780g Ati hd3200 VSync / Video tearing (has anybody got this working)
Star 
The short version off my question is this:
Has anybody got the 780G chipset with the Ati HD3200 working with XBMC without screen tearing and with a fixed refresh rate?
Long version:
I've seached both the net and the forum and my conclusion so far,
the fglrx driver can't vsync
no open source driver allows for good acceleration
some xorg.conf options seem to reduse tearing a little bit
all and all it doesn't result in watchable video.
i know this is prob not a real XBMC issue (XBMC for Win is working without tearing) but what i would like to know is there is a workaround for this.
I still prefer the Linux version, although the Win version is catching up nicely.

Tried on:
Ubuntu sever edition 7.10 and 8.04
Catalyst 8.5 and 8.6
A lot of XBMC builds both PPA and svn

XBMC is still the only way to go for me now it is just the question off what OS to run it onLaugh

thnx in advance
What do you mean by "fixed refresh rate" ?

It took me a few weeks of testing everything but now I have no tearing at all.

I answered to someone witht the same issue here :

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34647

XBMC Linux Ubuntu 8.04 - Antec Fusion Black
Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H - AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350
Corsair 2Go DDRII PC6400 - Samsung Spinpoint 500 Go
Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000 - Logitech Harmony 555
My HD3200 doesn't work neither for movies! :-( Tearing all the way... But I didn't invest a lot of time because I had an old NVidia GPU lying around. I would be interrested in a solution too, so I could take out the NVidia card.
Maybe this could help in a near future?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...&px=NjU5NQ
@eversmann: i've seen it and it upped my hope for the new open source drivers.
@Gaarv: Everything u point out in the thread i've tried before,
also u can enable vsync (textured video) without te CCC control panel just use aticonfig.
i don't really belief u resolved the probs this way because the vsync in the CCC is broken.
@NEI: not a sollution but it works mutch better, try XBMC Win.

Thnx all for your reply's

I think i'll wait for the next catalist or radeonhd driver and give it an other try
I'm aware of the possibility to enable vsync by aticonfig --sync-vsync={on|off} but it did nothing for me.

Moreover, the cursor on the ATI control panel can slide to 4 differents positions when on/off is only 2.

When I finally saw that the tearing was gone, I diff'ed all files related to xorg, nothing particular was here. Since it was a new comptuer, I did at each try a reinstall of the root system using the alternate CD. I cant see anything else that resolved this issue.

Only thing I can think of is that I dont use fixed resolutions or refresh rate. I just let autodetect do the job, I got 1080p 60Hz no problem.

Gaarv:

The drivers that come with Ubuntu (and the drivers supplied by EnvyNG) do not appear to support vsync. Following advice on these forums I installed the newest Catalyst drivers manually, using this:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...tion_Guide

Those DO seem to support vsync. However you will probably get some tearing still. I managed to fix that by switching to a 24Hz refresh rate.

Unfortunately, all those tweaks (especially the vsync) have rendered my 780g a bit too slow to play anything over 720p (and it drops frames on a lot of those). I've since upgraded to an Intel G35 and E8400 CPU, which seems MUCH more capable.
Hey it was your advice I followed!
Can some1 actually confirm that the method gaarv uses works? I gave up the HD3200 a while ago and running with a Geforce7300GT now.. Works out of the box without a glitch..

If the gaarv method works, i'm gonna save me some more heat and use the onboard ATI... I'm very curious by the way when ATI will jump to a 9.x version of the driver.
Hey.. I'm trying the procedure gaarv suggested but cannot seem to find the V-Sync optionHuh Only see one in the 3d options, but that's different, isn't it?
Nope, should be this one. Its a slider with performance <-> quality

Followed this guide: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...yst_8.7.29
and tearing is now gone. xD Thank you!
Now there is only this stupid underscan problem left.. damn ati..
I've toyed around with so many configs

i have a x800 that has crazy tearing with the manual install of the ati drivers under a full ubuntu build. i have a 780g with the windows version running... ok video drop frames

the system that our performs the others is the live usb on a single core athlon and a geforce 6200. It plays most 720p content i throw at it.
Hi guys,

Sorry, non-english speaker question: what is "tearing"?

My HTPC box has a 780G running XBMC with the hardware acceleration turned on, and I didn't notice anything special. Maybe very slightly blurry but it might come from the screen, the file, etc.

Thanks in advance !
Gurney Wrote:Hi guys,

Sorry, non-english speaker question: what is "tearing"?

My HTPC box has a 780G running XBMC with the hardware acceleration turned on, and I didn't notice anything special. Maybe very slightly blurry but it might come from the screen, the file, etc.

Thanks in advance !
Notice the 'line' in the middle: the upper image is out of sync.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
780g Ati hd3200 VSync / Video tearing (has anybody got this working)0