16, 02:07)JonSnow88 Wrote: yes buy the 2019 shield that has support for DV, 2015/2017 do not.

And then find out DolbyVision will not work with Kodi on the 2019 Shield.

Yes, it's sad, I hope they come with support for the R19 at some point, it seems they already have most of the work done with Dolby Vision support for addons.
Dolby Vision works fine in an mp4 container just not mkv yet.
Hi Hitcher,

Thanks for sharing the info, what I would like to know if there are any plans to take a look into Dolby Vision support on MKV for R19, or if probably we need to wait a bit further.

Regards!
Kodi has done nothing to enable that as far as I'm aware, thus I suspect it's due to an under the hood ffmpeg change that slipped in without any of us realising when ffmpeg has been updated.
(2020-11-10, 17:09)jjd-uk Wrote: Kodi has done nothing to enable that as far as I'm aware, thus I suspect it's due to an under the hood ffmpeg change that slipped in without any of us realising when ffmpeg has been updated.
I can't double post on the other thread so I'll put some info here.
FFmpeg hasn't received patches to add the new Matroska spec support.
Plex has updated their LICENSE file to mention the latest ffmpeg source update: https://downloads.plex.tv/ffmpeg-source/...dbb.tar.gz

In there, the code for the new Matroska BlockAdditionMapping elements seems to be present. You can search for "mkv_parse_block_addition_mappings", which indicates the dvvc and dvcc support was added for parsing Dolby Vision off of Matroska files.

So the code is definitely available to make changes to ffmpeg, it just hasn't been contributed back.
I can't really help with regards to that, but hopefully this reaches someone who can.
Hi quietvoid,

Many thanks for notice it, those are great news!

Could someone from the team clarify if Kodi uses custom versions of FFMPEG too? If not I guess will need to wait until FFMPEG accept the contribution of Plex and include the support.

Regards.
At least, that could open the door of custom builds of Kodi including the Plex modded FFmpeg, I wonder if that would be sufficient or further changes are needed on the videoplayer part.
its true kodi matrix its going to process DV on mkv container ? thanks
So, given the info about the new beta:

Playback
Software decoding of AV1;subtitle improvements with new dark grey colour and selectable opacity; ability to provide a subtitle URI (URL, local file, etc.); static HDR10 and dynamic Dolby Vision HDR support (platform- and client-dependent). 

We are one step away of have Dolby Vision for MKV on Kodi, what remains is just recognize it from the MKV. Isn't it?
(2020-11-24, 20:59)Eboy36 Wrote: its true kodi matrix its going to process DV on mkv container ? thanks

No, at the moment not.

(2020-11-24, 21:48)siriusbox Wrote: So, given the info about the new beta:

Playback
Software decoding of AV1;subtitle improvements with new dark grey colour and selectable opacity; ability to provide a subtitle URI (URL, local file, etc.); static HDR10 and dynamic Dolby Vision HDR support (platform- and client-dependent). 

We are one step away of have Dolby Vision for MKV on Kodi, what remains is just recognize it from the MKV. Isn't it?

Yes you are right.

In the German Kodi forum www.kodinerds.net there are some interested guys following the mkv Dolby Vision implementation. Here is the thread:

https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thre.../?pageNo=1

Today we testet some mp4 Dolby Vision sample files. You can find them here (14 files):

https://www.demolandia.net/4k-video-test...age-1.html

Yes, its true. Latest Kodi Matrix triggers Dolby Vision. Its possible to play them from a nas (smb) and frame rate switching works as expected for the sample files (I tested 3 files with 60fps and 2 with 24fps, my Kodi is at 50fps per default).

Now we are really only one step away from Kodi triggering Dolby Vision by playing mkv files.

Who is able to view the Plex code and pull the relevant parts to ffmpeg so that we can use it with Kodi?

It would be fantastic to see Dolby Vision mkv implementation with Kodi Matrix final release.

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
@quietvoid has already gone to the effort of exracting the changes Plex did to ffmpeg and submitted them here https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/pull/18
WOW, fantastic news! Thank you so much @quietvoid

Sadly Plex didn’t do it themselves... Anyway, this is awesome! Big Grin

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0