New Low budget Media Server advice?
At the beginning of 2019 I switch my media server from a Mac Mini (late 2009) to a broken Asus laptop with a 1.6GHz dual core. The move went better than expected and has worked great as an Emby server and running TVHeadend serving 2 Chromeboxes and two raspberry pi 3’s. I do not do any transcoding.

The Asus is not as fixed as I had hoped and its days are numbered. So I need a low budget replacement.

The are two options that got my attention.

Back in Dec 2018 @ptjay260476 had an interesting suggestion,

“Thought about using a Raspberry Pi as a NAS? You can add the external HDD with it, or even as a penny pinching option use Libreelec on your Pi, with the external HDD connected, there is a setting that allows the HDD to be shared, so it could be possible to do it that way.
Three instances of Kodi should be fine for the Raspberry Pi 3b+ as a NAS.”

Now with the Pi 4 out is this an even better option?
I like the price of the Pi and the idea of using LibreElec and emby in Docker would be an easy setup and very little new stuff to learn. If it can really work.

A few days ago I asked @matt Devo in the Chromebox thread about perhaps using one of my Chromeboxes as a server. And replace it with a Pi as a client.
He replyed, “I would probably run something like OpenMediaVault, but don't see a problem unless you're connecting multiple external drives (since limited by USB3 bandwidth) or expecting Emby to do heavy transcoding I'd also go with the N2 over the pi4”

I did not know what N2 was. My friend Google changed that!

So now I am thinking an Odroid N2 with OMV could be the best way to go. More money and setup time, but better for the long run.
Given my low-ish requirements do I even need this?
No transcoding and only 2 streams at a time max.

The N2 is at the upper limit of my budget and would require more time to learning and setup OMV, docker for Tvheadend and Emby.

So what do you think?
I am grateful for any further insights you may have to offer.
(2019-11-27, 16:30)mxlance Wrote: So I need a low budget replacement.
How low is that?

How many drives do you need/want to put in the 'server'?
The RPi4 is pretty stable with Raspbian, LibreELEC and Ubuntu Mate.

As a file server I personally prefer a more actively cooled PC case with the drive(s) inside and with a (passively cooled) motherboard, such as a j4105 or j5005 with a pico psu.
@Klojum
$275 max
Thank you for the reply and more to think about. I forgot about going this way-silly me.
I do have an old desktop case i could possibly reuse.
Or perhaps go with an NUC for simmaler money. I have a SSD.

Right now my Asus laptop server just has four 4TB drives connected via USB.
To be honest this has been just fine. No buffering, no issues.

So a NUC/j5005 would be an upgrade.
(2019-11-27, 16:30)mxlance Wrote: So now I am thinking an Odroid N2 with OMV could be the best way to go. More money and setup time, but better for the long run.
Given my low-ish requirements do I even need this?
No transcoding and only 2 streams at a time max.

The HardKernel Odroid-HC2 (click) is pretty good DIY NAS budget option.

https://www.hardkernel.com/distributors/

HC2 on Amazon (click)

@wrxtasy - Thank you for the reply and info

Thanks to all for the advice.
So as of this moment i have narrowed my choices down to 3
ll of these will work for my present needs.            

Odroid HC2 = $168 w/shipping and all needed accessories:
Pro: Price
Con: Higher learning curve and setup, Performance at lower end but good enough for now.

Odroid N2 = $198 w/ shipping
Pro: Price well under budget, Performance looks good for the future.
Con: Higher learning curve and setup

Intel NUC NUC7PJYH (J5005) = $227.00  w/ shipping
Pro: Price still under budget, Zero learning curve. (I have an SSD setup and ready to boot), Performance looks good for the future
Con: Not that i can see.

All things considered the NUC looks like the winner unless you have something to add.
Thanks again for the assistance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Low budget Media Server advice?0