Does Kodi on Ubuntu offer the same experience as say Librelec?
Minus HDR support which I understand isn’t working on linux x86, is everything else the same?

I need a solution for a 1080p TV and I have a sky lake NUC which I want to repurpose as Kodi/desktop. Will I get hd audio, auto refresh, etc as I would on a dedicated LE or Corelec box?
(2019-11-19, 19:59)ozkhan1 Wrote: Minus HDR support which I understand isn’t working on linux x86, is everything else the same?

I need a solution for a 1080p TV and I have a sky lake NUC which I want to repurpose as Kodi/desktop. Will I get hd audio, auto refresh, etc as I would on a dedicated LE or Corelec box?

I will preface by saying that I have no experience with LibreElec or any of the other dedicated kodi setups like it. That being said, it should have those. You are going to be running a full Ubuntu system behind it. I believe I have all of those options on my Ubuntu boxes with no trouble. And honestly I personally would rather run Kodi the way it was designed, by the Kodi team, rather than whatever modifications if any have been done to it. But that is me personally. At the end of the day, my Ubuntu setup all works wonderfully save one minor issue that just recently popped up, and it seems to only have happened when changing my main NFS server to Debian from Ubuntu. For an Intel system hdmi though you may need to kind of hack the pulseaudio config to get it to work. This seems to be a general hdmi audio issue with Intel. Not sure if fixed in Sky Lake. I can't access it at the moment but I can get a patch for the pulse config file from my system that you would need to force hdmi to default output and work right.
It is the same but LE is more streamlined, setup ready to use and for the most part, 'it just works'. With ubuntu you'll need to manually configure everything a lot (eg screen compositors, pulseaudio, remotes etc), but you can get a very similar setup..
(2019-11-20, 08:30)teeedubb Wrote: With ubuntu you'll need to manually configure everything

Everything? So far for me, Ubuntu also "just works". If you have specific wishes on sound handling or for example remotes, then some manual labor could be necessary.
All defaults should give you normal playback already.
(2019-11-20, 08:39)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-20, 08:30)teeedubb Wrote: With ubuntu you'll need to manually configure everything

Everything? So far for me, Ubuntu also "just works". If you have specific wishes on sound handling or for example remotes, then some manual labor could be necessary.
All defaults should give you normal playback already. 

Yeah "everything" is bit of a stretch, but there will still be lots of config to get a similar experience to LE. I wish I had normal playback on my recent 19.10 install, it would have saved me many hours.
I only do LTS versions, I'm too lazy to (re)install or upgrade every 6 months Cool
(2019-11-20, 08:30)teeedubb Wrote: It is the same but LE is more streamlined, setup ready to use and for the most part, 'it just works'. With ubuntu you'll need to manually configure everything a lot (eg screen compositors, pulseaudio, remotes etc), but you can get a very similar setup..

Excellent. Now I am considering putting an intel nuc on the 4k tv as well and retire my shield, once the hdr Kodi support for intel linux arrives.. Is there a knowledge base or instructions for ubuntu Kodi for optimal settings you referred to?
@Klojum Yeah me too... after 19.10 I'll stick with LTS releases.

@ozkhan1 There isnt really one place that I know of - it depends which distro you chose and what you want to achieve. Just google what youre trying to do. Good places are these forums, kodi wiki, arch wiki, ask ubuntu and man pages. I chose to go with xubuntu because its basic but full featured and I use it for more than kodi. What ever desktop you chose, go with an ubuntu based one - they have loads of software available and lots of info available for them.
(2019-11-20, 23:22)ozkhan1 Wrote: Is there a knowledge base or instructions for ubuntu Kodi for optimal settings you referred to?

If you want to go the long way, you could try going down this path: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi on Ubuntu offer the same experience as say Librelec?0